News: Tony Romo calls out Broncos' secondary for rough play

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lindsay H. Jones, USA TODAY Sports 9:33 p.m. EDT October 2, 2013

The Cowboys quarterback on Wednesday offered perhaps a back-handed compliment to the Broncos' secondary when he said Denver's defensive backs "do a great job with their hands."

"They grab, they hold, they've almost put a lot of pressure on the refs – whether or not they're going to call the game close or not," Romo said on a conference call with reporters in Denver. "If they get called once or twice, that's a good thing. But they're all over guys as far as using the little tricks, I guess you could say, that good linebackers and good secondaries use when they're playing man coverage."

Romo said he didn't think the Broncos had been "exposed with a lot of penalties."

Denver's defensive backs would probably disagree.

More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...las-cowboys-denver-broncos-secondary/2912851/

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

The Cowboys quarterback on Wednesday offered perhaps a back-handed compliment to the Broncos' secondary when he said Denver's defensive backs "do a great job with their hands."

"They grab, they hold, they've almost put a lot of pressure on the refs – whether or not they're going to call the game close or not," Romo said on a conference call with reporters in Denver. "If they get called once or twice, that's a good thing. But they're all over guys as far as using the little tricks, I guess you could say, that good linebackers and good secondaries use when they're playing man coverage."

Romo said he didn't think the Broncos had been "exposed with a lot of penalties."

More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...las-cowboys-denver-broncos-secondary/2912851/

Soon, Romo will get blamed for the government shutdown.

This isn't news. It's tabloid journalism with a headline like that.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Soon, Romo will get blamed for the government shutdown.

This isn't news. It's tabloid journalism with a headline like that.

Dont think it is. Romo is going what the Harbaughs have been doing. Putting something out there that will now grab the refs attention. Same thing Jim Harbaugh did vs the packers this yr. Smart by Romo

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dont think it is. Romo is going what the Harbaughs have been doing. Putting something out there that will now grab the refs attention. Same thing Jim Harbaugh did vs the packers this yr. Smart by Romo

My only point is the headline was shoddy journalism at best. Rereading what I wrote, that seems pretty clear.

Plumfool

Reaction score
My only point is the headline was shoddy journalism at best. Rereading what I wrote, that seems pretty clear.

Yea it seems like a move Phil Jackson would take prior to a NBA finals. And it usually worked for a game or two.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Ha. Well that's interesting. Of course if Denver gets called a bunch for that against Dallas he'll likely get blasted for whinning or something.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Ha. Well that's interesting. Of course if Denver gets called a bunch for that against Dallas he'll likely get blasted for whinning or something.

Yeah, I can see it now, but I'm sure that he'd be glad to take the heat if it helped on the field.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Hmm...If only he'd said something about the OL for the Chargers before last weeks game.

The Natural

Reaction score
Hmm...If only he'd said something about the OL for the Chargers before last weeks game.
If Ware or Hatcher had said something about the Chargers OL then yea that might have resonated with the officials, you cant count on your QB to do that, and I dont think I've ever heard Ware say anything to this extent about another teams line. I like Tony planting the seeds in the refs mind early.

Cebrin

Reaction score
If Ware or Hatcher had said something about the Chargers OL then yea that might have resonated with the officials, you cant count on your QB to do that, and I dont think I've ever heard Ware say anything to this extent about another teams line. I like Tony planting the seeds in the refs mind early.

Me too. That game frustrated me for the amount of holding and blatant clothes lining I watched without one yellow flag to follow.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The piece I read had Romo mentioning that Denver gets away with a lot while Dallas has gotten flags for the same stuff.
He then also said that good CBs take what they can, and that Denver's players were just doing what they could get away with...so he did not fault them.

Dez and Witten get held an lot.

ilykdrama

Reaction score
I agree, smart move by Romo. Our only chance on offense is for our defense to shut down Broncos O (highly unlikely) or us to have a shootout with Peyton, but if the refs aren't clearly looking for PI's we'll get manhandled if we don't get those calls.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Tony should worry more about the hands the Broncs defense will be putting on him. But i agrees that a pre-emptive strike is good advance work by him.