Tony Romo... Franchise Quarterback?

Decleater101

Reaction score
ROMOSAPIEN9;2449873 said:
I think there's no debating whether or not Romo is what you'd call a "franchise quarterback."

Not only does he clearly epitomize the term, but he may well be the most valuable player in Dallas Cowboys franchise history. Just above Emmitt Smith already.

Naw. If he were a franchise quarterback Jerry would have paid him MUCH MORE than SIXTY SEVEN MILLION!

:banghead:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Romo a franchise QB? Umm yah, you think? Cmon guys, even talking like there's a question about this, which I refuse to even be specific cause ..... well do I even have to explain? Just wow!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think there's no debating whether or not Romo is what you'd call a "franchise quarterback."

Not only does he clearly epitomize the term, but he may well be the most valuable player in Dallas Cowboys franchise history. Just above Emmitt Smith already.

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

He hasn't taken this team to the Super Bowl and even if he does that, he has to win.

Sorry, but the bar is set high for Cowboys players. It's not enough to amass stats. He must win the Super Bowl.

Having said that, I do think he's a franchise quarterback. But, as Parcells said, "Put away the anointing oil."

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Eskimo;2450056 said:
Closer to 3 out of every 4 games, but the kid is a winner.

The other amazing thing is how good he is with the game on the line and the ball in his hands. I honestly think it is approaching a toss-up between P. Manning, Brady and him.

Yes!!!! Best post on this thread. I'm not even looking at this with biased eyes. The thing is, Brady and Manning do things Romo can do and does, but Romo does things ie; improvise and buy time in ways that they can't. I said it today, I have him as the 2nd best QB in the league only because Brady is hurt and I don't know if he's got what he had last year for more than 1 season. Peyton, I always thought was the best but he's # 3 right now behind Brady and our guy.

Guys, we are probably watching the best QB in the league right now, he is so dynamic and explosive. At any given time he can turn a broken play into the highlight of the night, the game winning TD. This guy is so good, like Peyton was without the mobility, that he can have an unreal amount of turnovers in a game, not that this is acceptable, and still win because he'll still put up over 24 points. He is the most aggressive offensive weapon in the league right now, with an almost 3:1 success ratio. I don't care what anyone says, that's what this guy has been doing since Thanksgiving against the Bucs 2 1/2 seasons ago.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Eskimo;2450056 said:
Closer to 3 out of every 4 games, but the kid is a winner.

The other amazing thing is how good he is with the game on the line and the ball in his hands. I honestly think it is approaching a toss-up between P. Manning, Brady and him.

Dude.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2450106 said:

He's so right man. Toss it up between the 3. Romo is better than Manning right now. Brady, we'll see next year and 'm willing to bet it's the case. Brees and Rivers can squabble for # 4. Palmer who knows, you guys are probably laughing I even bring the guys name up at this point.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2450169 said:
He's so right man. Toss it up between the 3. Romo is better than Manning right now. Brady, we'll see next year and 'm willing to bet it's the case. Brees and Rivers can squabble for # 4. Palmer who knows, you guys are probably laughing I even bring the guys name up at this point.

Did you even watch who Brees throws to? And how many of his Offensive players have been injured through the year?

I am all for being a homer, but some of the fans go way overboard. Brees is amazing considering the talent around him. Romo has almost has 3 No. 1 Recievers. Remember that. I would love to bash Brees accomplishments too, but having watched few games this year, no doubt, Brees should be MVP, although Warner is getting more hype.

Romo is darn good, and MVP for this team, but lets not go overboard and start warming up the annointing oil already. Can we at least wait till maybe Romo wins a Playoff game before we start annointing him top 2 QBs in NFL? Geez...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Franchise Quarterback? Absolutely no question about it.

ROMOSAPIEN9;2450031 said:
I think he's the best QB we've ever had. I really do.
That would not be correct. This has been a franchise rich in tradition with great QB's who have won multiple Super Bowls. Romo has never gone to bed a playoff winner yet. Let's keep this "best QB we've ever had" business in perspective.

Deefens

Reaction score
I'm so happy that I get to watch and cheer for Romo and not Eli Manning. Silver spoon Manning is a boring dork, Romo is so much cooler and my type of guy.

adamc91115

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2450231 said:
Did you even watch who Brees throws to? And how many of his Offensive players have been injured through the year?

I am all for being a homer, but some of the fans go way overboard. Brees is amazing considering the talent around him. Romo has almost has 3 No. 1 Recievers. Remember that. I would love to bash Brees accomplishments too, but having watched few games this year, no doubt, Brees should be MVP, although Warner is getting more hype.

Romo is darn good, and MVP for this team, but lets not go overboard and start warming up the annointing oil already. Can we at least wait till maybe Romo wins a Playoff game before we start annointing him top 2 QBs in NFL? Geez...

Since he's so amazing, how many rings does Brees have?
Nah... I will say Brees is having a great season. But, you gotta look a little closer... Brees averages 8.4 Yards per Attempt, Romo averages 8.5. Meaning if Romo threw as many times per game as Brees, he would have the yardage totals too.

Not to mention, Romo is nearly matching Brees' TD total in 2 fewer games... He also has less interceptions and a higher QB rating.

Not trying to take anything away from Brees, but just pointing out that Romo is closer to that top 2 than you think. And if he can finish off this season strong going 3-1 or even 4-0, he should get strong consideration for MVP.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2450238 said:
Franchise Quarterback? Absolutely no question about it.

That would not be correct. This has been a franchise rich in tradition with great QB's who have won multiple Super Bowls. Romo has never gone to bed a playoff winner yet. Let's keep this "best QB we've ever had" business in perspective.

Staubach is his only competition. Because he, like Romo, had "it." Whatever "it" is.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AKATheRake;2450086 said:
Romo a franchise QB? Umm yah, you think? Cmon guys, even talking like there's a question about this, which I refuse to even be specific cause ..... well do I even have to explain? Just wow!

But, he's soft, right? :rolleyes: He refused to play with a broken bone in his throwing hand! All this was said by YOU and Rampage! Ohhh, but now in your eyes he's all that and a sandwich?

Yeah, why should you have to explain anything!

:rolleyes:

Aikbach

Reaction score

Brakes! Somebody get this man new brakes! Romo is exquisite, a wonderful surprise that currently ranks as the 5th best quarterback in Cowboy history in terms of achievement but with the upside to become number two.

As of now however:

Aikman: 3 Supes and a fourth Title game appearance

Staubach: 2 Supes, 5 appearances, 7 Title game apps.

White: 3 Title game apps.

Meredith: 2 Title game apps

Romo: ?

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I don't think there's any question Romo's a franchise quarterback. He's probably our most valuable player, statistically among the game's best and gives this team a fighting chance every time he suits up.

On a historical level, I don't think it's a stretch to say Romo might soon become the best regular-season quarterback in this team's history, if he's not already there. From his record, to his stats, to the impact he makes to how fun he is to watch, I think the argument can be successfully made.

Unfortunately for Romo, when you talk "best QB in Cowboys history," regular season performance is essentially a footnote at the end of the page. Romo's 3,000-yard seasons, 30 TDs, Pro Bowls -- none of it really matters until/unless he wins a Super Bowl, or at the very least takes the team deep, deep into the playoffs on multiple occasions.

I mean, people remember one stat of Aikman's -- his three rings. No one cares about his yards or TDs. With Staubach, it's similar, though he had some real impressive numbers to support the rings he won.

Now, if Romo can win a ring or five ( :) ), then his regular-season stuff only pads his resume. Until then, though, it'll probably be viewed as fluff by the masses.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I think some forget that it's not just the QB that matters in whether you have a championship team or not. I really don't think you can tell me with a straight face that if you put Romo in at QB on some of the past Cowboys championship teams, they wouldn't still be champions.

Each of those teams had the talent and coaching across the board to win it all. This one might, but we won't know that until we do it. Romo is one of the pieces that, to me, is ready to win one. It's a matter of if we can put the other required pieces around him to do it.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Ozzu;2450581 said:
I think some forget that it's not just the QB that matters in whether you have a championship team or not. I really don't think you can tell me with a straight face that if you put Romo in at QB on some of the past Cowboys championship teams, they wouldn't still be champions.

Each of those teams had the talent and coaching across the board to win it all. This one might, but we won't know that until we do it. Romo is one of the pieces that, to me, is ready to win one. It's a matter of if we can put the other required pieces around him to do it.

No doubt. But there's no denying that with this franchise's history at the quarterback position, quarterbacks past, present and future will be judged on essentially one thing: Championships.

Maybe it's not fair, but I've never seen any evidence this isn't the case.

I agree that Romo's as masterful at the position (regular season, at least), perhaps, as anyone we've ever had here. But it hasn't translated to playoff success, and careers of the great ones (other than Barry Sanders it seems) aren't generally judged on the regular season.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I think it is clear that Romo is a better than average starting QB.

He has a strong supporting cast. Heck, Owens is a future Hall of Famer; Witten could be headed to Canton. That offense has several other probowls, too.

I don't know how good Romo can be.

He's going to average 1 or 2 bonehead (e.g., Farve-like lapses) plays per game that lead to actual or narrowly avoided turnovers -- because that's just part of Romo's gunslinger style. It's tough to overcome that on a consistent basis, over a stretch of must win games against the best teams.

If Romo can continue to develop his mental game ... the cool confident leadership that wills his team to wins (Staubach, Montana, and Brady had that), then Romo will have a special career.

If he doesn't, he'll be another Rich Gannon, Jim Hart, Roman Gabriel, Mark Brunell, Jeff Garcia, Matt Hasselbeck, Daryle Lamonica, Ken Anderson, John Brodie, or (insert name of occasional Pro Bowl QB here). No shame in being a QB of this level, but of course we are all hoping that Romo will be more than this.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Better than Staubach? Better than Aikman? Romo's gotta win in the playoffs to even be considered in that rarified air.

Aikman - three rings. Staubach - two rings. Romo - zero, nada, zilch.

I really like Romo and I'm rooting for the guy. Of course I am - we sink or swim with him.

But please... let's hold off on the annointing for now.

I really liked Danny White. And he actually won quite a bit in the playoffs, too. But we ALL know how that turned out.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2450231 said:

The anointing oil is for Ohio my friend, I didn't say he's a Hall of Famer. I believe Romo is a better QB than Drew Brees. I think Brees is awesome, just behind Manning who no doubt will be a Hall of Famer. Now when I rank these QB's I'm saying talent level for this current season, not career cause Romo wouldn't even be on my top 100 if that was the case.

In regards to who Drew Brees has to work with offensively Marcus Colston was a pro bowler last year who got snubbed, everyone knows that. Regardless of where the guy was drafted he can play very well in this league. By the way, Romo wasn't drafted any higher than Colston r Tom Brady for that manner. Jeremy Shockey has burried us for years and Brees also has a running back named Reggie Bush who catches 100 balls a year. Yes he has injuries to deal with this year and he's doing a hell of a job, no one took that from him but you got all gassed up and made it sound like I said Drew Brees is a chump, no shot. Never said anything close to that. But don't telle me Drew Brees has had nobody to play with down in New Orleans or San Diego for that matter.

In regards to Romo there is no doubt that he has alot of talent to play with, superior talent. In regards to your 3 starting WR's to throw too comment Romo has only had # 11 for 2 games. Ask T.O and Witten how productive they were when Drew Bledsoe, Brad Johnson or Brooks Bollinger was throwing to them? Ask this team in the last 3 to 4 years how productive they were period without Romo. The same could be said for Brees.

You're going to bring Warner up? Cmon, Tony runs circles around the guy talent wise as we speak. Just to boot Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin might catch a ball or 2. How come Tony is the only QB with some talent around him the way you make it sound? Drew Brees' problem is the deep ball, he in no way creates as many big plays as #9. Actually no QB in the league creates as many big plays, has as good a 3rd down completion %, Yards per 3rd down completion or yards per catch. Tony Romo attacks every part of the field lik no other QB right now. Tom Brady is hurt and if he still has what he had last year, he's # 1. Manning is still good but there is no doubt that Romo right now, talent wise is better than Manning who also attacks all parts f the field. Brees is awesome, but he can't attack all parts of the field like the 3 QB's afforementioned.

Romo updated Season Stats:

103.1 Rating
8.53 Yards per Attempt
7.0% TD percentage
2.6% INT percentage

Romo's Career Stats among all active QBs:

Career QB Rating - Active QBs: Romo is #1
Career YPA - Active QBs: Romo is #1
Career YPC - Active QBs: Romo is #1
Career - Active QBs: Adj Yards per pass attempt: Romo #1
Career - Active QBs: Net Yards per Attempt: Romo is #1
Career - Active QBs: Adj Net Yards per Attempt: Romo is #1

---I'd also like to note that Romo's near 65% career completion percentage combined with his Yards Per Attempts and Completions is just completely out of this world!!--

Career Touchdown percentage - Active QBs:

(What the heck - I'll give you the entire list here)

1. Tony Romo(28) 6.6% <--------a full percentage point over #2 on the list.
2. Peyton Manning(32) 5.6%
3. Ben Roethlisberger(26) 5.4%
4. Tom Brady(31) 5.4%
5. Philip Rivers(27) 5.2%
6. Kurt Warner(37) 5.1%
7. Brett Favre(39) 5.1%
8. Carson Palmer(29) 4.9%
9. Daunte Culpepper(31) 4.8%
10. Jake Delhomme(33) 4.8%
11. Derek Anderson(25) 4.8%
12. Jay Cutler(25) 4.8%
13. Drew Brees(29) 4.5%
14.Donovan McNabb(32) 4.5%
15. Matt Hasselbeck(33) 4.4%
16. Eli Manning (27) 4.4%
17. Jeff Garcia(38) 4.4%
18. Trent Green(38) 4.3%
19. Brian Griese(33) 4.3%
20. Chad Pennington(32) 4.1%
21. Marc Bulger(31) 4.1%
22. Brad Johnson(40) 3.8%
23. Patrick Ramsey(29) 3.8%
24. Byron Leftwich(28) 3.8%
25. Jon Kitna(36) 3.7%
26.Gus Frerotte(37) 3.7%
27. David Garrard(30) 3.7%
28. Damon Huard(35) 3.5%
29. Rex Grossman(28) 3.4%
30. Josh McCown(29) 3.3%
31. Jason Campbell (27) 3.3%
32.Kerry Collins(36) 3.3%
33. David Carr(29) 2.9%

Career QB Rating - Active QBs:

(Romo is #1 all-time career as well - Just doesn't have the 1,500 attempts to qualify yet)

1. Tony Romo (28) 98.2 <-------updated
2. Kurt Warner (37) 94.4
3. Peyton Manning (32) 94.2
4. Tom Brady (31) 92.9
5. Philip Rivers (27) 90.9
6. Ben Roethlisberger (26) 90.3
7. Chad Pennington (32) 89.6
8. Drew Brees (29) 89.4
9. Daunte Culpepper (31) 89.1
10. Carson Palmer (29) 88.9
11. Jeff Garcia (38) 87.8
12. Jay Cutler (25) 87.7
13. Marc Bulger (31) 86.6
14. Brett Favre (39) 86.0
15. Trent Green (38) 86.0
16. David Garrard (30) 85.9
17. Donovan McNabb (32) 85.3
18. Jake Delhomme (33) 84.6
19. Matt Hasselbeck (33) 84.6
20. Brian Griese (33) 82.6
21. Brad Johnson (40) 82.5
22. Jason Campbell (27) 81.8
23. Damon Huard (35) 80.6
24. Byron Leftwich (28) 80.3
25. Jon Kitna (36) 76.6
26. Eli Manning (27) 76.2
27. Derek Anderson (25) 75.3
28. Patrick Ramsey (29) 74.9
29. David Carr (29) 74.6
30. Gus Frerotte (37) 74.4
31. Kerry Collins (36) 73.8
32. Josh McCown (29) 71.6
33. Rex Grossman (28) 70.2

The guy needs to win us a Super Bowl, no doubt. But don't tell me he isn't better than Brees, don't tell me the guy currently isn't a top 3 QB in this league talent wise. We are undoubtably watching 1 of the 3 best QB's in this league every week when we watch the Cowboys. Don't tell me Tony isn't a leader either, we saw what this "super talented" team does when Romo isn't playing. Drew Brees never played in the NFC East, you ask any QB in the league what they think playing in the NFC East would be like. I'm sure the majority would tell you it's the toughest division to play football in right now, maybe the last 3 years. Maybe.