News: Tony Romo gets heat -- what about Monte Kiffin, Jason Garrett?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
When the Dallas Cowboys lost a 51-48 shootout to the Denver Broncos in Week 5, I wrote a column ripping the Cowboys' defense and absolving Tony Romo of blame despite his late interception. Romo had a game for the ages on that day.

Understand that Romo is not without blame for Sunday's 37-36 loss to the Green Bay Packers: He's one of the goats in this epic Dallas collapse. But if you're pointing the finger of blame, you need to use an entire hand before getting around to Romo. The play selection on Sunday destroyed Dallas. The defense on Sunday, above all, deflated Dallas. The structure of the team, set up for failure, doomed Dallas.

nflnetworklogo_replay.gif
On NFL Network
NFL Replay
will re-air the Green Bay Packers' 37-36 win over the Dallas Cowboys from Week 15 on Wednesday, Dec. 18 at 9 p.m. ET.

» NFL Network schedule
It's very simple: The Cowboys' defense is horrendous. It isn't tough. It isn't clutch. It isn't well-coached.

Monte Kiffin's unit was overmatched, again, six days after getting bludgeoned by Josh McCown and the Chicago Bears. Kiffin's defense held a 26-3 halftime lead over a Packers team led by Matt Flynn. Yes, the same Matt Flynn who was traded by the Seattle Seahawks just over one year after signing a big contract. The same Matt Flynn who was cut in October by the quarterback-challenged Oakland Raiders so they could keep undrafted rookie Matt McGloin. The same Matt Flynn jettisoned in November by the Buffalo Bills, who favored Jeff Tuel -- another undrafted rookie. That Matt Flynn threw four touchdown passes in the second half against the Dallas defense. You couldn't make this up if you tried.

Go ahead and blame Romo in lazy fashion. But Romo doesn't play defense.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...n-jerry-jones?campaign=Twitter_writers_schein

tomsanders921

Reaction score
But he did have the ball in his hand on back to back possessions to win the game and he threw interceptions on both drives. He deserves plenty of blame, along with the defense and coaching staff.

Bottom line though, Romo is getting paid over 100 million dollars to win games like that, not be the reason we lose. I don't care if Garrett called a run with an option to pass. Romo has been around long enough to know you can't make that mistake. Let's not act like he is a rookie who the coaches should protect. He is one of the highest paid players of all time. Players like that should not make those crucial mistakes time and time again.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Jesus with the hyperbole.

Romo is not getting paid 100 million dollars.

Tell me about drew Bree's last two games on the road when his defense got manhandled.

How did Bree's look in Seattle and yesterday in st.louis. Till me the details.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
But he did have the ball in his hand on back to back possessions to win the game and he threw interceptions on both drives. He deserves plenty of blame, along with the defense and coaching staff.

Bottom line though, Romo is getting paid over 100 million dollars to win games like that, not be the reason we lose. I don't care if Garrett called a run with an option to pass. Romo has been around long enough to know you can't make that mistake. Let's not act like he is a rookie who the coaches should protect. He is one of the highest paid players of all time. Players like that should not make those crucial mistakes time and time again.

For me..

This is a good bit of disconnect b/w the QB and the HC..

b/w the owner and HC..

and a lot of protecting each others backsides.

So much so..nothing can be changed without removing one of them.

And that isn't going to happen for years.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
Jesus with the hyperbole.

Romo is not getting paid 100 million dollars.

Tell me about drew Bree's last two games on the road when his defense got manhandled.

How did Bree's look in Seattle and yesterday in st.louis. Till me the details.

You aren't seriously comparing Brees and Romo are you?

I don't see how anyone can defend Romo. Yes, he gets too much blame for losses when it comes to the media. But he is not a QB that will get you anywhere. He will almost always find a way to break your heart.

Perfect example yesterday. He makes a great play at the end to avoid Mathews. He has austin wide open when it comes to nfl standards. Yet he panics and throws behind him.

Romo will lead the team on comeback wins against bad teams. He does not do it against good teams. That's the bottom line. I'm sure you can point out a time or two where he did it against good teams, but you get the point.

If it is a meaningful game and you need him to make a play, chances are he will do something crazy. I have defended him for so long but the same thing happens over and over

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
You aren't seriously comparing Brees and Romo are you?

I don't see how anyone can defend Romo. Yes, he gets too much blame for losses when it comes to the media. But he is not a QB that will get you anywhere. He will almost always find a way to break your heart.

Perfect example yesterday. He makes a great play at the end to avoid Mathews. He has austin wide open when it comes to nfl standards. Yet he panics and throws behind him.

Romo will lead the team on comeback wins against bad teams. He does not do it against good teams. That's the bottom line. I'm sure you can point out a time or two where he did it against good teams, but you get the point.

If it is a meaningful game and you need him to make a play, chances are he will do something crazy. I have defended him for so long but the same thing happens over and over

Yes I am absolutely comparing romo and Bree's.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I can't even blame Kiffin and the defense anymore. Kiffin's hands are tied, there's really not much he can do when the backups of the injured backups who were replacing the starters are forced to play. Many of the players they are forced to play were picked up only a month ago or even a week ago.

Everyone is screaming for in-game adjustments, well what adjustments can one seriously make with about 6-7 players on the field who not only have little experience with their teammates on defense but lack NFL experience too?

tomsanders921

Reaction score
I can't even blame Kiffin and the defense anymore. Kiffin's hands are tied, there's really not much he can do when the backups of the injured backups who were replacing the starters are forced to play. Many of the players they are forced to play were picked up only a month ago or even a week ago.

Everyone is screaming for in-game adjustments, well what adjustments can one seriously make with about 6-7 players on the field who not only have little experience with their teammates on defense but lack NFL experience too?

Blitz like crazy and see what happens. It worked in the 1st half but we went away from it. The guys can't cover so why not blitz them? Especially the backup linebackers we are sending out there. They can't cover anyone.

zack

Reaction score
Romo doesn't belong in the same sentence as......................................Bree's.

Why not? Why can't you compare them? Last time I checked they both play on the NFL, NFC? He threw 19 interceptions with the same kind of defensive support last season.

pastordug

Reaction score
Why not? Why can't you compare them? Last time I checked they both play on the NFL, NFC? He threw 19 interceptions with the same kind of defensive support last season.

Because you usually compare APPLES with APPLES NOT APPLES with ORANGES.

zack

Reaction score
And Romo is an awesome quarterback in win or go home games...

Clever Espn stat there. I love arguing with people who blame the QB when he plays on a team with the 32nd ranked defense and on pace to be the WORST in NFL history. That is laughable.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Yes I am absolutely comparing romo and Bree's.

Yeah, Im tired of the hearing about the Cowboys drama to... but you know darn good and well you can't compare Drew Bree's to Tony Romo...thats just wrong.... no way about it.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
Clever Espn stat there. I love arguing with people who blame the QB when he plays on a team with the 32nd ranked defense and on pace to be the WORST in NFL history. That is laughable.

I used to feel the same way.

I'm not saying he deserves all the blame. But quarterback is the most important position in all of sports.

As bad as the defense was, romo still should not have thrown the game away at the end. I get the fact that he was thinking we have to score or they are going to score on us. But he had miles WIDE open and flat out choked. If he completes that easy pass, game over.

And i'm getting sick of the excuse of the receivers running the wrong route/not being on the same page. It seems to happen to Romo more than any person in NFL history. The only underlying constant to this is Romo himself. It's amazing how much some people critique every one of his bad plays and try to put it on someone else.

Even if it is on the receiver, man up and take responsibility. You threw the ball. Don't throw someone else under the bus. If you don't trust someone to run an option route there, don't throw the ball where you think they are supposed to go if another defender is there. Simple.