Tony Romo top-5 stats

bsheeern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by percyhoward
Just to pile on one more important number...

He has completed 26 passes for first down in 48 third down attempts, making him the only QB in the league who's converted on more than half of his 3rd down passes. 54% of his attempts on 3rd down have resulted in first downs.

The remarkable thing about that 54% is that Romo has been in more 3rd-and-long situations than just about any other QB. He's had 25 attempts on 3rd and 8 or more, which is the most in the NFL.

this is where a stat doesn't lie IMO....very important stat

yimyammer

Reaction score
My only "complaints" (if this is even the correct term) in regard to Romo are the following:

1. On the few occasions where Tony has decided to run in order to get a few yards or get a first down, he doesn't protect the ball with both hands. This seems easily correctable and I don't understand why he continues to tote the ball around in one hand like a hand bag. I chalk up the Philly fumble in the end zone as just one of those random, freak situations and I really have no idea why Tony bobbled the ball on that play. Maybe he got anxious because he knew it was a passing play, Philly was probably showing a blitz and he knew he had to get rid of the ball quickly. I guess I'll chalk that one up as a case of the yips.

2. A couple of his interceptions didn't take proper consideration of the gametime situation and resulted in what I consider bad game/ball management:

a. In the Green Bay game when we where driving early in the game, but had just gotten a sack (or penalty, can’t remember which) we had a 3rd and 20ish on or around the 25 yard line of the Packers. This situation has a very low percentage chance of being successful (to get a TD) given that he is most likely to get heavily rushed and the defense knows where the ball is going to go. Considering the increased likelihood of an interception by forcing the ball into a situation where the defense has an advantage and the corresponding loss of momentum if an interception were to occur, then I think this is a case where the odds support doing everything to ensure you get the 3 points & avoid a turnover unless a receiver is wide open. As we know, the worse case scenario occurred and GB picked off the pass and ran it all the way back to our side of the field.

b. In the Cincinnati game, we had a 17-6 lead, had great field position, were in control and the only most likely way Cinci gets back into the game is if we start turning the ball over and making mistakes. I don't think we'd be giving up much by taking a slightly more conservative approach by putting a heavy emphasis on protecting the ball and keeping the opponent in bad field position if we had to punt from mid field. Now the linebacker made a good play, but imho, Tony was really forcing the ball into a situation where Witten was surrounded by at least 4 Bengals.

The other interceptions:

1. In the Cleveland game interception, I think Tony could have thrown the ball higher so only Owens could have caught the ball, but the defense did apply pressure and the cornerback did a good job undercutting the route. In the end they were going for bonus points and this didn’t effect the outcome of the game in any way.

2. In the Washington game interception, I have to give credit to the Skins safety for making a good play. However, when I watched that throw it reminded me of watching Michael Irvin describe how when he was playing in the Super Bowl against the Bills, early in the game, they were about to score. The pass was coming to Irvin, but as he ran his route, he realized he had messed up his route and was afraid he had set up Aikman to get an interception, so he threw his body and leg out in attempt to defend the cornerback from intercepting the ball. Not only did he keep the cornerback from intercepting the ball, he also made the catch and scored a TD.

I think Miles Austin should learn how to have the same mindset and should not be waiting on balls but be aggressive by going and getting the ball and worse case scenario turn into a defender and prevent the interception at all costs. It seems to me that Miles missed an opportunity to protect Romo in this situation.

3. The interception against Philly was a case where Romo was trying to do his magic by scrambling out of the pressure and if Miles Austin had been more in synch with his QB, not only might an interception had been avoided, but Miles might have gotten a chunk of yards. I’m disappointed with the outcome, but I don’t think this is a situation to try and put the reigns on Tony.

Lastly, I always wonder why QB's & the offense aren't constantly reviewing the game time photos and planning for the next series while the defense is on the field. All too often, it appears everyone is just sitting on the bench waiting to get back on the field. Why not keep studying and preparing while your waiting to get thier next shot?

Just one arm chair QB's perspective, feel free to disagree.