Too Much Talent in the Secondary. Need to Make a Trade

kskboys

Reaction score
I think if you trade anyone, it's Anthony Brown.

That said, I don't want to trade anyone that good. Not that he's great. But he is the #3 corner on our team, behind Joseph, imo. So I really don't want to give up a top 3 cover guy on the team.. Not in today's passing league. They are not easy to come by.
How in the world is he behind Joseph?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
How in the world is he behind Joseph?

I think it's Joseph's relative inexperience.

Brown isn't as bad as some make him out to be, but I don't think he's as good as Joseph.

That said, even though he's a 6th round pick, Brown has great tools himself. Dude runs a 4.33 40, so maybe that's why.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We've drafted 5 CB under McCarthy and 0 safeties. That's odd.

I think Bland is sort of a safety-type. We also picked up Marquese Bell.

Some posters here were upset we didn't take Cine, since we apparently still had a 1st round grade on him when we drafted Tyler Smith, who the Cowboys graded as a 2nd round talent.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think it's Joseph's relative inexperience.

Brown isn't as bad as some make him out to be, but I don't think he's as good as Joseph.

That said, even though he's a 6th round pick, Brown has great tools himself. Dude runs a 4.33 40, so maybe that's why.
Jo should be better, but at present he's not!!!

quickccc

Reaction score
I think Bland is sort of a safety-type. We also picked up Marquese Bell.

Some posters here were upset we didn't take Cine, since we apparently still had a 1st round grade on him when we drafted Tyler Smith, who the Cowboys graded as a 2nd round talent.

What exactly is safety- type ?
Like he's gonna be flexed to play both ?

Pass2Run

Reaction score

I think he's more of a safety, who could also play some corner in a pinch. Bland doesn't strike me as an NFL corner, though. College, sure. I'm not saying he's flexed to play both. Just that I see them looking at him as more of a free safety when it's all said and done. I could be totally wrong, though. I just don't see the fluidity and short-area quickness that you need to be a top NFL CB. He's more rangy and physical — like a Dan Quinn-style free safety. Again, just my amateur opinion. Right now, the Cowboys have him at corner.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
By the way quick,

Now that you say it, maybe they do want a player that flexes at safety and corner. That would make sense for today's NFL rosters where they like to keep scheme/system players. I don't know, though. I was probably just talking out of my rear.

quickccc

Reaction score
By the way quick,

Now that you say it, maybe they do want a player that flexes at safety and corner. That would make sense for today's NFL rosters where they like to keep scheme/system players. I don't know, though. I was probably just talking out of my rear.

yeh, while that flexibility does help with the number on game day active roster, but those flexible players also have to be effective flex players.
You don't want to have to be forced to play scrubs that cannot play just because they tried out at various positions.

kskboys

Reaction score
Several different definitions for that, though it often means they lack the mirroring ability for man so they need to be in position to play downhill.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I wouldn't say there is too much talent. Instead, I would say there are more young players you would like to keep and see how they develop then there are roster spots for them.

quickccc

Reaction score
Many of today's NFL S's were CB's in college.

And it's up to respective NFL teams to evaluate and decide the best position for players on their respective teams.

We decided Byron Jones was gonna be a better FS than a CB when we drafted him and had him staying there for years, before Kris RIchard immediately moved
him to his natural position at CB, en route to a All-Pro and Pro Bowl year.

We seem like we did not know what the hell position player Reggie Robinson was when we drafted in the 4th round, college CB to NFL FS, moved back to CB, ..etc. ..

I think he's more of a safety, who could also play some corner in a pinch. Bland doesn't strike me as an NFL corner, though. College, sure. I'm not saying he's flexed to play both. Just that I see them looking at him as more of a free safety when it's all said and done. I could be totally wrong, though. I just don't see the fluidity and short-area quickness that you need to be a top NFL CB. He's more rangy and physical — like a Dan Quinn-style free safety. Again, just my amateur opinion. Right now, the Cowboys have him at corner.

Is this a knee jerk overaction ?. We haven't even seen the guy play yet in full live action games .
We dunno what they could be working with him technique wise, that better improves his positioning and footwork,, his turn and go, reaction
and drive on the ball, and how he locates the ball in the air.

Do we think 5th round draftee Richard Sherman was instantly ready to go with his quick-twitch, and fluidity when he entered the NFL for Seattle ?
That took some time doing.

We dunno if the flaws lack of technique and positioning is something that can be work out in just one limited training camp and a couple preseason games.
That could take some time doing.