Top 10 players that we need to draft....

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, and these are players that I think we have a shot at, not just players I want, so at the risk of being called an utter idiot, her goes nothing:

1: Derrick Johnson

The only player who, should we pass on, I would never forgive Jerry Jones and BP.

2: Alex Smith

He wont go #1 overall like some say, and as crazy as you people think I am this kid will be GREAT.

3: Antrel Rolle

Again, many dont want a CB in the first round but this kid is physical and so agrressive that I just dont think we can pass on him.

4: Braylon Edwards

I have no doubt in my mind he will be far superior to Mike Williams, great speed and makes big plays downfield.

5: Shawne Merriman

I have officially bought the kids hype, he can effectively play 3 defensive positions and is a playmaker.

6: Carlos Rogers

Probably a better cover corner than Rolle, but isnt quite as physical or big as Rolle. Still, I love his skills.

7: "Pac-Man" Jones

Again, a good, strong corner who I would love to get.

8: Mike Williams

Honestly, I dont want any part of him, but his shear massive size and leaping ability make me think he is worth a shot, but I dont want anything to do with him if Edwards is there.

9: David Pollack

Simply the best DE in the draft, dont care what people say about Erasmus James, this kid is THE BEST DE on the board. The only reason want Merriman ahead of him is Merrimen is more versatile.

10: Travis Johnson

I dont think we need a DT in the first, but this guys skills make me think he might be worth a pick.

Honorable mention:

Jamaal Brown
Mark Clayton
Marlin Jackson
Antaaj Hawthorne
Troy Williamson

Roughneck

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
This is just my opinion, and these are players that I think we have a shot at, not just players I want, so at the risk of being called an utter idiot, her goes nothing:

The only player who, should we pass on, I would never forgive Jerry Jones and BP.
Got to see the young man play for 4 years and was truly honored in doing so.

He wont go #1 overall like some say, and as crazy as you people think I am this kid will be GREAT.
I think he has a pretty good upside but I don't want any QB in this Draft that high. Not that it matters because he'll be gone before #11.

Again, many dont want a CB in the first round but this kid is physical and so agrressive that I just dont think we can pass on him.
A Secondary Player with his build from Miami? Yes please.

I have no doubt in my mind he will be far superior to Mike Williams, great speed and makes big plays downfield.
I saw his talents first hand in the Rose Bowl. I am now a Believer.

I have officially bought the kids hype, he can effectively play 3 defensive positions and is a playmaker.
Something off about him. Don't know what it is but I'm gonna go with no.

Probably a better cover corner than Rolle, but isnt quite as physical or big as Rolle. Still, I love his skills.

Again, a good, strong corner who I would love to get.
These are far more likely options than Rolle and either one is fine with me. I would take Rogers over Jones when pushed.

Honestly, I dont want any part of him, but his shear massive size and leaping ability make me think he is worth a shot, but I dont want anything to do with him if Edwards is there.
As I said above, I'm a Believer in Edwards but I'd take Williams over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday. After DJ, he's the number one guy on my board.

Simply the best DE in the draft, dont care what people say about Erasmus James, this kid is THE BEST DE on the board. The only reason want Merriman ahead of him is Merrimen is more versatile.
Great College Player who'll have an average at best pro career. Don't buy the Pollack hype.

I dont think we need a DT in the first, but this guys skills make me think he might be worth a pick.
No DT belongs in my Top 10.

A pretty good list overall Aggie. A couple of problems but still pretty good.

Reaction score
Derrick Johnson or Braylon Edwards at #11 would be very nice and I would be satisfied but im sure there will be people on this board complaining, there always is.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
D41lasCowboys31 said:
Derrick Johnson or Braylon Edwards at #11 would be very nice and I would be satisfied but im sure there will be people on this board complaining, there always is.
I wouldn't complain about DJ at all. I think we need playmakers on D.

Buckeye

Reaction score
Defense is our main priority going into this off-season. We should either draft Derrick Johnson, Antrel Rolle, or Shawne Merriman with our 11th. Not Braylon Edwards or Alex Smith.

jumanji

Reaction score
i like rolle, rogers, johnson, and edwards alot. I also like erasmus james. I also think pollack is overrated.

johnson and rogers could anchor our d for a long time, but it won't happen. parcells is a dline type of guy. look for a dt or de player....(merriman) and then look at wr. maybe dj slips in somehow, but i'm thinking it will be merriman and edwards.

PA Cowboy11

Reaction score
Bottom line is we have to wait and see who is available when free agency starts and go from there to determine who we are going after and then where to go in the draft. It's all speculation right now, but it is fun to daydream about possible future stars. :iggles:

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I wouldn't complain about DJ at all. I think we need playmakers on D.
You are correct sir--- we havent any playmakers on defense- especially at linebacker and cornerback- I truly believe we will have 2 or 3 new linebackers starting next year-with Dat as the only remaining starter.

It was pathetic watching our linebackers take bad angles and get beaten play after play last year- the tide of change is coming and it will wash away those too weak to stand.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I'd take any of these guys at the #11 pick:

I'd take any of these guys at the #20 pick:

Mark Clayton
Marlin Jackson
Antaaj Hawthorne
Troy Williamson

The guys that were omited are either player that I have not bought into or play positions that I do not think we have any need of drafting. There are others that I would take at either pick but I'm just working for m the original list. Unlike some here DT and DE are at the top of my list unless we are able to fill those needs in FA.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score

I agree: I would never forgive JJ if we pass on him. I would love to see him in our corps.

Alex Smith is going to be a player. Lest we not forget, he's only 20 years old and very well has the highest upside in the draft. I'd rather us spend our picks on defense or a top flight WR than another QB to combat Henson.

People hate that we take CB in Round 1 but that's where the quality is. Rolle at #11 gives us the best young secondary in the NFL (coupled with our new FS whomever it is).

HIm and Williams both have skills. I wouldn't mind Edwards at #11 and the character issues are not the Randy Moss-type. Sometimes lacks concentration for the easy grabs.

I really don't know much about him. He's got the measurables to shine.

He's a solid player, one worth considering at #20.

Underrated. Wouldn't be shocked to see him go before Rolle.

He simply makes plays. Speed is a slight concern though that's not his game. His hands, jumping ability and route running set him apart from BE.

Great college player, not so sure about the NFL. I wouldn't mind him putting on some more weight as 260 is light in the pants for someone who isn't blinding fast.

He doesn't excite me in this DT bare-cupboard draft. I'd rather us take pretty much any other player above rather than him.

Honorable mention:

Jamaal Brown
Mark Clayton
Marlin Jackson
Antaaj Hawthorne
Troy Williamson[/QUOTE]

Silverstar

Reaction score
This is how I would rate these guys...

1. Derrick Johnson
2. Pac Man Jones
3. Braylon Edwards
4. Antrel Rolle
5. Mike Williams
6. Carlos Rogers
7. Shawn Merriman
8. Travis Johnson
9. David Pollack
10 Alex Smith

I would take either Jones or Rolle at #11. We need a solid RCB to play opposite Newman. I think Jones would make a better cover corner than the more physical Rolle though. With the new rules, I'm not comfortable with Pete Hunter at RCB either...maybe the slot is best for him. I would be shocked if Johnson, Edwards or Williams fall out of the top 10 too. I pretty much rate Carlos Rogers, Marlin Jackson and Corey Webster right under Jones and Rolle. They are good all-around CB's, but not the ball-hawking type I think Jones and Rolle could be. Another defensive player like Merriman or Johnson would be "OK" with me at #20.

In short, we need to be drafting impact players on defense IMO.