Top 3 Athlete on the team

BHendri5

Reaction score
I was having this conversation at work today with another Cowboys fan, about who was the best pure athlete on the team. I said T.O. he says Adam Jones, and then he said Romo, because Romo plays golf and basketball.

So I told him I would do a poll in this forum today and print out the results and show it to him.

My top 3 are T.O. 2. Stanback and 3. would be a toss up between Newman/Austin/Ware

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
1. Ware 2. Witten 3. probably TO but i like some of the corners as well.

BHendri5

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2299844 said:
1. Ware 2. Witten 3. probably TO but i like some of the corners as well.

Witten is a great TE, but pure athlete, I do not see it. He is stiff, not smooth and he is a fast Plodder?

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
You have to put sport in perspective. These guys are not track stars but to have that kind of size, speed, quickness and hands in wittens case, says something about there athletic ability.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2299855 said:
You have to put sport in perspective. These guys are not track stars but to have that kind of size, speed, quickness and hands in wittens case, says something about there athletic ability.

I agree with you Son. What kind of Athlete is 6'6, 270, can run a 4.6, has the dexterity to catch passes, avoid the hits, take the hits, lead block, pass block and have the intelligence to understand the game as well as Witten obviously does? I think Witten is a tremendous athlete.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would say

Newman

TO

Ware

In that order.

Newman has crazy speed, major ups, and if you watched him in College he was always someone who was dangerous with the ball in their hands.

The other 2 speak for themselves.

Go look at what Demarcus Ware Powers cleans.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
1. Bennett - could play in the NBA as well
2. Romo - 3 sport star, could realistically be playing in either the NBA think a more athletic Steve Kerr or John Stockton, or on the PGA Tour
3. Stanback - drafted to play baseball I think to play outfield, not the dinky 3rd base position like Drew Henson, or pitcher position like Chad Hutchinson
4. TO - pretty good bball player
5. PacMan - pretty good bball player in high school

oops, I went 5, sue me

BHendri5

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2299863 said:
I agree with you Son. What kind of Athlete is 6'6, 270, can run a 4.6, has the dexterity to catch passes, avoid the hits, take the hits, lead block, pass block and have the intelligence to understand the game as well as Witten obviously does? I think Witten is a tremendous athlete.

I'm not downing Witten, I just do not see him as top 3.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
BHendri5;2299915 said:
I'm not downing Witten, I just do not see him as top 3.
I see the angle you are coming from in saying that the other guys are more athletic in being able to play other sports. I'm taking the approach that there are more guys that fit the same physical skills that you mentioned above. I do not feel there are as many people who fill the same physical characteristics of Witten. Thats why I put him above the others.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Romo was an outstanding basketball player, and is a great golfer. He'd have to be near the top of any list.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2299936 said:
Romo was an outstanding basketball player, and is a great golfer. He'd have to be near the top of any list.

I put him 2nd, only because Bennett actually pulled his name out of the NBA draft in high school

JohnnyMac

Benched
Reaction score
Romo is the best "pure" athlete we have - he's a Pro Bowl QB, A scratch Golfer and was a Superb B-Ball player.

D - Ware is a close second

And you can put TO there because of his obvious speed.

Barrister

Reaction score
1. Ware (best size/speed combo)

2. Leonard Davis (unnatural quickness for a guy this big and this strong)

3. Stanback (young, tall and fast ... Newman and TO in their prime were probably both faster, but Stanback appears faster to me at this stage in their careers).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2299940 said:
I put him 2nd, only because Bennett actually pulled his name out of the NBA draft in high school

How high was Bennett ranked though as a high school BBall playeR??? I don't even remember him at the McDonald's all American game.

BHendri5

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2299928 said:
I see the angle you are coming from in saying that the other guys are more athletic in being able to play other sports. I'm taking the approach that there are more guys that fit the same physical skills that you mentioned above. I do not feel there are as many people who fill the same physical characteristics of Witten. Thats why I put him above the others.

And now I see where you are coming from. Now what if Novacek was on this team, would you put him above the rest as well?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2299945 said:
How high was Bennett ranked though as a high school BBall playeR??? I don't even remember him at the McDonald's all American game.

no idea

BHendri5

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2299863 said:

Now if he was running a 4.4/4.5 at his size I would agree. I wish he could use that 4.6 to get away from guys once he catches the ball.

He has excellent hands, and he worked hard to become a decent blocker, mostly because of his intelligence he does not win his blocking assignment too many times because of his brute strength.

I've seen him get blown up a whole lot of times as a lead blocker.