Top 5 Mock Draft

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Well, since the draft order is starting to be carved in granite, let the mock drafts begin:

1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush, RB, USC

First off, I do think Bush will go #1 but to the Texans? Not so sure about that. Davis is a capable back and even Bush's moves aren't going to be able to save him from the OL cesspool that awaits him in Houston. I've maintained for a while that Houston needs to deal down and select an OT like Ferguson for a while and I still maintain that thought. Until things get clearer, though, I'll simply put the best player with the worst team.

Darkhorse pick - Matt Leinart, QB, USC

Is Carr the answer? He hasn't shown the skills to be a #1 QB but he hasn't much to work with. Do you give up on him already?

2. New Orleans Saints - Vince Young, QB, Texas

With Aaron Brooks basically gone, a high-profile and local QB is a must here to not only rebuild the team but the city and fanbase as well. I've predicted that Texas will pull the upset in the Rose Bowl and win the title. With that, Young has nothing left to prove and will make the jump. Young gives them a dangerous runner and an improving passer to make things happen.

Darkhorse pick - Matt Leinart, QB, USC

Pretty tough to pass up a QB often compared to Brady and Montana and it's not likely that he'll drop far. The Saints may wish to plug in the more NFL ready (and nationally recognized) QB that will be more of a pocket passer than past QB's. I don't see how the Saints pick anything but one of the two QB's at #2.

3. Tennessee Titans - Matt Leinart, QB, USC

It's safe to say that McNair's best days are behind him and that Volek, while servicable, will likely not lead them to the playoffs. Leinart can step in and contribute immediately behind the salary cap plagued Titans.

Darkhorse pick - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

The Titans really need help anywhere. Ferguson has immense tools and can be a Walter Jones-type influence on the OL. Who wouldn't want that on a team? If you aren't going to address the most important position on a team (QB), address the second (left OT).

4. New York Jets - Mario Williams, DE, North Carolina State

Another team in search of many pieces. I keep thinking a NYJ-Houston switch will ultimately happen and Bush will be the pick (though QB is a possibility). However, for the time being, I think Williams is the pick. Abraham's days are likely done and Williams can be the AFC version of Julius Peppers. The Jets defense has the right pieces to make things happen and Williams will go a long ways to help invigorate that team.

Darkhorse pick - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

See the Titans description. Good OT's don't grow on trees.

5. Green Bay Packers - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

With Favre's future in doubt, something that can't be ignored is the Packers subpar OL. Losing Rivera and Wahle showed how important a solid base is for a QB and the Packers paid for it this year. Ferguson will provide a solid foundation for Favre/Rogers in order to restore greatness once again to Lambeau Field.

Darkhorse pick - A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio St.

This guy is going to be a great pro player for some team. The Packers are the type of team that could use some fire on defense. Alongside Nick Barnett, Hawk will see immediate action and make a strong case for Defensive Rookie of the Year. A bigger, stronger version of Zach Thomas is something every team could use.

jbsg02

Reaction score
There WILL be trades with the top 5 teams this year and it won't look like that, BOOK IT

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
No doubt there will be trades. I wouldn't be surprised if the long-rumored Phillips to Jets for #4 and the Chargers pick goes down. I also expect someone to jump up to #1 and for the Texans to drop.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
The Texans will open the first overall pick for bidding if Bush declares, I would never take a running back with the first overall pick unless th whole O-line of USC comes with it, the texans need alot of help on that O-line, so I would get as many picks as I can get with that first overall pick via trading that pick.