Twitter: Top 5 worst cap situations for 2022

fivetwos

Reaction score
They will certainly get under the cap. And they’ll probably be able to keep Gregory among the pending free agents. But fans shouldn’t expect any more than that. Forget keeping Schultz, Gallup, or the rest of the 2018 draft class.

But like you said, hope they continue to draft well in 2022.
Gregory is the big variable. I could see him getting big money offers elsewhere.

Hopefully Jerry's loyalty to certain players works in our favor instead of against us for a change. Gregory owes this organization a serious debt of gratitude IMO but overall I think he is a good guy and deserves his payday. Hopefully it's a compromise and he remains here. We are gonna miss him today for sure.

I think we always knew that retaining Gallup without cutting Cooper may not have been a realistic thing.

Hopefully Wilson can match his production, but he needs to be resigned also.

There's definitely some huge decisions upcoming....but hey it's better than having more cap dollars to spend than good players to give it to lol.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It is going up in 2022......now that the NFL has gone back to keeping the priority on sports rather than external issues....
huh???? cmon... the cap went down due to lost revenue due to pandemic. That is pretty much back to normal and money is skyrocketing. Has ZERO to do with your "Reason."

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory is the big variable. I could see him getting big money offers elsewhere.

Hopefully Jerry's loyalty to certain players works in our favor instead of against us for a change. Gregory owes this organization a serious debt of gratitude IMO but overall I think he is a good guy and deserves his payday. Hopefully it's a compromise and he remains here. We are gonna miss him today for sure.

I think we always knew that retaining Gallup without cutting Cooper may not have been a realistic thing.

Hopefully Wilson can match his production, but he needs to be resigned also.

There's definitely some huge decisions upcoming....but hey it's better than having more cap dollars to spend than good players to give it to lol.

Gregory and Gallup are gone.......no way we can match other offers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
For anybody worried. Relax. Stephen Jones is on it.
I think they've been OK with cap management.

As far as who to give big contracts to, not so much.

Depends how interchangeable one sees the two as being.

Creeper

Reaction score
I go by spotrac even over OvertheCap. No clue about this red zone insider so I wouldn't use that number. With the expected cap increase to $208M it looks like we are somewhere around $9M over

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/

You also need to add to that number any of our free agents that we will want to retain. Gregory being the big one of course, but even a bunch of lower contracts and veteran minimums add up (we only have around 40 guys under contract for 2022). plus our draft class for which they only use a 1st round slot in the number.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/dallas-cowboys/

Plus of course any free agents we want to sign. We'll do some restructures (Martin, maybe Dak plus others) and cut some players to get under the cap of course with not too much of a problem but this is why we won't likely have both of Cooper and Gallup. When you need to trim cap it's best to do it at a position of strength. Cooper's $22M hit is the biggest for a WR in the NFL this year and 3rd highest in 2022 and whether we cut hm or not, his contract was structured so we can if we need to after this year. Unlike Tank ($19M dead money), Cooper ($6M) doesn't have a lot of dead money after this year. Really good player and a key player for us. But, if the team thinks Lamb, Gallup and Wilson plus others is good enough Coop may be a cap casualty.

I'm more wondering about 2023 and hoping the expected big cap increase kicks in to make it a moot point. We look ok just by the numbers but when you see that we only have 27 players signed and only one team is within $60M of us in cap space and 21 out of 32 have more than $100M more space than us it raises an eye brow. Also, any restructures we do in 2022 will make this number worse as the 22 restructures will move money back. Of course we will get under but the goal is to be able to sign some big free agents to improve the team, not just get under

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2023/

It looks like Sportrac is not counting 3 players that Over-theCAP has under contract with the Cowboys. Cooper Rush, Hunter, Niswander, and Sewo Olonilua. Their contracts all come to about $2.65 million so it is not much but it accounts for some of the difference between the two sites. Also, I believe Over-the-CAP included a rookie pool number for 2022. Sportract does not seem to have this in their number. That appears to be another $3+ million. Unless Dallas trades away all their draft picks the rookie pool has to be accounted for. Sportract is also including a 2022 CAP roll-over amount which is not fixed yet. It could change between now and next March. Sportrac estimates the roll-over amount to be $4 million right now.

Without the rookie pool the 2 sites are actually fairly close in their estimates of the Cowboys CAP situation. It looks like the number will be around $16 million over the CAP in 2022.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they've been OK with cap management.

As far as who to give big contracts to, not so much.

Depends how interchangeable one sees the two as being.

How are you okay with cap management but not okay with deciding who to give big contracts?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Still think it's crazy that we have a top 5 youngest team in the NFL, but a top 5 highest cap team in the NFL.

After listening to Aikman the other week talk about how even average players are dubbed stars if they play in Dallas because of the team's national popularity, it made me start thinking about salary cap implications.

I know this would never happen, but big market, well known teams probably deserve more cap space because they have to use the check book more often. Whereas, a guy hides out in Arizona or Detroit most of his life, the hype is low.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Remember your post 3 years from now........but then again I'm sure you will have a zillion excuses why he failed.

3 years from? Nice move of the goal posts. Lol Really? He’s a 4th round pick that’s in the MVP discussion with his team in the #3 seed in the NFC and #1 in the East. If he fails he fails that’s the NFL.

Brooksey

Reaction score
2022 cap is not an issue.

The #1 cap situation is right now for the 2021 Dallas Cowboys when $60+ million dollars is not playing

Cooper, Lawrence, Tyron, Gregory, Gallimore

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still think it's crazy that we have a top 5 youngest team in the NFL, but a top 5 highest cap team in the NFL.

After listening to Aikman the other week talk about how even average players are dubbed stars if they play in Dallas because of the team's national popularity, it made me start thinking about salary cap implications.

I know this would never happen, but big market, well known teams probably deserve more cap space because they have to use the check book more often. Whereas, a guy hides out in Arizona or Detroit most of his life, the hype is low.

I have to ask, are you a Yankees fan?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 years from? Nice move of the goal posts. Lol Really? He’s a 4th round pick that’s in the MVP discussion with his team in the #3 seed in the NFC and #1 in the East. If he fails he fails that’s the NFL.

Youre arguing with the forum’s village idiot. I wouldn’t waste your time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I have to ask, are you a Yankees fan?

Hate baseball. But Yankees are a good example of what I'm talking about. Big market hype machine MLB teams are allowed to spend more. Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Giants, etc..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hate baseball. But Yankees are a good example of what I'm talking about. Big market hype machine MLB teams are allowed to spend more. Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Giants, etc..

Yeah. I want no part of that. A league of have’s and have-not’s is why I can’t take baseball seriously.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
We will have to resign Gregory, he’s our second best player on D. Could see DLaw being a casualty. Be really nice to keep Gallup too but also Cedric.
Cutting Amari could be on the table too.
Gregory hasn’t proven to be consistently better than DLaw.