News: Top 50: Giants’ New DE Will Present A Challenge For Tyron Smith

CCBoy

Reaction score
Top 50: Giants’ New DE Will Present A Challenge For Tyron Smith
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...ts’-new-de-will-present-challenge-tyron-smith

Name: Olivier Vernon
Team: New York Giants
Position: Defensive End
Height/Weight: 6-2/261
Experience: 4 seasons
College: Miami

2016 vs. Cowboys: Vernon will make his debut for the Giants on the very first Sunday of the season, at 3:30 p.m. against the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium. The return date between the two division rivals is Dec. 11 at MetLife Stadium.

What’s the Deal: Vernon became one of the newest -- and the most-handsomely paid -- members of the Cowboys-Giants rivalry in the spring, when New York signed him to a five-year, $85 million contract with $52.5 million in guarantees. The former Dolphins pass rusher was one of the marquee defenders on the free agent market after tallying 7.5 sacks during his contract season in Miami. The Giants spent a lot of money revamping the unit back in March, as Vernon w $62 million cornerback Janoris Jenkins and $46 million defensive tackle Damon Harrison.

Expect This: The Giants obviously still have long-time playmaker Jason Pierre-Paul, but Vernon was brought in to bolster a pass rush that hasn’t been up to snuff since the Giants’ most recent Super Bowl run. Pierre-Paul has more name recognition, but the bottom line is that it’s unclear how the Pro Bowler will bounce back from the 2015 fireworks accident that sidelined him for most of last season. It’s a solid bet that Vernon will man the right side of the line for the Giants. Given the money he’s being paid, it’ll be expected that he helps this pass rush produce for the first time in several years.

Previous Meetings: The Cowboys’ Week 11 meeting against the Dolphins was a showcase outing for Vernon, and it certainly helped him earn a substantial paycheck during the offseason. Vernon bullied Tyron Smith – which doesn’t happen often – and finished with five tackles and a sack. He created pressure and forced plays on several other occasions, although the Cowboys got out of Miami with a 24-14 win. That was Vernon’s only game against Dallas during a four-year stint with the Dolphins. As a member of the Giants, it’s safe to say he’ll be getting far more familiar with the Cowboys going forward...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No he won't, Smith will be the challenge for Vernon...well, it may not be a challenge at all. Giants fans will call Vernon a bum and an overpaid bum at that after game 1.

So Vernon's 1 game breakout game came against Smith in a down pour in Tony's first game back, and IRRC Smith was playing with a slight injury.
Smith will use that as a motivation to man handle Vernon.

perrykemp

Reaction score
No he won't, Smith will be the challenge for Vernon...well, it may not be a challenge at all. Giants fans will call Vernon a bum and an overpaid bum at that after game 1.

So Vernon's 1 game breakout game came against Smith in a down pour in Tony's first game back, and IRRC Smith was playing with a slight injury.
Smith will use that as a motivation to man handle Vernon.

Tyron Smith seems to have little problem with top end pass rushers like Vernon. His problems seem more to be that he gets lackadaisical against lesser known and mediocre talent.

I was very surprised many sacks he gave up last year.

I fully expect him to be dominant this year.

zack

Reaction score
So who exactly is Suh on the Giants Roster? This guy had some of the best defensive line players and yet he only had 7.5 sacks. He will be put in place by Smith. I'm not worried.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The Giants will have a group capable of a pass rush. IDK how well JPP will play but Vernon has some skills.

robjay04

Reaction score
Tyron Smith seems to have little problem with top end pass rushers like Vernon. His problems seem more to be that he gets lackadaisical against lesser known and mediocre talent.

I was very surprised many sacks he gave up last year.

I fully expect him to be dominant this year.

Vernon is far, far from a top end pass rusher. He's had one season with double digit sacks and zero pro bowls and any half decent player can make a pro bowl nowadays.

RW31

Reaction score
Vernon was absolute trash for 1/2 of the season as he was getting shredded by below average tackles. He did have a great finish, but Tyron is going to make him disappear. I'd be more worried about JPP to be honest.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
1 sack is dominate.......haha I thought what the Vikings did in the playoffs against our OL was dominate. Not 1 sack against a QB that was injuried and first game back