Top 50 Players in NFL

coach316

Reaction score
I didn't see this posted anywhere else. My apologies if this is a repost.

Top 50 Players in NFL

June 8, 2005
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!

As journalists and fans, there are certain things we say or write that come back and bite us in the rear, things friends and readers never let us forget.

I once said Harold Miner would be the next Michael Jordan.

My father once said Earl Campbell wouldn't be any good in the NFL because he was too slow to the hole.

A radio colleague once insisted Ron Mercer would be a better NBA player than Tim Duncan.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

We all make mistakes. They happen to scouts and general managers, too. Only theirs count. And hurt a whole heck of a lot more.

So I'm about to fess up to a mistake -- a big one, one that has followed me around for a long time and made me fodder for an entire New England region.

Two years ago, I didn't put Tom Brady in my annual CBS SportsLine.com Top 50 NFL Players list. Boy, did I hear it and continue to hear it. You would have thought I trudged into Fenway Park wearing a Yankees jersey or defamed the Kennedy name.

Truth is, I was wrong. Maybe I didn't think he was a Top 50 player at the time, but time has proved me wrong.

Brady has it. It's hard to define it, but whatever it is, he has it.

This is an instance in which the numbers don't tell the greatness of the player. Consider this: He was 10th in the league in passing yards last season, ninth in passer rating and sixth in touchdown passes. Aaron Brooks had more yards, Brian Griese had a higher passer rating and Jake Delhomme threw more touchdowns.

None of those players will sniff the Hall, unless Griese is there to see his dad's bust.

Brady is on his way.

It's clearly more than numbers. He has that special way of making his teammates believe that no matter what, he will come through. And he does. It's more than fourth-quarter magic, though, because the truth is he isn't all that special in the fourth quarter.

Brady completed 54.9 percent of his passes in the fourth quarter last season, the low of any quarter by far. He threw five interceptions in the fourth quarter of games, tying the number he threw in the second quarter, despite throwing double the amount of passes (157-71) in the second quarter.

Brady is special because of how he plays when his team is behind. Brady had a passer rating of 113.2 when his team was behind last season, which is 20 points higher than his overall rating of 92.6. Amazing.

That's why Brady has three Super Bowl rings and two Super Bowl MVPs. The guy is clutch.

If you gave me the first overall pick in an open NFL Draft of all the league's players, Peyton Manning would still be my choice. Brady has moved to second, which is why he's gone from nowhere in our CBS SportsLine.com Top 50 two years ago to No. 2 this season.

That's a heck of jump.

It's also a jump that makes me look foolish, something I'm willing to admit. Go ahead, blast away. It's deserved.

And by the way, whatever happened to Harold Miner?

1. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts: He had an amazing season in 2004, solidifying his spot here at the top. Now he has to win a Super Bowl.

2. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots: Three Super Bowl rings in four years makes for a special quarterback.

3. LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, Chargers: Doesn't get the credit he deserves playing in San Diego, but he's the best back in the game.

4. Randy Moss, WR, Raiders: Love him or hate him, he's a player. Moss is the best deep threat in the game today. Oakland fans will love him.

5. Ray Lewis, LB, Ravens: Yeah, yeah. We hear all that talk about how Lewis has regressed some. Watch out in 2005. Now that he's back in the middle of the 4-3, he will look like the Lewis of three years ago.

6. Marvin Harrison, WR, Colts: Just a tad behind Moss on the receiver list, Harrison is on his way to the Hall of Fame. He does it with so much ease.

7. Ed Reed, S, Ravens: Reed has made a huge jump up our list. He's arguably the best defensive player in the game today.

8. Terrell Owens, WR, Eagles: He talks a good game, but he backs it up. Owens proved in the Super Bowl what kind of player he is, a point even his haters can't argue.

9. Daunte Culpepper, QB, Vikings: He had a monster year in 2004, but it will be interesting to see what he does now without Moss.

10. Donovan McNabb, QB, Eagles: McNabb has improved greatly as a pocket passer. Maybe Owens had a lot to do with that.

11. Clinton Portis, RB, Commanders: Despite playing behind a bad offensive line in a system that didn't feature his best talents (cutback running), Portis had a good first season with the Commanders.

12. Champ Bailey, CB, Broncos: It's chic to rip on Bailey when seeing him get beat for a touchdown. Well, he's in man coverage a lot more than most corners. He's going to get beat. I'd still take him over any other corner in the game.

13. Walter Jones, T, Seahawks: An outstanding pass protector who plays like a man much lighter than 300 pounds. Now that he has a long-term deal that will have him in training camp for the first time in a few years, he will be even better.

14. Richard Seymour, DE, Patriots: He can play end or tackle for the Patriots. He has the power to hold up against the run and the quickness to get pressure.

15. Michael Vick, QB, Falcons: He has to improve his passing to make a jump up this list. He's still electrifying. But he has to throw it better.

16. Chris McAlister, CB, Ravens: The Ravens did the wise thing and locked him up to a long-term deal that will keep him around for a while. Teaming with Samari Rolle will give Baltimore the best corner tandem in the game.

17. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Chiefs: Even as he gets to the end of his career, Gonzalez is still the best pass-receiving tight end in the league.

18. Marcus Stroud, DT, Jaguars: Stroud was plagued some by injuries last year, but when he was healthy he was good enough to go to the Pro Bowl.

19. Jamal Lewis, RB, Ravens: He had some off-field and injury concerns last season, but he's still a big-time runner. Might be even better now if the Ravens open things up a bit.

20. Priest Holmes, RB, Chiefs: Injuries have started to erode his career, but he's still one of the best when healthy. How much is he a product of the Chiefs' offensive line and system?

21. Chad Johnson, WR, Bengals: He always said he'd be one of the NFL's best, and he is. We love the way he plays the game.

22. Dwight Freeney, DE, Colts: He might not be great against the run, but Freeney's speed off the edge makes him special.

23. Julius Peppers, DE, Panthers: Peppers can make plays that other ends can only dream about. He's an amazing athlete for a man his size.

24. Torry Holt, WR, Rams: Holt continues to play at a high level, even though he's getting up in years. Holt is still one of the most feared receivers in the league.

25. Jonathan Ogden, T, Ravens: Ogden remains a premium left tackle, although he isn't as good as he was a few years ago. He has so much athleticism for the position. Said to lack a mean streak, though.

26. Ahman Green, RB, Packers: He is a fantasy player's delight. The one knock on him is that he fumbles too much.

27. Antonio Gates, TE, Chargers: Gates emerged last season as a go-to guy for Drew Brees. He is an athletic tight end who can't be covered one-on-one.

28. Kris Jenkins, DT, Panthers: He was knocked out by injuries last season and recently admitted a drinking problem, but Jenkins is a star when he's on the field. He does have to lose some weight.

29. Derrick Brooks, LB, Bucs: Age is starting to become a factor, but he is still one of the best outside backers in the game. A class act, too.

30. Shaun Rogers, DT, Lions: Here's a player who got in shape and then got good. Rogers is now a force in the middle of the Lions line.

31. Brian Dawkins, S, Eagles: Continues to be a force in the back of the Eagles defense. Dawkins might be on his way to the Hall of Fame.

32. Brett Favre, QB, Packers: He can still make magical plays, but he can look ordinary now too. Favre is falling down the list, although we still hold him in high regard.

33. Jeremy Shockey, TE, Giants: The only thing holding him back is injuries. He and Eli Manning will be special together this season.

34. Kevin Williams, DT, Vikings: Has quietly become a dominant player in the middle of the Minnesota defense. With Pat Williams now next to him, he will be even better.

35. Todd Heap, TE, Ravens: Injuries slowed him last year, but he's back healthy again and should be even better under new coordinator Jim Fassel.

36. Orlando Pace, T, Rams: If not for Pace, the Rams line would have been awful last year. He still plays a high level.

37. Steve McNair, QB, Titans: It would be easy to leave him off this list based on last season, but he's a year removed from a co-MVP and he is still a force when he's healthy.

38. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans: We put him in the top 50 last year, and that opened some eyes. Are there any doubters now?

39. Willie Roaf, T, Chiefs: The old man can still play. Roaf is a force at left tackle on the league's best line.

40. Simeon Rice, DE, Bucs: One of only two men with 100 sacks in his career still playing (Michael Strahan is the other). Rice can still come off the edge with a burst.

41. Jason Taylor, DE, Dolphins: Once just a pass rusher, he is now a well-rounded end. But where does he play in Miami's new 3-4 scheme?

42. John Henderson, DT, Jaguars: Big John played better than Stroud in the second half of the 2004 season. He is a force against the run.

43. Samari Rolle, CB, Ravens: He's going to be missed in a big way in Tennessee. The Ravens will love him.

44. Patrick Surtain, CB, Chiefs: He excelled for the Dolphins playing a lot of man coverage, something we love. How will he fit in for the Chiefs?

45. Al Wilson, LB, Broncos: Wilson is a tenacious force in the middle of the Denver defense. If he had bigger people in front of him, he'd be even better.

46. Deuce McAllister, RB, Saints: He was slowed by an ankle injury last season, but expect him to bounce back with a huge season in 2005. He will be higher up this list next summer.

47. Brian Urlacher, LB, Bears: Has never been as good as the hype, but he's still a good player and can be a very good player.

48. Hines Ward, WR, Steelers: I left him off this list last season and heard it from the Steelers fans. That won't happen this year.

49. Takeo Spikes, LB, Bills: A playmaking star in a very good defense, Spikes has proved to be a heck of a steal for the Bills.

50.Charles Woodson, CB, Raiders: Here's a player fans and the media love to knock, but he's still an outstanding cover corner. How do we know? Ask the scouts.

There are 3, MAYBE 4, egregious omissions to this list.

1. Jason Witten, TE - this kid is simply amazing. He put up Tony Gonzales type numbers last year. He is one of only 2 TE's to lead their team in receiving (Tony the other). He was selected to his first of what will be many pro-bowls to come. All of this was accomplished without a running game for half the season, without a deep passing threat for 10 weeks of the season, and with a 41 year old QB with the record for most losses in a career.

2. Roy Williams, S - Roy has been one of the fiercest hitters and defenders in the NFL so far in his young career. He had an off year in 2004 playing out of position at FS due to Darren Woodson's back injury leading to his retirement, as well as a merry-go-round of sub par players at right CB. The CB position has been addressed and Roy will be manning the SS this year and he will be back to his true form. He will be Honolulu bound for many years to come. The only way this doesn't happen is if the NFL makes it illegal for Roy to tackle anyone at all. Ed Reed is the only safety better than Roy.

3. Larry Allen, G - LA is THE best lineman in the NFL. LA at half strength is still better than most linemen in the NFL as shown in 2003 making the pro-bowl while recovering from an injury causing him to play out of shape for most of the season. LA is a future Hall of Famer and has multiple pro-bowl appearances at multiple positions.

4. LaRoi Glover, DT - This one is iffy because he hasn't put up gaudy numbers and was playing in a horrible defense last year. LaRoi has played the 3-technique in the 4-3 as well as the nose guard in the 3-4. Playing NG in the 3-4 is amazing because at 6'2 and 285 lbs he is considered small even in the 4-3 system. Glover demands constant double teaming efforts and that is probably why he has been elected to 5 straight pro-bowls.

Reaction score
Payton Maaning will have to win something before I would put him #1 on this list, on the list yes, #1, no.

And why is Jeremy Shocky always on these lists. He hasn't really done anything statistically or consistently to be on these lists that pop up all the time. If it were top 50 players with potential perhaps I could agree. I don't know why they keep pushing this guy.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Antonio Gates has a great season, not to knock the guy at all, but he has had ONE season. That's it.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Techincally, so has Witten. He had a very strong second half as a rookie, but really, he's only had 1 season. Frankly, i dont really care who is on the lists, and where they are. If we are in the playoffs next year, Jeremy Shockey can find some comfort from this list.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
"what-have-ya-done-for-me-lately list".... 6-10 teams won't be well represented.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Not neccesarily true, if you look you will see Cheifs, raiders, Giants, even Bears represented, and Dolphins.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I figured Williams and Allen were locks. I thought everyone knew Allen was either the first or 2nd best LG in the league, and same with Roy.

jem88

Reaction score
Muhast said:
I figured Williams and Allen were locks. I thought everyone knew Allen was either the first or 2nd best LG in the league, and same with Roy.

I can't say I'm that surprised by Allen's omission. Are we talking about the Larry Allen of recent years? The guy is a legend and at one time played to a standard which I've never witnessed before (and I think many will the same way.) However, in recent years, he's been getting by on reputation.

I think Roy Williams could make a claim to being on that list and perhaps Glover and Witten, but not Larry Allen.

Reaction score
priest holmes, clinton portis, shockey, charles woodson....cmon man....i call bull ****, is this a list from like 3 years ago.