Top coaching candidates to replace Scott Linehan, Jason Garrett

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One name not on the list I think would get serious consideration is former Panther, Bronco and Bear coach John Fox. Close friends with Jerry, Stephen, and Garrett.
Top coaching candidates to replace Scott Linehan, Jason Garrett
ByPATRIK WALKER Sep 26, 10:31 AM
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ing-candidates-to-replace-them-122518992/#122

“I like our coaching staff."

Considering the continued offensive inadequacy for the Dallas Cowboys, there probably couldn't be five more terrifying words uttered by Jerry Jones. A trend that began on the back end of 2017 has now carried over to the start of 2018, with the team now sitting at 1-2 on the heels of at least two very poor offensive outings. Despite their win against the New York Giants in Week 2, it could be argued they didn't play well then either, 10 of their 20 points coming on the first two drives of the game but failing to score another touchdown until late in the fourth quarter. They now average a paltry 13.17 points per game in their last six regular season outings, are currently ranked 30th in total offense and 31st in passing.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
One name not on the list I think would get serious consideration is former Panther, Bronco and Bear coach John Fox. Close friends with Jerry, Stephen, and Garrett.

One example of why I don't get as excited as some about firing Garrett, because that's what we'll get: some retread the Jones Boys™ already know, who flopped in his last job.

Nothing new, nothing innovative, but Jerry will feel comfortable, and isn't that what's really important? :rolleyes:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One example of why I don't get as excited as some about firing Garrett, because that's what we'll get: some retread the Jones Boys™ already know, who flopped in his last job.

Nothing new, nothing innovative, but Jerry will feel comfortable, and isn't that what's really important? :rolleyes:

Bingo!!! You better believe at his age AND the fact he's also GM ( working day-to-day with coach ) that's going to critical.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not saying I would do it but John Defilippo is the guy to keep an eye on.

I want an X's and O's guy but i'm a little worried they would go after a rah rah guy like Dan Campbell.

Last edited:

Pants

Reaction score
interesting list and yes, anyone on here I would think say "championship" and finally mean it if Mr Payton came aboard....from that list (only), here is what I would want (in order)

1. Payton (HC) + Richard (DC)
2. Richard (HC) + Riley (OC)
3. Shaw (HC) + Richard (DC)
4. Richard (HC) + Petersen (OC)
5. Richard (HC) + Haley (OC)

Not interested: Cooter, Defilippo, Harbaugh, LaFleur, Saban (at all)

jrumann59

Reaction score
interesting list and yes, anyone on here I would think say "championship" and finally mean it if Mr Payton came aboard....from that list (only), here is what I would want (in order)

1. Payton (HC) + Richard (DC)
2. Richard (HC) + Riley (OC)
3. Shaw (HC) + Richard (DC)
4. Richard (HC) + Petersen (OC)
5. Richard (HC) + Haley (OC)

Not interested: Cooter, Defilippo, Harbaugh, LaFleur, Saban (at all)

As in David???? Why does it seem average to slightly below average former players make good coaches?

EGTuna

Reaction score
Rams special teams coach John Fassel and have him bring Rams QB coach to be the OC.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Depending on how the Chiefs end up finishing this year, Eric Bieniemy is going to be in the coaching conversation for a lot of teams.

I wouldn't trust Bieniemy(at least not yet).....this is his first year as an OC and make no mistake, that's Andy Reid's offense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As in David???? Why does it seem average to slightly below average former players make good coaches?

Funny you would ask this.....just happen to be looking up former great players who when on to become NFL head coaches. ( notice it's not many...at all )

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/...l-fame-player-to-later-coach-in-nfl-needs.htm
SPORTS
Titans coach Mike Munchak only 7th Hall of Fame player to later coach in NFL, needs to win now
Published August 28, 2013
Associated Press
Facebook Twitter Email Print

Titans coach Mike Munchak knows he's in rare company.

Sure, he's one of 32 NFL head coaches. But he's also only the seventh Hall of Fame player since the 1970 merger to later work as a head coach in this league. And Munchak has been in this league long enough to know he has to win now going into his third season with the Titans coming off a 6-10 record.

"This is my opportunity too," Munchak said. "Only so many guys get an opportunity to do what I'm doing. I appreciate it greatly to be in this spot. I don't want to let people down, and I want to give it all I've got."

He joined Raymond Berry, Mike Ditka, Forrest Gregg, Art Shell and Mike Singletary as Hall of Fame players turned coaches when named the Titans' head coach Feb. 7, 2011. Dick LeBeau is one of five men who coached before being inducted into the Hall of Fame since the merger.

Ditka won a Super Bowl with the 1985 Chicago Bears, beating Berry's New England Patriots. Gregg also won an AFC championship with Cincinnati. Only Ditka, Berry and Art Shell have winning records as coaches. Singletary took over in San Francisco with nine games left in 2008 only to be fired after 15 games in 2010.