Top Internet Posting Malaprops

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Case One:

‘Lead’ is an element, heavy metallic and maleable - not to mention toxic to humans if ingested.

To ‘lead’ is to assume a forward position in the movement of a group towards a unified goal or from one geographical point to another. The past tense of THIS usage is ‘led’… not the similarly-sounding element usage.

What are YOUR ‘pet peeve’ internet malaprops?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Case One:

‘Lead’ is an element, heavy metallic and maleable - not to mention toxic to humans if ingested.

To ‘lead’ is to assume a forward position in the movement of a group towards a unified goal or from one geographical point to another. The past tense of THIS usage is ‘led’… not the similarly-sounding element usage.

This is something I see far too often here. I got tired of correcting it.

One I see less often, but should never happen is "common man" instead of "come on, man" or "c'mon man".

Also got tired of correcting people who say "should of", "could of", etc

BTW you misspelled "malleable".
:muttley:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is something I see far too often here. I got tired of correcting it.

One I see less often, but should never happen is "common man" instead of "come on, man" or "c'mon man".

Also got tired of correcting people who say "should of", "could of", etc

BTW you misspelled "malleable".
:muttley:
To be fair, a lot of that could be typos on mobile devices where autocorrect incorrectly corrects words and your eyes don't see the typo when you are typing because autocorrect made it look clean.

For example, on some devices it may convert "comeon man" (missing the space) into "common man".

When I am reading online comments, I generally assume that most typos are bad autocorrect corrections.

Creeper

Reaction score
To be fair, a lot of that could be typos on mobile devices where autocorrect incorrectly corrects words and your eyes don't see the typo when you are typing because autocorrect made it look clean.

For example, on some devices it may convert "comeon man" (missing the space) into "common man".

When I am reading online comments, I generally assume that most typos are bad autocorrect corrections.
As the worst typist on the internet, with phone or PC, I concur with this point!

Creeper

Reaction score
I believe the word "myriad" originated as an adjective, a word you use to describe something else. Saying "myriad birds" for example meant to describe the number of birds. It was no different than saying "blue birds" to describe their color. However, it was misused so much, as a noun, that the dictionaries changed to allow its use as a noun, "a myriad of birds". My English teacher in middle school was a **** about the use of words and used to scold us for misusing "myriad" in a sentence.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Even as a non native English speaker I know it's got to be "couldn't care less", yet so many Americans / Brits say could care less when they actually mean they don't care. Amazing.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Michael Irving
Zach Martin
Tyrone Smith
Daron Blanda
Luke Schoomacher
Terrance Steel
Steven Jones

I’m particular about names. Learn them.

But if it makes anyone feel better, my grammar sucks.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Michael Irving
Zach Martin
Tyrone Smith
Daron Blanda
Luke Schoomacher
Terrance Steel
Steven Jones

I’m particular about names. Learn them.

But if it makes anyone feel better, my grammar sucks.
You left out Roger Stauback??

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
For those of you who are slow like me ..
Malaprop definition
noun
the mistaken use of a word in place of a similar-sounding one, often with unintentionally amusing effect, as in, for example, “dance a flamingo ” (instead of flamenco ).

jsb357

Reaction score
Case One:

Will you "read" a book to the little ones at bedtime

I will "read" a book to the little ones.

Did you "read" a book to the little ones?

I "read" a book to the little ones. :huh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Will you "read" a book to the little ones at bedtime

I will "read" a book to the little ones.

Did you "read" a book to the little ones?

I "read" a book to the little ones. :huh:
Yep, seems pretty arbitrary, but I think most of us were probably taught the difference in school.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Another of my faves: ‘baited breath’… Here’s some mouthwash, buddy! What’ve you been eating - old cigar minnows?