10)Marvin Lewis
I don't know...

Vladimir Holemgram should be higher than 4.:D

MossBurner

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
My picks:

1) B. Belichick
2) B. Cowher / M. Shanahan / M. Holmgren (pick your own order here; I have them as equals)

5) J. Fox
6) J. Fisher
7) B. Parcells
8) J. Gibbs
9) T. Dungy / J. Gruden / A. Reid
How do you have Cowher (1 SB), Shanahan (2), Holmgren (1), Fox (0), Fisher (0) & Parcells (2) listed above Gibbs (3)? I'm really curious.

MossBurner

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Top ten in no particular order :

Gibbs
Parcells
Fox
Saban
Belichik
Lewis
Cowher
Dungy
Holmgren
Fisher

Best list in this thread by far. I would have replaced Dungy and Fisher with Crennel and Love Smith.

superpunk

Reaction score
MossBurner said:
How do you have Cowher (1 SB), Shanahan (2), Holmgren (1), Fox (0), Fisher (0) & Parcells (2) listed above Gibbs (3)? I'm really curious.

Can you explain how Gibbs' three super bowls that occurred 15+ years ago have anything to do with coaching today?

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I like Marvin Lewis as much as the next guy, but what exactly has he done to be ranked so high? with all the top 10 choices they had, they've better have panned out with some of them

Do you remember how bad the Bungles were before Marvin Lewis got there? They had top 5 picks every year and still couldn't win. Lewis arrived and he has changed everything about that ream. Lewis is one of the best coaches in the league and I'd trade him for what we have in a heart beat.

I am happy with BP, but Lewis is a great coach, and will win a superbowl With Palmer and Johnson before it's all over.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
parchy said:
There are so many ways to coach in the NFL that it's virtually impossible to compare them apples to apples. So, in no particular order

Fox
Marv Lewis
BP
Cowher
Holmgren
Belichick
Shanahan
Mike Nolan (you'll see!)
Gibbs
Billick

Great list except the end. What has Billick done that makes you say, wow, this guy is a top NFL Coach. An offensive "genius" has failed to ever produce a good offense in Baltimore. Seems to be dead wrong with Kyle Boller. If it wasnt for Marv Lewis, Bliick would not even be in Baltimore anymore. Billick's SB came in a season when he had to find a way to put up 14 points and that was it.

Marv Lewis has already built a far better team than Billick has in Baltimore right now in Cincinatti. Granted he inherited some of that offensive fire power, but don't think that he isn't going to get that defensive to come around.

Again, real solid list, except Billick has no place on it.

Totally got to agree with Nolan, another coahc that helped Billick's rep immensely. SF has had good drafts, and not to open that can of worms, has added some serious talent with Antonio Bryant...Bryant is better than Brandon Lloyd.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
Pareclls MAY not be on my top 10 , I never thought about ti.......

By your logic, neither should Joe Gibbs. Neither has a SB in the last 10 years...however if you are going to say that Parcells has no place, dont evne try to say Gibbs should be on there. Parcells laid the groundwork for the Pats SB dynasties...look at the defenses, alot of it was his drafting.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shanahan
Sabin
Gruden

Hard to keep at least a couple of those off the list. Just thinking out loud.

MossBurner

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Can you explain how Gibbs' three super bowls that occurred 15+ years ago have anything to do with coaching today?

Well Gibbs has won more playoff games than the Tuna recently...

Gibbs also turned a Spurrier team into a Super Bowl contender in 2 seasons.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Best list in this thread by far. I would have replaced Dungy and Fisher with Crennel and Love Smith.

Agreed. I was looking for Crennel and Lovie too...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MossBurner said:

they've won Super Bowls this decade, and Parcells has a better head-to-head record than Gibbs since he's been back

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Gibbs also turned a Spurrier team into a Super Bowl contender in 2 seasons.

ooh, 1 playoff game, and when you guys make it to the NFC Championship game, then I'll call you Super Bowl contenders, you damn homer

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:
Do you remember how bad the Bungles were before Marvin Lewis got there? They had top 5 picks every year and still couldn't win. Lewis arrived and he has changed everything about that ream. Lewis is one of the best coaches in the league and I'd trade him for what we have in a heart beat.

but notice their picks have panned out? granted Marvin is a better talent evaluator than what he Bengales were used to, but finding the right players takes alot of luck too, sorry, you'll never convince me now that Marvin has done enough to be ranked so high

rdsknsbaby

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
they've won Super Bowls this decade, and Parcells has a better head-to-head record than Gibbs since he's been back

exactly.... look at overall and lets see whos better. the thread starter is a complete homer... Joe Gibbs is a HOF coach and should be in atleast the top 3 of everyones list.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rdsknsbaby said:
exactly.... look at overall and lets see whos better.

Parcells has Gibbs trumped too if you look at it overall, he's 15-8 against Gibbs in his lifetime

rdsknsbaby

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Parcells has Gibbs trumped too if you look at it overall, he's 15-8 against Gibbs in his lifetime

now i didnt mean better head to head.... i meant better overall.

rdsknsbaby

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
well I'm looking at the most telling statistic, head-to-head record

we are not talking about just BP and JG... we are talking about ALL Head coaches in the NFL... in which case Joe Gibbs is a HOF and should be listed ahead of 99% of all Head Coaches in the league right now, including Parcells.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rdsknsbaby said:
we are not talking about just BP and JG... we are talking about ALL Head coaches in the NFL... in which case Joe Gibbs is a HOF and should be listed ahead of 99% of all Head Coaches in the league right now, including Parcells.

if he doesn't have a better head to head record than Parcells since he's been back, and hasn't won a Super BOwl while other coaches have in his time back, I don't see how that can be the case, now leaving him out of the top 10 altogther is a different matter, and I see your point