Tornadoes

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yea, I hear ya......I've been directly involved with 4 in my lifetime......none of which I would call fun.
I just beat one by a couple of minutes once, in Brooklyn, NY of all places. It was about 6 a.m. and I was headed to my first stop. At one point it was raining so hard I could barely see, but I kept going and got to my stop, about a mile down the road and took a nap while I waited for the customer to open up. Made the delivery and headed back where I came from about an hour later. As I'm driving through, I see trees, roofs, and various debris all over the place. I turned the radio on and found out an F3 tornado ripped through there a little after 6.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I just beat one by a couple of minutes once, in Brooklyn, NY of all places. It was about 6 a.m. and I was headed to my first stop. At one point it was raining so hard I could barely see, but I kept going and got to my stop, about a mile down the road and took a nap while I waited for the customer to open up. Made the delivery and headed back where I came from about an hour later. As I'm driving through, I see trees, roofs, and various debris all over the place. I turned the radio on and found out an F3 tornado ripped through there a little after 6.
Yea, I hear ya...they don't play.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
When I was a kid in Texas, I remember my parents tossing me and my brothers into the bathtub and throwing a mattress over us. One time a tornado actually touched down on our street. It destroyed houses on the street to the left and right of us but only did minor damage to ours. Freaky how that works. It sounded like a freight train bearing down on you. Here in California now, we're worried about earthquakes and fires. The first real earthquake I felt shook me up.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When I was a kid in Texas, I remember my parents tossing me and my brothers into the bathtub and throwing a mattress over us. One time a tornado actually touched down on our street. It destroyed houses on the street to the left and right of us but only did minor damage to ours. Freaky how that works. It sounded like a freight train bearing down on you. Here in California now, we're worried about earthquakes and fires. The first real earthquake I felt shook me up.
I experience a very small earthquake here in CT, about 5 years ago, probably. It was different than I'd have thought. I would've thought the ground would be shaking up and down, but it was more side to side. At first I thought I was just disoriented, until my mechanic pointed at my truck behind me, and I saw it shaking back and forth.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Pretty much unrelated but how many people here are old enough that they experienced the nuke drills from school. Get under the desk and cover your head. That will ward off the nuclear blast. LOL.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I experience a very small earthquake here in CT, about 5 years ago, probably. It was different than I'd have thought. I would've thought the ground would be shaking up and down, but it was more side to side. At first I thought I was just disoriented, until my mechanic pointed at my truck behind me, and I saw it shaking back and forth.
The first one I experience was just a big jolt. Headlights were shining in my window so I actually thought a car had run into my house. The one that shook me up lasted a while. Kind of rolled and like you said, side to side. We actually get several a week here. You just don't notice the small ones.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Similar thing happened when I was a kid, about 5 or 6. I was at my sister's house on a farm just outside of town, she put us in the bathtub and covered us with blankets. The tornado didn't hit us, but hit a another farm about a half mile away. Luckily, it didn't hit their house, but did tear up a barn, a shed and tore up some fences.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Similar thing happened when I was a kid, about 5 or 6. I was at my sister's house on a farm just outside of town, she put us in the bathtub and covered us with blankets. The tornado didn't hit us, but hit a another farm about a half mile away. Luckily, it didn't hit their house, but did tear up a barn, a shed and tore up some fences.
I wonder if anyone has ever survived a direct hit from the bathtub maneuver. I'd like to think so but I don't know. Maybe saved some injuries at least from an indirect hit. Flying glass and debris is a big factor with tornadoes.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wonder if anyone has ever survived a direct hit from the bathtub maneuver. I'd like to think so but I don't know. Maybe saved some injuries at least from an indirect hit. Flying glass and debris is a big factor with tornadoes.
I imagine if a wall or ceiling actually collapsed, being inside the tub could protect you, though you might be trapped.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. Mine died about 10 or 15 years ago, but it was no big loss.
Sorry to hear that. It's a shame that all Dads don't do what they should, I was lucky that way. I never had kids of my own but I think I would have been good at it. I'm a great Step-Dad according to my wife's daughters at least.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sorry to hear that. It's a shame that all Dads don't do what they should, I was lucky that way. I never had kids of my own but I think I would have been good at it. I'm a great Step-Dad according to my wife's daughters at least.
Hey, if you're a great stepdad, that probably means you would've been a great dad. I think mine is the reason I never wanted kids of my own. It's all good, the world is overpopulated anyway, and getting worse every day. We need a good purge. lol

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Hey, if you're a great stepdad, that probably means you would've been a great dad. I think mine is the reason I never wanted kids of my own. It's all good, the world is overpopulated anyway, and getting worse every day. We need a good purge. lol
Likeminded. I never wanted kids when I was younger. Part of it was I thought I was too messed up to pass on my genes. I do have a bad family history beyond my parents. Then I met my wife and had a small window to have them with her. I waited until 39 to get married and I guess it wasn't meant to be. I am at peace with that though. I'm a good influence on her girls though. Their Dad is a good guy and still a big part of their lives but he's clueless with the street smarts. That's where I come in.