Totally bummed out - putting our dog down tommorow

brickman

Reaction score
I'm totally bummed out. Our 15 year old dog (she's a mix of german shepherd, lab & husky) is being put to sleep tomorrow. She has been such a good dog but her hind legs are failing and she's had a couple of seizures recently and it's time. She has been ok until recently, but now you can tell she's in pain. Selfeshness tells us to keep her around, but she doesn't deserve to suffer. I love that dog so much and now she won't be around anymore and it really hurts. I've been up since 4:30 because I can't sleep. May you rest in peace, Beauty. Rest in peace.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this,I know what you are going through, 10 years ago I had to have our 12 yr old Golden Ret. put down. I went in the room with her and stayed as they put her down. She was licking my face and I thought "wow this dog has no clue what's about to happen. It crushed me and it haunts me to this day taking her in and watching the procedure. I believe like anyone, or any animal that passes the hurt will go away and you have to just grasp the good times and memories you have had with the dog

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
I feel for you Man and I send my condolences.:( But if a dog can't do what a dog is supposed to do ,I guess it's time.

I've been thru it in the past and it was one of the toughest things I ever had to do. But it is best.

No matter what anyone thinks ,it's part of your family.

Hate to say it now, but a new member of your family would be a good thing ,You can't replace her, but it's time to start new memories with another addition ,it helps to forget.;)

brickman

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the kind words. As I sit here with tears streaming down my cheeks, it's hard to accept it right now, but we had many good times and I hope those will get me through it. The thing I like best about this site is the complete concern most everyone has for each other. It means the world to me. My wife is so much closer to the dog, she won't leave her side. I can't imagine the pain she is going through. The dog is part of the family and it's so hard to say goodbye. But thank you for your genuine concern.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brickman - I have been in your shoes several times and it's not easy. To many people, pets are family and the pain and sorrow you feel is very real. Feel good that you gave your dog a good life, something not all dogs are lucky enough to have. Hang in there.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

:(

dcdallaschick

Reaction score
I've been there, too. You want to keep them around, but you know it's just not fair. I wasn't sure if I wanted to be there when it happened or not, but it really was the best closure I could have asked for. She was so tensed-up and in so much discomfort--when the meds kicked in, I felt her finally relax and let go for the first time in a long while, and I knew I'd done the right and best thing.

Good luck to you--so sorry for your loss.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog Brickman. I've been through that same situation with a Golden Retriever. We now have a 9 year old Dalmation rescue. We'll go through it again, but the good times totally outweigh losing them. Hang in there man.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
my deepest condolences...It's inevitable when we bring them home...but it doesn't make it any less painful.

Just remember, they really never ask us for anything but to be strong in the end for them.

I work at a shelter and see many dogs without homes or dogs that people gave up on.

It's going to hurt for a while but be proud that you were there for her for 15 years...and you gave her a wonderful home.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Almost in tears for ya man. I'm a dog lover. They are like kids to me. I have never had to deal with what your dealing with. I guess I have been lucky, all my dogs have gone on their own during the night. I have a 12 year old Shepard/Grey Hound mix. She is the 1st dog I got when I moved out on my own. I sure hope she does us both the same favor as my past dogs but it kills me to think I some day may have to make that decision.

Wish I had some words that makes this all easier. I'm actually kind of choked up thinking of something to say.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow that is sad news brickman. Be thankful for the 15 years and cherrish the memories.

brickman

Reaction score
Thank you to all for the kind words, thoughts & wishes. You guys and gals are the best. You are like a second family. My family & I truly appreciate your kindness.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
brickman;3299348 said:
I'm totally bummed out. Our 15 year old dog (she's a mix of german shepherd, lab & husky) is being put to sleep tomorrow. She has been such a good dog but her hind legs are failing and she's had a couple of seizures recently and it's time. She has been ok until recently, but now you can tell she's in pain. Selfeshness tells us to keep her around, but she doesn't deserve to suffer. I love that dog so much and now she won't be around anymore and it really hurts. I've been up since 4:30 because I can't sleep. May you rest in peace, Beauty. Rest in peace.
I feel your pain. I had to put my dog Duke to sleep about 5 years ago. he was also a mixed breed(Doberman,Akita & Great Dane) 150 pounds. he had the same problem with his back legs. just remember she'll be in a better place and if you've ever had any other dogs they will take care of her and keep her company way up in the clouds.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
keep ya head up brick, i know its tough having been through the same thing with the family dog. Remeber the great times you had and some of the best moments to get you through the toughest times. Gotta be strong casue the wife will need you.

R.I.P Beauty, you were loved and will be missed greatly.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Just saw this but had to say how sorry I am, Brickman. My lab is 12 years old now and even though she's in good health now, I know I'll be facing this situation before too long. She's my little girl and I don't know how I'm going to stand it when the day comes. :(

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad, you're doing her a big favor. We had to put our dog down (she had cancer) and it was the saddest thing in my life, I couldn't even go to the vet.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of this brick... but as Juke said, we dog owners know this is inevitable at some point...

Just remember that you had her for 14 great years...

It will get better....

My Mini Aussie is only two... but I dread that day... he sleeps with me nightly...

brickman

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's been a few days now & it still hurts real bad, but I feel good in knowing that she is no longer in pain and in a better place. There is an empty space in my life right now, but hopefully soon we can get another dog and start it all over gain. The house just seems empty without her.