CFZ Tough Cowboys schedule

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Safe to say you have come close to the Vegas odds on win total for the Boys- 10.5 is the over/under this year. And as somone pointed out, the 'insiders' are calling this the easiest or second easiest schedule??? If that was the case our win total over/under would be a little higher no? And if not than really what they are saying is we are a win + a half worse this year compared to last year's record. I'll take the under like you and hope everyone stays healthy.
I think the reason they are staying its any easy schedule is our divisional foes along with the North and AFC South cumulatively had poor records last year.

What stands out to me is the divisional winners from last year we face which we lost to all of those we faced last year. I see those as 5 losses from the top probably starting 0-2. That puts us in a hole right off the bat. At LA, At GB and at Tenn prob losses too.

That means we need to win rest to match last year. I think our division has improved while we definitely lessened our talent and there’s probably an unexpected loss or two out there.

10 wins is as optimistic as I can be considering we’ve never made the playoffs with a 1st place schedule in 21st Century. Any key injuries on our OL and other key offensive pieces and it’s a very long season.

The fact I’m aligned with Vegas is reassuring. I’d take the under 10 1/2.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The average roster turnover from year to year for NFL teams is about 35-40%. For some teams it can be as high as 50%. The Cowboys roster turnover from 2020 to 2021 was about 40%.

So we’re supposed to predict how an NFL team is going to do in the upcoming season based on what they were last year and projecting that onto this year? With 30%-40% of the guys on the roster never having played together? The rookies haven’t even put on pads yet against NFL competition.

I know projecting wins and losses in May for games beginning in Sept is lots of fun. But I would place a very low level of accuracy to anyone’s predictions. It’s very difficult to have an objective opinion about any team without knowing how well they mesh with new teammates.

A good example is the bengals predictions last year. They won 4 games in 2020 and no one- zero- had them playing in a SB in 2021.

How many wins will the Cowboys have next year? I have no idea based on looking at this schedule now.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think we are still the best team in the NFC East. And it's not really that close, IMO. So I look at the schedule and put teams in 3 different categories based on if each team plays their best game, who will win. The categories: We are better and will win, We are even and the game is 50/50, They are better and we are facing an L unless they have an off day.

With that. I see 11 games are just better and will win:

NFC East Games: 6 wins
Lions
Bears
Vikings
Texans
Jags that's 11

Even:

TB (new coach and the game last year was a wash so, i expect this one to be too)
GB - If you think losing A Cooper really sets our O back, then losing D. Adams will destroy theirs
Titans
Colts - interested to see how they play with Matty Ice.

If we can split these that is 2 wins

Not better than:

Bengals
LA

So all in all, I expect us to go 12-5 - we will lose one of the games in the list of 11 teams we are better than.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Predictions at this point are based on last season. I'll at least wait to see how teams are doing in the preseason before I start to panic.

With that said it's good to be playing our first 2 games at home.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Predictions at this point are based on last season. I'll at least wait to see how teams are doing in the preseason before I start to panic.

With that said it's good to be playing our first 2 games at home.
That’s exactly right.

Predictions this year are based on last years results. And it’s really all we can do since we haven’t seen them this year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm with you, Diehard . . . I had this team pegged for a 10-7 season well before this schedule came to be official.

It's nothing to sneeze at, all things considered. We lost some valuable guys and gained some good rookies, too.

I'm positively envisioning these youngsters as some game players who will improve our toughness level greatly.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Tough schedule as rated by who?

The irony of this thread is that Dallas' schedule is listed as one the easiest in the entire league.

I mean, literally the 2 easiest out of 32 teams. Cant get much easier...on paper according to Sports Illustrated.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/20...schedule-based-on-2021-regular-season-records

Not that it means a ton preseason, as so many changes occur between one year and the next.
it id rated easy due to being in a bad div, it had maybe the fewest wins last season of any div?
So these SOS ratings are pretty much meaningless.
We have to look at the schedule and decide for ourselves.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Philly's schedule is totally laughable. While our schedule isn't particularly "hard", the Eagles clearly have a leg up scheduling wise in terms of a run for the division.
it is same as ours except the 3 sos games, and they had a lessor record so they get lessor teams for those 3 games
same for the other 2 nfc east teams.
it is fair based on what happened last season.
Las season dallas sos was based on their 6 win schedule, and 1 was minn which they won , NE win, and Cards was a loss.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I see 6 losses, so 11-6 is my initial prediction. but it could be worse or better.
I think they lose at least one div game.
Tenn Rams , GB, TB, Colts all losses
I got a feeling either detroit or chi will beat dallas too, one of them.

Motorola

Reaction score
it is same as ours except the 3 sos games, and they had a lessor record so they get lessor teams for those 3 games
same for the other 2 nfc east teams.
it is fair based on what happened last season.
Las season dallas sos was based on their 6 win schedule, and 1 was minn which they won , NE win, and Cards was a loss.
Year after year, some NFL fans still don't understand how the NFL schedule is generated - and it has been in place for two decades.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
According to the stats it's the easiest schedule in the league.
I understand but that’s not how I see it with a 1st place schedule including LA, Cinn, GB, TB and Tenn. Throw in a couple with Phil and that’s 7 games against playoff teams from last year.

Statistically what makes this schedule look easier is playing the NFC North which includes dismal Lions and Bears from last year , AFC south with Hou and Jax. Some potential easy wins assuming they aren’t improved .

But these stats are based on overall winning percentage from last year I believe. I’m not sure it takes into account our divisional foes who look to have upgraded in Wash and Phil and the fact we downgraded talent.

We shall see how it shakes out . But by my estimate we’ll be underdogs on all 5 games against division winners including the 2 to begin season at home which an 0-2 start could make the season tougher out of the gate .

And pending how the season unfolds we could be underdogs in a couple other road games potentially in Phil, Wash and or Minn. I’d argue that’s 6-8 games we won’t be favored to win which on its face makes it tougher than last year.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
it id rated easy due to being in a bad div, it had maybe the fewest wins last season of any div?
So these SOS ratings are pretty much meaningless.
We have to look at the schedule and decide for ourselves.
I believe these statistical rankings are based on cumulative win and loss record of opponents record from last year.

Which playing the NFC North, East and AFC South had worst records in NFL.