Tough day for me...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My daughter left for basic training today at Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri.

My wife and I were both somewhat surprised at her when she first started with the "army" talk back in the fall of 2004. But we've supported her and her decision to do this not just for herself but her country-- and that's a point she brought up, not I.

It's hard... especially with an only child. The house is already "empty" without her. And yeah, over the last few years her interests have changed and "mommy & daddy" were no longer at the top of her world the fact is over the last couple years she had really turned into an "adult" and she was someone whom you could talk too and joke with. And now she's gone and my world is emptier because of it.

But she had to do this for herself and for all of us. I'm awfully proud of her for her decision even though the short-term pain it will cause both her mother and I will be excruciating.

So for those of you out there that have kids, just think of what your world would be like without them around and you can appreciate a little of what I'm going through this evening.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Well, MW, if it makes ya feel any better, we're all damn proud of your daughter and your family.

These "kids" have a mind of their own and their own destiny to fulfill. The best parents are the ones who realize they don't own their kids, but instead champion them on as they strive to meet goals and dreams, in spite of the personal pain it might cause

Well done. Your daughter is a special person. I guess she takes after her mom. :D

You got the # if you wanna yap...just say "Hi Loser" and I'll know who it is. :D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99 said:
Well, MW, if it makes ya feel any better, we're all damn proud of your daughter and your family.

These "kids" have a mind of their own and their own destiny to fulfill. The best parents are the ones who realize they don't own their kids, but instead champion them on as they strive to meet goals and dreams, in spite of the personal pain it might cause

Well done. Your daughter is a special person. I guess she takes after her mom. :D

You got the # if you wanna yap...just say "Hi Loser" and I'll know who it is. :D

LOL!

Come'on you know "Loser" is a term of affection. :)

Yep, saying goodbye in the airport was very tough... but I was pretty proud as she took the oath. :)

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
God bless you and your family Michael... you and your wife have raised an American hero... :thumbup:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Sooooo....Michael....Miki....Mickeroo.....sounds like your daughter is in my age range........Ahem.

Introduction?

k19

Reaction score
Wish her the best from all of us Mikey. I'm sure she do fine and make us all proud.

If the house feels empty I have 3 here I can loan ya. Well make that 2 the little one stays but you are more then welcome to the 14 year old or the 12 year old :D

If ya wanna yap call J, I'm going to watch "walking with Dinosaurs" for the millionth time but seriously feel free to shoot me a PM

Juke, be expecting an update from me tomorrow

k19

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Sooooo....Michael....Miki....Mickeroo.....sounds like your daughter is in my age range........Ahem.

Introduction?

I thought you liked the "older ones"

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:

Introduction?

Well she doesn't start target practice for a couple weeks yet. :)

k19

Reaction score
send him a pic of juke in a dress, that'll scare him away :D

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I remember the day I left my tough guy, not really, father broke down and I lost it a little :rolleyes: and my Mom went to the airport with me and almost didn't let me go. She wasn't pleased I decided to join to begin with.

Tell your daughter we are all proud of her and just think now you and Mrs Winki get to spend time with with each other.....that poor lady ;)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
k19 said:
send him a pic of juke in a dress, that'll scare him away :D

Are you for real? That's how I got the job as a moderator. That Hos jusssssst lovesssss a frilly dress. :D

Duane

Reaction score
Bless you and the family Mike. If there is anything we can do to support let us know. :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

My wife and I were both somewhat surprised at her when she first started with the "army" talk back in the fall of 2004. But we've supported her and her decision to do this not just for herself but her country-- and that's a point she brought up, not I.

It's hard... especially with an only child. The house is already "empty" without her. And yeah, over the last few years her interests have changed and "mommy & daddy" were no longer at the top of her world the fact is over the last couple years she had really turned into an "adult" and she was someone whom you could talk too and joke with. And now she's gone and my world is emptier because of it.

But she had to do this for herself and for all of us. I'm awfully proud of her for her decision even though the short-term pain it will cause both her mother and I will be excruciating.

So for those of you out there that have kids, just think of what your world would be like without them around and you can appreciate a little of what I'm going through this evening.
I knew this was coming soon. Hang in there MW. Be proud of her.

I appreciate eveyone who serves.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Well she doesn't start target practice for a couple weeks yet. :)
Good one.

I am sorry to hear of your daughter's departure.

God bless you and yours.

jman

Reaction score
Tell your daughter THANK YOU!

And a thanks you to you and your wife...You both have raised a thoughtful, responsible, and brave individual.

God bless you and your family and may God watch over her and all the troups of this great country.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
I remember the day I left my tough guy, not really, father broke down and I lost it a little :rolleyes: and my Mom went to the airport with me and almost didn't let me go. She wasn't pleased I decided to join to begin with.

Tell your daughter we are all proud of her and just think now you and Mrs Winki get to spend time with with each other.....that poor lady ;)

Same thing here, same exp when I left and my parents there.

So Wild Daddy...tell your daughter she has fans all across the USA and tell her we all say thanks.

Now you need something to occupy your mind and time, an extra hobby if you will.....I suggest frying loads of canadian bacon. ;)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Mikey, I can imagine how empty the house must be without her.

As they say, the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, so we know she will do you proud - she already has.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

MW, it is a cruel irony that if you have been a good parent, and you raise your child to be a well rounded, self sufficient adult, they will leave.

Whereas if you weren't a good parent and they grow up without the resources or the tools to go out into the world and take care of themselves, they stay at home forever. (which is not a good thing)

I feel your pain, my youngest has gone away to college.
I wish I could tell you it gets easier, but I can't.

He is in his last year at Marshall University, and I still hate to see him go back when he comes home some weekends.

I can say that my wife and I are enjoying the "empty nest", but I still miss him.

I know you are very proud of your daughter, as well you should be.

twa

Reaction score
Best wishes MW, sounds like you raised a fine young woman. :bravo:

I can relate somewhat to the empty nest bit as a young man I helped raise left for basic last month and my son leaves in a month...going to be awfull quiet around here... course my grocery bill will go down a LOT ;)