Tough day for me...

Kangaroo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
My daughter left for basic training today at Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri.

My wife and I were both somewhat surprised at her when she first started with the "army" talk back in the fall of 2004. But we've supported her and her decision to do this not just for herself but her country-- and that's a point she brought up, not I.

It's hard... especially with an only child. The house is already "empty" without her. And yeah, over the last few years her interests have changed and "mommy & daddy" were no longer at the top of her world the fact is over the last couple years she had really turned into an "adult" and she was someone whom you could talk too and joke with. And now she's gone and my world is emptier because of it.

But she had to do this for herself and for all of us. I'm awfully proud of her for her decision even though the short-term pain it will cause both her mother and I will be excruciating.

So for those of you out there that have kids, just think of what your world would be like without them around and you can appreciate a little of what I'm going through this evening.

Hey I am saying this from two perspective as a father and as a fellow soldier. To understand I was 17 years old and my parents had to sign the paper work for me to join that early.

I am glad you have embraced your daughter decison as a soldier that will help her along the way because when she is far away and things are tough (which will happen) it will matter and it will help her. You will have to trust me on this one it will mean more to her than you may realize.

Second as a father I will pray for you and your wife; with what is happening around the world has to add to the emotion beyond just her growing up.

Well wishes from a fellow father and soldier