Tow truck companies are the scum of the earth...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
...bunch of maggots.

I got my car towed this weekend. I was parked in a no parking zone. I got my car towed. I take responsibility for parking in the wrong place. It was my bad.

What they tried to do to me when I get there is beyond belief.

Tow companies have the same authority to run your license plates and see if you have warrants etc.

I have been trying to take care of a warrant that hadn't been processed yet. Well, it went into effect on Friday...I didn't know this yet.

So - I get towed. I call the number. I bring what they tell me to. License and title.

Well, I get down there and the address on the two don't match. So, the lady tells me I have to go all the way to DPS and change the address on my license.

I say, is that my only option? And she says "yes".

Well, this didn't seem right to me, so I questioned her and told her "look, there is this thing called "discretion", you should maybe use some here".

It was obvious this person was me. I own the car and I had the title to it.

She tells me, "it's the law" while pointing a pen at my face.

I told her "don't point that pen in my face" and.."you're running a chicken **** business"

I asked her "is there any other way I can handle this other than going down to DPS"?

She says, "no".

I tell her, "you're full of **** and you know it".

I did some reading on the subject so I knew I was right.

She and this other burly little man - who both looked fresh from prison - start telling me that they are calling the cops. I say, "let me get some stuff out of my car, it's my property".

She tells me, "that's against the law".

I again get fed up and she tell her what a "maggot" she is. I knew she was up to something.

So, I am leaving with my friend who took me there and I think to myself, "I am going to get my stuff, screw them"...The gate was open.

So I start to go to the yard to get my axe (guitar) and my amp and some other things that go with it and the guy runs in the building Jerry-Springer-style and say's "HE"S GOING TO THE YARD"!!! "CALL THE COPS"!!

I'm like ***?

So, I get in the car and say "let's go"...

Later - I call back and the cop is there. The lady "Kathy" who was straight from the Jerry Spring show says to me that she is tired of my mouth and this and that...I say, "may I please speak with the officer there, ma'am"?

She says, "let's just put this on speaker phone".

I say great, "let's do that".

The officer says, "what's going on"?

I say, "I am tying to get my truck out and she wants to play Jerry Springer".

He asked me what it was that I couldn't do?

I said, "she told me that my only option was to go to DPS and change my address".

He says, "no, you can also fill out a form here and get it notorized for 6 bucks and they'll release your vehicle".

I say, "she didn't tell me that".

She says, "I did tell you that, I tell everyone that everyday of my tow yard slummin' life".. :D

I swore to the officer that I wasn't given this option and told him that I asked her repeatidly for an alternative option and she had given me only one.\

I felt she was up to something and was trying to stage the events to where my car would get stuck there for more days and what not.

I ask the officer about my warrants. Turns out - they're in effect as of Friday.

Unbelievable.

I told the officer what she was up to.

She was trying to get me to go to DPS and get arrested for my tickets just so she could keep my vehicle at her sleezy yard for another day or two or however long.

AND...

She also told me that I had to get a notorized for to get the car released. So, I tell the officer that I am sending a friend down to pick it up so I can take care of my warrant tommorow.

He says that's fine, he'll just fill out paperwork on your behalf and get it notorized and they can release it to him.

He goes up there with my other friend and she gives my truck to him with no notorized letter and just my title.

And she tried to charge me 32 bucks for a certified letter that they issue between 24 and 48 hours.

I call up there while this is going on and I have given my friend the exact change...$165.32.

She tell me that she has a total of $197.32...I say wait a minute, you just told me not 30 minutes ago that it was $165.32...she says, "I printed up a certification letter about 5 minutes ago"..

Anyways, I raise hell with this inbred maggot and she finally let's me have my car for $165.32..

Get this - when I get it back the door is all dented in from a pole or something ( I was parked in a small, cramped ally).

They say that it was already like that and I need to bring it up there so they can see what I am talking about and this and that..

I say, "who do I call to report this".

They keep saying, "bring it up here"...

I told them what maggots they were and call 311 - non emergency police department and they give me a number to a detective who just left.

So, I have to wait till tommorow to talk to him. I am busy tommorow.

Also - none of the business called about my car being parked there. The lot was empty.

Turns out they have a "general authorization" to do this to certain parking lots and what they do is lurk around these parking lots like little stalker-sharks and run their business like this.

These people are certainly the scum of the Earth.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
been there done that... you ***** up by having an outstanding warrant...

tow companies are out for a buck... they don't have to have police notification... they peruse the club parking lots looking for violaters...

When I was in college we went to a bar one night... we parked in a legal area but it had recently been deemed unsafe... there were no signs stating so...

I came out of the club at the urging of a friend...

They were willing to "drop" my car for a cool $120...

I paid it... what else could I do... they did a lot of damage to it and ruined my lock breaking in to it...

I had grease all over my seats and steering wheel... and they took the liberty to smoke in it and use my virgin ashtray...

I consulted a lawyer after the whole deal and he told me I would spend more fighting it than just taking it up the arse...

I have never walked the same since...

jamez25

Reaction score
I told them what maggots they were and call 311 - non emergency police department and they give me a number to a detective who just left.
learn something new everyday.....those dirtbags will try and screw you outta as much money as possible...the last time my car was towed was like 10 years ago and they charged me like $80.....hope everything works out.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I had my car stolen about 12 yrs ago and I had to pay a tow and lot fee to get MY car back.

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I had my car stolen about 12 yrs ago and I had to pay a tow and lot fee to get MY car back.

Same here. It made me sick to my stomach. :mad:

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I have been trying to take care of a warrant that hadn't been processed yet. Well, it went into effect on Friday...I didn't know this yet.

Sorry, but the fact that it IS a warrant means that it IS "processed", (whatever the F THAT'S supposed to mean) and the "it went into effect on Friday...I didn't know this yet." line, sounds like the scenes from "Cops," where they've finally chased down the perp, have them cuffed in the back of the car w/ the door open, and they're rattling-off that, "hey man, I thought I took care of that ticket 8 mths ago!!" excuse.

Here's a hint, when you see those signs in life's journeys that say "NO," and you choose to go ahead and "DO," you got NO reason to blame someone else when they bend you over a barrel and insert their digits!!

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
trickblue said:
been there done that... you ***** up by having an outstanding warrant...

tow companies are out for a buck... they don't have to have police notification... they peruse the club parking lots looking for violaters...

When I was in college we went to a bar one night... we parked in a legal area but it had recently been deemed unsafe... there were no signs stating so...

I came out of the club at the urging of a friend...

They were willing to "drop" my car for a cool $120...

I paid it... what else could I do... they did a lot of damage to it and ruined my lock breaking in to it...

I had grease all over my seats and steering wheel... and they took the liberty to smoke in it and use my virgin ashtray...

I consulted a lawyer after the whole deal and he told me I would spend more fighting it than just taking it up the arse...

I have never walked the same since...

you should have kicked that guys *** then make him clean your car

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Sorry, but the fact that it IS a warrant means that it IS "processed", (whatever the F THAT'S supposed to mean) and the "it went into effect on Friday...I didn't know this yet." line, sounds like the scenes from "Cops," where they've finally chased down the perp, have them cuffed in the back of the car w/ the door open, and they're rattling-off that, "hey man, I thought I took care of that ticket 8 mths ago!!" excuse.

Here's a hint, when you see those signs in life's journeys that say "NO," and you choose to go ahead and "DO," you got NO reason to blame someone else when they bend you over a barrel and insert their digits!!

No, it was a ticket that apparenltly, I wasn't able to pay at the Precinct I went to. They didn't have anything on it in their system, but I had paper work showing that I had to be there with a certain amount of money to pay for it. When I went between the dates allowed on the ticket, they didn't have any info. on it and wouldn't take my money.

The lady said to keep checking in and in the mean time she did some research and eventually found the ticket.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You can check into this other states.

In Arizona if your car is NOT towed by the Police Department or a Law Enforcement Agency then they cannot keep your car even if you do NOT pay.

No private entity or company in AZ can deny a person their vehicle because it is a means to get to and from work. They can't prevent you from doing that in this state. If you claim to also need the vehicle to pick up necessary medication then you really have them.

Now, the rules change if a Law Enforcement Agency tows your vehicle it is a different matter. They can demand payment before you get your vehicle back.

In AZ if you go to the lot where your car is being kept you can simply refuse to pay. Eventually you need to call for an officer. In the meantime while the officer arrives they will try and do everything in their power to get you to pay something. They know they cannot keep your car.

Once an officer arrives he/she will inform them that you have a right to your vehicle and they will release it to you without having paid a dime. They will threaten to take you to small claims court. It never happens.

I'd be willing to bet this isn't the only state that offers this protection, but you'll have to ask around.

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'd be willing to bet this isn't the only state that offers this protection, but you'll have to ask around.

I can guarantee you, Texas isn't one of 'em!

Do a yahoo yellow pages search for "towing" in any major Tx city, and you'll find tons.

The wouldn't last long if those type of restrictions were in place here.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
I can guarantee you, Texas isn't one of 'em!

Do a yahoo yellow pages search for "towing" in any major Tx city, and you'll find tons.

The wouldn't last long if those type of restrictions were in place here.
You'll find that here too, but very few people know this is the case.

Once you've paid them, you can't ever get your money back. Then it becomes a legal transaction that you have agreed to.

Ask, you might be surprised.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Oh yeah, one other thing. You do have to be nice. If you aren't as soon as the Police arrive they can cite you for disorderly conduct and they will gladly do it.

If you are too polite, there is nothing that can be done.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Don't need to, this is a HS classmate's Co.

I know of whence I speak.
I was shocked to learn that was the case here.

Just food for thought. Don't ask if you don't want to or your mind is made up.

I'm just saying it might be the case.

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I was shocked to learn that was the case here.

Just food for thought. Don't ask if you don't want to or your mind is made up.

I'm just saying it might be the case.

lol umm, AGAIN, I don't need to ask, I know for a fact, how many diff ways do I need to say it?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
lol umm, AGAIN, I don't need to ask, I know for a fact, how many diff ways do I need to say it?
Thirty seven.

If I'm right your friend could lose money. I get it. Shh. :D