Trade Down? No Way, Trade Up For A Nose Tackle

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
starheader-mar29.gif

When the Cowboys lost LaRoi Glover they were essentially left with Jason Ferguson as the only real Nose Tackle on the roster. This is not good. Coach Parcells will be the first to tell you that the Nose Tackle is probably the most important position in the 3-4 defense.​

Ferguson is the guy who has to control his area at the point of attack. Now this may entail him being attacked by two offensive lineman, a Center and either of the Guards. The Nose Tackle is considered the brick wall in a 3-4 defense. Are we to expect Jason Ferguson and his 30 something year old frame to hold up after playing 90% of the defensive plays for 16 regular season games?

Who just said the name Thomas 'Pepper' Johnson? Come on now folks. This guy showed some jump in his step last training camp and he contributed a play or two last season, but he is not ready to get into a partnership with Jason Ferguson at the Nose Tackle spot.

Brodrick Bunkley from the Florida State Seminoles is though. He's the 'LaRoi Glover Jr.' in my opinion. 6'2 and 302lbs of muscle just waiting for the opposing running back. Fergy and Bunkley has a nice ring to it. Fergy on first and second down, then Bunkley comes in on third down to help out. Of course there are all kinds of situations you could rotate these two guys in and out of the lineup and not worry about losing much as far as production.

Not feeling the Bunkley idea? How about Haloti Ngata from Oregon. He's even bigger than Bunkley at 6'4 338lbs. The reason I like Bunkley before this kid is that I would like a little different type of guy to spell the starter. Bunkley is a little better at getting to the quarterback as far as I am concerned. If Bunkley is Glover Jr. then Ngata is Fergy Jr. if you know what I mean. Ngata is rated higher by a lot of draft boards and that's because he is being looked at as a starter in some team's 3-4 defense in 2006.

Why do I want to trade up for a guy who will not start right away? Because in a lot of eyes this 2006 season is where the Cowboys are 'going for gold'. So if this is the year to pull out all the stops by signing Free Agents then why wouldn't the Cowboys use the same motto when they approach the 2006 NFL Draft? I say go full steam ahead in every aspect of this off season and leave not stone unturned heading into opening day on September 10, 2006.

Losing Glover was a big hit to the Cowboys defense right? So then someone has to be brought in to replace him. I don't see any Free Agents left that fit the bill. There is no one on the roster who has been waiting in the wings. Then the draft seems like the only other option to me.

Someone will trade with the Cowboys because everyone loves Jerry Jones. The man can work something out where Dallas gets a spot within the top 12 picks. I would assume this would get them either Bunkley or Ngata. If Jerry is reading this then he should agree with me and just go for it.

Think about it Cowboy fans. Jerry took a huge chance by signing Terrell Owens. Jerry made sure he filled the most needed area of Right Tackle with Jason Fabini. Jerry got his Kicker and Linebacker with Mike Vanderjagt and Akin Ayodele. Jerry even made sure he had replacements for Larry Allen and Dan Campbell before the Cowboys even knew these two guys were definitely not coming back. Jerry was even making an attempt to bring Keyshawn back to the team before he signed with the Panthers.

All those moves tell us that this is the year of the Dallas Cowboys. They are thinking big for the 2006 season. So then think big in the draft and make sure you get a replacement for LaRoi Glover which was the Cowboys biggest loss so far.

Trade up to take Brodrick Bunkley or Haloti Ngata in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft and be happy about it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
uh, Glover wasn't even a real NT in the 3-4, there's a reason he's not here, and it's not just the cap charge

and trade down as in take one in the 7th

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Let's see...starter at NT, no starter at SOLB. Which is a bigger need?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I personally think we need SOLB before we need backup NT.

We have Fergy at NT... a good starter.

At SOLB, we have Al Singleton... not a good starter... and we have zero behind him. Which is even less than we have behind Fergy.

I can't see us going backup NT in round 1... much less moving up to get one. The value for us in round 1, looks like it'll be at OLB. DT/NT's always tend to be drafted higher than their talent dictates, whereas LB's tend to slide a little.

We can sit at #18 and probably have our pick from Wimbley, Lawson and Carpenter. All three of those guys would be huge upgrades over Singleton. They only have first round value for 3-4 teams though, while Ngata and Bunkley have 1st round value for any team... that makes for OLB being a better value for us.

I do think we need a backup NT, although I do like Pepper... I just don't think we'll do it in round 1. We might do it in round 2 though, if the right guy is sitting there. Particularly since reading that Jerry Jones said probably no FS in the first two rounds. I think Dallas likes Watson if he's there in the second. As a matter of fact, your scenario might indeed play itself out... only in the second round, not the first. If Gabe Watson is there at say the 10th pick of the second round, we might trade up a few spots to insure that we get him.

Lawson/Carpenter/Wimbley and Watson in the first two rounds? Fine with me.

conner01

Reaction score
there are good nt's you can have in the 5th rnd like fifita who is a true nt. nt is not an impact position. his job is the clog the middle. you don't trde up for anything but impact players.i agree we need some depth at nt, but not in the first.i like stanley.osinowa,or fifita, but i don't think you trade up for a nt

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
dcfanatic said:
[

Brodrick Bunkley from the Florida State Seminoles is though. He's the 'LaRoi Glover Jr.' in my opinion. 6'2 and 302lbs of muscle just waiting for the opposing running back. Fergy and Bunkley has a nice ring to it. Fergy on first and second down, then Bunkley comes in on third down to help out. Of course there are all kinds of situations you could rotate these two guys in and out of the lineup and not worry about losing much as far as production.

Not feeling the Bunkley idea? How about Haloti Ngata from Oregon. He's even bigger than Bunkley at 6'4 338lbs. The reason I like Bunkley before this kid is that I would like a little different type of guy to spell the starter. Bunkley is a little better at getting to the quarterback as far as I am concerned. If Bunkley is Glover Jr. then Ngata is Fergy Jr. if you know what I mean. Ngata is rated higher by a lot of draft boards and that's because he is being looked at as a starter in some team's 3-4 defense in 2006.

Never really heard of Bunkley before. Thanks for the info.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
So now not only are we supposed to take a backup NT in round 1, but someone wants to use multiple picks to trade UP to get a backup player? give me a break

and then there is this little tidbit that makes me think a teenager wrote this

Someone will trade with the Cowboys because everyone loves Jerry Jones. The man can work something out where Dallas gets a spot within the top 12 picks. I would assume this would get them either Bunkley or Ngata. If Jerry is reading this then he should agree with me and just go for it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Get Fifita in the 5th. he is a real NT that will truly clog the middle and be able to stand up any Center in the league.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
We won't trade up but we will get a nt, we do have a need there, don't forget Glover started the year becasue Fergy was out of shape, that doesn't bode well, we need another body here...

Wimbo

Reaction score
I'm guessing we are one of the two teams considering Sam Adams (Cincy is the only confirmed of the two teams reported to be interested). With only two teams interested, the price should not be inflated. Dallas would fit for him, as he would only have to play 40-50% of the snaps. Also, the silence about the 2nd interested team points to Dallas (ever since Parcells arrived, the team has been very hush regarding offseason moves). Just speculating.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now Thomas Johnson would be the backup to Fergy, if Dallas is not conviced he can do the job then chances are Dallas will be looking to add to that position.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
If we trade up it won't be for a NT, especially with the glaring need at OLB.

Having said that, where do you guys think Greg Ellis fits into the 3-4 mix? Will he be a DE or can he serve as a NT? I ask because Ellis has more size than Glover - who did play NT last year - and Ellis is solid against the run, which is what you need your NT to be. Any thoughts?

StevenOtero

Reaction score
dcfanatic said:
starheader-mar29.gif

When the Cowboys lost LaRoi Glover they were essentially left with Jason Ferguson as the only real Nose Tackle on the roster. This is not good. Coach Parcells will be the first to tell you that the Nose Tackle is probably the most important position in the 3-4 defense.​

Ferguson is the guy who has to control his area at the point of attack. Now this may entail him being attacked by two offensive lineman, a Center and either of the Guards. The Nose Tackle is considered the brick wall in a 3-4 defense. Are we to expect Jason Ferguson and his 30 something year old frame to hold up after playing 90% of the defensive plays for 16 regular season games?

Who just said the name Thomas 'Pepper' Johnson? Come on now folks. This guy showed some jump in his step last training camp and he contributed a play or two last season, but he is not ready to get into a partnership with Jason Ferguson at the Nose Tackle spot.

Why do I want to trade up for a guy who will not start right away? Because in a lot of eyes this 2006 season is where the Cowboys are 'going for gold'. So if this is the year to pull out all the stops by signing Free Agents then why wouldn't the Cowboys use the same motto when they approach the 2006 NFL Draft? I say go full steam ahead in every aspect of this off season and leave not stone unturned heading into opening day on September 10, 2006.

Losing Glover was a big hit to the Cowboys defense right? So then someone has to be brought in to replace him. I don't see any Free Agents left that fit the bill. There is no one on the roster who has been waiting in the wings. Then the draft seems like the only other option to me.

Think about it Cowboy fans. Jerry took a huge chance by signing Terrell Owens. Jerry made sure he filled the most needed area of Right Tackle with Jason Fabini. Jerry got his Kicker and Linebacker with Mike Vanderjagt and Akin Ayodele. Jerry even made sure he had replacements for Larry Allen and Dan Campbell before the Cowboys even knew these two guys were definitely not coming back. Jerry was even making an attempt to bring Keyshawn back to the team before he signed with the Panthers.

All those moves tell us that this is the year of the Dallas Cowboys. They are thinking big for the 2006 season. So then think big in the draft and make sure you get a replacement for LaRoi Glover which was the Cowboys biggest loss so far.

Trade up to take Brodrick Bunkley or Haloti Ngata in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft and be happy about it.

crybaby.jpg

lkelly

Reaction score
A) As someone pointed out, Glover wasn't a nose tackle. That's why he isn't here anymore. So we don't have to replace our backup nose tackle since that wasn't Glover.

B) Has Bunkley ever played the nose in a 3-4? FSU plays a 4-3 base defense. Trading up to get a backup NT who hasn't even played the position doesn't make a lot of sense. Granted Dallas drafted Ware as a 3-4 OLB which was a new position, but they had a gaping hole there and much of his rookie responsibility wasn't that much different from the rush 4-3 DE role he had in college.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:

Having said that, where do you guys think Greg Ellis fits into the 3-4 mix? Will he be a DE or can he serve as a NT? I ask because Ellis has more size than Glover - who did play NT last yeas - and Ellis is solid against the run, which is what you need your NT to be. Any thoughts?

He stays at DE, Ellis does not have the size to play the NT postion at all. That clearly is a must at NT to have a big body occupying the middle. While Glover was not the ideal size to play NT he still had a lot more size that what Ellis brings. Thomas Johnson at 6'2" 300 lbs is really the only player who fits the position other than Fergy

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AMERICAS_FAN said:

Having said that, where do you guys think Greg Ellis fits into the 3-4 mix? Will he be a DE or can he serve as a NT? I ask because Ellis has more size than Glover - who did play NT last year - and Ellis is solid against the run, which is what you need your NT to be. Any thoughts?

I'm not an expert in the matter, but I always wondered why Ellis couldn't bulk up more. He's a 6'6" guy and what, 270lbs ? Seems like his weight hasn't fluctuated much in his career.

Myself, I've never had a problem bulking up...Matter of fact I could stand to lose 20 lbs or so...

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Can anyone name the backup NTs for Pitt, NE, SD, Mia?(without looking it up) They might pick up a NT somewhere in the draft, but it isn't a need. The Cowboys are claiming that they are picking BPA with the first two picks and I hope thats what they do. No need to trade up in that situation unless a top pick somehow falls.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
lkelly said:
B) Has Bunkley ever played the nose in a 3-4? FSU plays a 4-3 base defense. Trading up to get a backup NT who hasn't even played the position doesn't make a lot of sense. Granted Dallas drafted Ware as a 3-4 OLB which was a new position, but they had a gaping hole there and much of his rookie responsibility wasn't that much different from the rush 4-3 DE role he had in college.

Bunkley is an up-field interior rusher ala Glover

ravidubey

Reaction score
Glover wasn't a true NT, but HELLO, that's where he started for much of the year. IMO, at this age Fergy is better suited to beign a run-stopping DT in a 4-3.

Dallas needs a young prospect at NT, without question, IMO. Going into the season with Fergy and Johnson as the best options is risky.