Trade idea with Eagles

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CalPolyTechnique, Feb 15, 2020.

1. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

13,073 Messages
    18,826 Likes Received
    Trade idea...presuming we don’t franchise Dak

1. Use the franchise tag on Cooper
    2. Trade Cooper to the Eagles for either Ertz or Goedert (Eagles would likely offer Ertz over Goedert)
    Rationale

Cowboys may have some reluctance to signing Cooper for a long term contract worth ~$19-20M per year.

The Eagles actually offered a 2nd round pick to the Raiders for Cooper before the Cowboys outbid them with a 1st rounder. The point being is the Eagles have had recent interest in Cooper and in need of a #1.

Ertz will be 30 when the season starts while Goedert is just 24. I would guess the Eagles are looking to get a real threat at WR to pair with Wentz. Cooper could immediately renegotiate for a longer contract once traded.

Ertz would give the Cowboys a proven playmaking TE to pair with Dak. Dallas could also possibly grab Jeudy or Lamb should they drop to 17 or make a move to grab one if one is in striking distance.

Ertz is only due $6.6M in 2020 and $8.5M 2021 and then becomes a FA.

Dallas would be saving money by making this move and could utilize the extra cash on signing its own players or signing FAs.

FTWayne likes this.
  2. garyo1954

garyo1954 Well-Known Member

1,867 Messages
    2,041 Likes Received
    Why can't the Eagles draft their own WR with their 10 picks? A 1, 2, (2) 3s, (3) 4s, (2) 5s, and a 6. CBS mock says Tee Higgs, others have them getting Henry Ruggs at 21.

p_tubbs, JayFord, FTWayne and 4 others like this.
  3. jaythecowboy

jaythecowboy Well-Known Member

861 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Maybe Ertz and a 1st lol

Vanilla2 and beware_d-ware like this.
  4. Loso86

Loso86 Well-Known Member

513 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    So trade our best receiver to the eagles....get a decent TE. And now Coop can embarrass our secondary especially since no one wants to keep Byron Jones......hahaha no sir

WTtoolman, 408Cowboy, GMO415 and 15 others like this.
  5. SSoup

SSoup Well-Known Member

722 Messages
    736 Likes Received
    No thanks.

First of all, I'd rather have a #1 WR than a #1 TE, all things being equal.

Second of all, Ertz is almost 30 and his decline has already started. His average per catch has sunk from 13 to 12 to 11 to the 10's. Make this trade, and we'll be the suckers left holding the bag while his average drops down into the single-digits where he's not really even a weapon anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I can see this being appealing to the Eagles since they get a 25-year old #1 WR out of it and they already have a nice young TE prospect groomed to replace Ertz ready to go.

I could also see the Eagles deciding, "You know what, Cooper's extension will cost a lot. For what we pay him, maybe we can go get a couple of Randall Cobb types. Without having to give up Ertz. We sign a couple nice #2 WR types, draft a couple WRs in the first few rounds, and still have Ertz and Goeddert. Suddenly we're drowning in passing game weapons."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    PJTHEDOORS likes this.
  6. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Well-Known Member

5,666 Messages
    17,662 Likes Received
    Why would the egirls do this?

Coop is an unrestricted FA. Plus, It would help us for sure but it doesn’t help them near as much. Ertz is probably the best offensive player they have and no NFL team is interested in making a trade with their biggest rival in the division even if it was an equal swap- which this wouldn’t be.

Aerolithe_Lion, Kaiser and garyo1954 like this.
  7. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

7,254 Messages
    6,461 Likes Received
    Ertz is Wentz go to player. I don’t think the Eagles would do that

Reality and rocyaice like this.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

30,357 Messages
    23,172 Likes Received
    No thanks. Eagles didn’t even want us to draft Goedert let alone trading us him or Ertz. Makes no mistake.

conner01 likes this.
  9. CalPolyTechnique

13,073 Messages
    18,826 Likes Received
    Because the Eagles don’t have any wide receivers unless you’re banking on the aging Jeffrey and DeSean Jackson.

If Cooper is tagged he can be traded. The Cowboys get something for effectively nothing. Goedert is the up and comer and their passing attack has been one-dimensional without real threats at wide reciever.

FTWayne likes this.
  10. Pola_pe_a

Pola_pe_a Active Member

201 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    Why would the Eagles trade a very good TE with two fairly cheap years left for a WR who is on a tag and would need an immediate big money extension? They are better served going through the draft or Free Agency.

conner01 likes this.
  11. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod ♡☆

20,535 Messages
    48,171 Likes Received
    Coops going to do well in McCarthy's offense. He's not going anywhere.

cowboyec, JoeKing and Blackrain like this.
  12. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

3,618 Messages
    4,207 Likes Received
    I threw up a little bit in my mouth. Yes, this thread just made a grown man baby puke in his own mouth. You don't trade with the freaking Eagles.

OmerV, Qcard, Blackrain and 1 other person like this.
  13. mcmvp

mcmvp Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    1,004 Likes Received
    ^This...it would never happen

14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

18,537 Messages
    17,405 Likes Received
    Eagles would be crazy to do it but I’d do it in a heartbeat

Ertz is a great TE

Aerolithe_Lion likes this.
  15. CalPolyTechnique

13,073 Messages
    18,826 Likes Received
    You mean the same receiver they tried trading for in 2018, lol?

FTWayne likes this.
  16. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

16,621 Messages
    19,054 Likes Received
    hell...no.
    i want no part of making them better.

17. Pola_pe_a

Pola_pe_a Active Member

201 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    Yes the one who had years left in ‘18 and whom they offered a 2nd for not a Pro Bowl TE.

Qcard and stuckindc like this.
  18. CalPolyTechnique

13,073 Messages
    18,826 Likes Received
    Lol, never mind the part where we’d be getting better?

cowboyec likes this.
  19. CalPolyTechnique

13,073 Messages
    18,826 Likes Received
    Lol, they’d be trading their 30 year old TE to allow their 24 year old stud (Goedert) in the wings take over.

You do realize had the Eagles traded for Cooper in 18 they’d be in the EXACT situation the Cowboys are in now, lol?

20. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

23,933 Messages
    41,071 Likes Received
    Interesting thought. I think it might make them a bit better than it would make the Cowboys, but this is a very interesting thought.

FTWayne likes this.