Trade up or Trade Back

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Looking at different trading situations, would you trade up for an impact starter or trade back for two lesser prospects. Personally, I would be hate to give up our 2nd rd selection, but would be ok giving up the 3rd for the right player. This means, more of a small trade up, 49ers for example using the old trade chart would be our 3rd and 5th Comp, for Kinlaw that would make some sense. A example of moving back, Seattle would give us the last pick in rd 2 to move up from 27. That could be the sweet spot of a 2nd tier CB or perhaps either Safety.

tm1119

Reaction score
I’m usually not the biggest fan of trading up, but this year it might not be the worst idea. I would utilize the fact that we are due for a 3rd and 4th round comp pick next year.

This years 3rd is worth 54 points and next years 3rd should be worth roughly a mid 4th, so 20 points. Pick 17 is worth 296. 296 + 54 + 20= 370. The Browns #10 pick = 369.

Obviously doesn’t mean the Browns would do it, but I would definitely give up 2 3rds to secure 1 of Simmons, Brown or Okudah if they were to fall a little. Would give up 2 4ths to move up for Kinlaw or Henderson in the 13-15 range

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Outside of Chase Young - which is pretty much impossible - there's not a single player I'd trade up for. I'd consider moving up 2-3 spots for Kinlaw, but that's about it.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Outside of Young, Okudah and Simmons I’m not trading up.

I’d prefer to trade down a few slots and pick up an extra 3rd bc I think there’s a good chance that BPA will be an OT when we’re on the board.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if a couple of players they like and did not expect to drop or feel will be taken before they pick...they might trade up to say 14.

I say this because I could see atlanta or Denver taking a CB like Henderson or atlanta possibly taking Kinlaw.

Normally if a team wants to trade up bad enough, they can make it happen.

The problem with us trading down this year is we have to have someone sitting on the board that another team feels strong enough to trade up and get.

I think that the only way that it would happen and we got did not get robbed in the deal is if Herbert or Love fall to our spot and a team wants to trade up to get one.

If one of those two do not fall I don't think a team will be willing to trade up to our spot and give us a good enough value for us to trade down.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think if a couple of players they like and did not expect to drop or feel will be taken before they pick...they might trade up to say 14.

I say this because I could see atlanta or Denver taking a CB like Henderson or atlanta possibly taking Kinlaw.

Normally if a team wants to trade up bad enough, they can make it happen.

The problem with us trading down this year is we have to have someone sitting on the board that another team feels strong enough to trade up and get.

I think that the only way that it would happen and we got did not get robbed in the deal is if Herbert or Love fall to our spot and a team wants to trade up to get one.

If one of those two do not fall I don't think a team will be willing to trade up to our spot and give us a good enough value for us to trade down.

QB always are attractive trading chips, I would watch Tackle this year, there is a big drop-off after the top 4, Miami is sitting right behind us and they just traded away Tunsil.

UncleOscar

Reaction score
QB always are attractive trading chips, I would watch Tackle this year, there is a big drop-off after the top 4, Miami is sitting right behind us and they just traded away Tunsil.

If a QB is a available at 17, and a QB desperate team like NE calls, I hope we dont follow the chart, but ask for more. QB is different than a team wanting to trade up for say a WR or DB. Every year we see teams giving up the farm to move up into the top 10 to draft a QB. So, if a QB needy team isn't willing to give up more than the chart says, then pass on the trade down.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm hoping Love falls to us and the phone starts ringing from multiple teams. Could get a sweet trade down.

Another thought. Would love to make a deal with Kansas City. Trade our 1st and 4th for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Works out perfectly on the trade chart. That gives the Cowboys 5 picks in the top 100. Oh yeah!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think the trade up should be in the 2nd round.
I don't mind this, depending on who is there, especially if you can hold 51 (probably unlikely). Something like pick 45 for this year's 3+4 and next year's 3, I'd be all over.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'm hoping Love falls to us and the phone starts ringing from multiple teams. Could get a sweet trade down.

Would love to make a deal with Kansas City. Trade our 1st and 4th for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Works out perfectly on the trade chart. That gives the Cowboys 5 picks in the top 100. Oh yeah!
Well yea, but KC isn't trading up for Love lol. Like the value there though.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think we are going to see a lot of value pick in the late 2nd and 3rd rounds. These are no impact players or maybe not starters right away. But in terms of value, I think these are the rounds where stockpiling picks will be good for the team. Having said that, their #1 needs now are CB, DE, and Slot receiver. Maybe C too, although McGovern maybe be as good as any center in this draft.

I don;t think the Cowboys can get one of the better corners where they are in round 2. But trading down a few spots and picking up another 3rd or late 2nd would allow them to get a CB and a safety while still having a pick for a WR.

Hardline

Reaction score

Would love to make a deal with Kansas City. Trade our 1st and 4th for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Works out perfectly on the trade chart. That gives the Cowboys 5 picks in the top 100. Oh yeah!
Why would KC want Love?

morasp

Reaction score

Another thought. Would love to make a deal with Kansas City. Trade our 1st and 4th for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Works out perfectly on the trade chart. That gives the Cowboys 5 picks in the top 100. Oh yeah!
Patriots would be perfect in that scenario. The extra picks would really help us flesh out the roster.