Trading Jerry torpedoed the Cowboys' 2004 Draft in 1st round

Hardline

Reaction score
If Jerry Jones had hoped to be known as a great judge of football talent he forever killed that hope on April 24, 2004, in New York City.

The Cowboys held the 22nd pick in the opening round of the 2004 NFL Draft held at Madison Square Garden. Apparently dissatisfied with what he saw, Jones traded the pick to Buffalo.

In return, Dallas got the Bills' second-round pick (43rd overall), their fifth-rounder (114th), and the Bills' first-round pick in 2005 (20th).

That 2005 pick would become defensive end Marcus Spears.

As it turned out, he was the best player Dallas got out of the deal.

https://insidethestar.com/trading-j...C3FE-qOsUW_R9IkPSwOhREKy6QWIqa1mgaxfH1H1DWyfs

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
If Jerry Jones had hoped to be known as a great judge of football talent he forever killed that hope on April 24, 2004, in New York City.

The Cowboys held the 22nd pick in the opening round of the 2004 NFL Draft held at Madison Square Garden. Apparently dissatisfied with what he saw, Jones traded the pick to Buffalo.

In return, Dallas got the Bills' second-round pick (43rd overall), their fifth-rounder (114th), and the Bills' first-round pick in 2005 (20th).

That 2005 pick would become defensive end Marcus Spears.

As it turned out, he was the best player Dallas got out of the deal.

https://insidethestar.com/trading-jerry-torpedoed-the-cowboys-2004-draft-in-1st-round/?feed_id=6264&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=rpaolinelli&utm_campaign=FS Poster&fbclid=IwAR1wW9tmV0JzFSC3FE-qOsUW_R9IkPSwOhREKy6QWIqa1mgaxfH1H1DWyfs
Coulda had Arod…..imagine….

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Passing up on RB Stephan Jackson was almost as bad as passing up on Randy Moss.
Man that pick made way too much sense at the time. I was screaming for it. However, Julius Jones went on to contribute more in year 1 and in following seasons him and Marion Barber made for a good 1-2 tandem. So can't same I'm quite as upset about it today.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Right after he stepped all over the scouts and grabbed Quincy Carter because he thought he was the next Donovan McNabb?

Like we really needed the next Donovan McNabb. Tony Romo saved him from being further exposed for another decade.
I can’t imagine they saw film and thought of McNabb. I can sees maybe a poor mans Vick….

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Right after he stepped all over the scouts and grabbed Quincy Carter because he thought he was the next Donovan McNabb?

Like we really needed the next Donovan McNabb. Tony Romo saved him from being further exposed for another decade.
And that was Bill Parcells. JJ didnt know about Romo until the guy showed he can play.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
The one that also hurt us, and I can’t remember the exact details… We had the Cleveland Browns pick, and they won a load of games they were expected to lose and instead of having a top 6 pick that looked likely, we ended up with one in the 20’s.

rags747

Reaction score
Having the pick that was used on Spears resulted in Demarcus Ware.

If we only had the one 1st rounder, we would have just got Spears.
Untrue statement. Parcells was overruled, he wanted Spears first but that was not going to happen. Ware would have been the pick as all of the scouts knew that he was a generational player while Spears was not.

kskboys

Reaction score
To be fair, and darn everyone here for making me defend Jerry, this was a Parcells-led draft.
Tuna: "I really didn't see any difference in the top RBs in this class."

Jackson was not some consensus blue chip prospect. He went 24th overall.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I remember that one. Fans were pissed. Still looking for the #22 replacement and thought he had dropped in their laps. Definitely made 2005 though a lively draft and one of our best ever. No way that 3-4 transformation happens without those picks.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Untrue statement. Parcells was overruled, he wanted Spears first but that was not going to happen. Ware would have been the pick as all of the scouts knew that he was a generational player while Spears was not.
He should have also overruled Parcells on trading down not picking up Stephen Jackson, and picking Barbie Carpenter. I sometimes think Parcells was a Giants plant to sink the Cowboys. LOL. The only good was Romo and Ware.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Would he have been overruled if they didn't think there was a chance they could get both players?
The story I've always heard was that they went Ware because they knew he'd be gone if they waited, but there was a chance they could get both if they took him first.

khiladi

Reaction score

And that was a Sean Payton pick anyways...