Trading Partners

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I was looking at the draft order to see what teams we may be interested in trading down with. There are 14 teams in the 1st behind us that would be possibilities.

But I was thinking there is a possibility we could trade out of the 1st round altogether with one of the 17 teams in front of us for a (preferably a high) second round pick and additional picks in this year and even next years draft.

1. Who are some of the teams that may be interested in 2 first round picks and cap space to sign them?

2.How far are we willing to move down from 18th pick and risk not getting an impact player? There is alot of value in the middle rounds but I feel like we "need" the impact OLB and maybe OL. The possibility of adding an additional 2 and 3 or any combination of value for the 18th pick is tempting.

Any thoughts??

AmericasTeam

Reaction score
A interesting possibility would be the Texans, who have the 1st pick in the 2nd Round and the 1st and 2nd pick in the 3rd Round. I do not know how the pick value equates, but after drafting Bush would they be willing to move back into the 1st Round to get, Justice, Winston, or McNiel?

Maxmadden

Reaction score
The Texans second pick would almost be as good as a first. But they also have alot of holes to fill and they're sitting in pretty good postion to fill those with multiple high picks but on the other hand they could afford to trade some of them if they fell in love with somebody in the middle of the 1st.
I guess we won't really know until someone starts sliding or it gets closer to the 18th pick.

They do have some ammunition.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think New England might be a trade possibility. They need a receiver and may be willing to trade up to get one.

They have multiple picks in the fourth and sixth rounds and the value to move from #18 to #21 would be about a 4th and 6th, getting the Cowboys back into Round 4.

I think unless a marquee player falls to #18, the Cowboys will look to move down.

ghst187

Reaction score
I'm hoping there isn't a run on LB's in the first, that's the only scenario that would hurt us. I really think we're looking at the big 3 LBs in the first, Lawson, Carpenter, and Wimbley. If all are available at 18, I would guess we trade down. But there's no way Lawson lasts much past 18 if we do trade down. I get the impression that our staff would be ecstatic with a trade down and Wimbley.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I'm hoping there isn't a run on LB's in the first, that's the only scenario that would hurt us. I really think we're looking at the big 3 LBs in the first, Lawson, Carpenter, and Wimbley. If all are available at 18, I would guess we trade down. But there's no way Lawson lasts much past 18 if we do trade down. I get the impression that our staff would be ecstatic with a trade down and Wimbley.

I get the feeling that if we traded out of the 1st even down to a high second that those 3 will be gone. It may be possible they have their eye on someone else. I'm guessing that if we can't get a suitable trade partner at 18 that they will go ahead and take Carpenter even if Lawson is still on the board. They need someone who can fill the position NOW, Lawson has great upside and potential but may struggle in the beginning, just depends on how patient they are willing to be. They still have Singleton to ease the transition.

b_virtue

Reaction score
If all 3 big LBs are still avalible at 18, I think we should trade down to late 20's maybe early 2nd round. We would be able to get one of them and get a 3rd round pick. Then we trade our 3rd pick for Harington. Harington can still be good. He needs a mentor like Drew to get him on track.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if we were to trade out of the 1st round if the Texans want 2 number 1's, we give them our 18th, and they give us their 2nd and 3rd, since they already have 2 early thirds, it's like losing out on just a second, but they gain another 1st. They would definitely go for that.

Then we could package Romo and our 49th pick in the second, and convince Sean Payton to take Romo and the 2, since he's in love with Romo, and we get their early 2nd and a 4th or 5th.

Next, we should trade Ellis straight up for a third to Denver since they have no passrush.

This would give us 5 1st day picks.
2nd - 33
2nd - 34
3rd - 65
3rd - 80
3rd - 93

Out of these players here, someone's going to fall.
Greenway/Carpenter/Lawson/Wimbley/Jason Allen/Donte Whitner/MJ Gilles/Santonio Holmes/Sinorice Moss/Marcus McNeill/KO Simpson...

Any of these players COULD slip to the second, and when they do, we shall gobble them up.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Maxmadden said:
I was looking at the draft order to see what teams we may be interested in trading down with. There are 14 teams in the 1st behind us that would be possibilities.

But I was thinking there is a possibility we could trade out of the 1st round altogether with one of the 17 teams in front of us for a (preferably a high) second round pick and additional picks in this year and even next years draft.

1. Who are some of the teams that may be interested in 2 first round picks and cap space to sign them?

2.How far are we willing to move down from 18th pick and risk not getting an impact player? There is alot of value in the middle rounds but I feel like we "need" the impact OLB and maybe OL. The possibility of adding an additional 2 and 3 or any combination of value for the 18th pick is tempting.

Any thoughts??
I think a trade down senario could happen.
Looking at this draft, beginning at the middle of the first round, I don't see that much of a difference in talent from the middile of the 1st to 2nd and early third rounders.
This draft is deep at a couple of positions that we are in need of...
Safety
OLB
With us playing the 3-4 defense, OLB's are a bigger priority now.
If Lawson is gone at 18 then I think that trading down is a stronger possibility for us.
What's the cutoff point at 18 for us?
What I mean is what players do we focus on and say "If these players are gone it's in our best interest to trade down"?
Realistically I think Lawson is one of those players.
Justice may be another.
But trading down is easier said than done.
It takes two to tango and we have to have a team willing to trade up with us and make it worth our while.
Any ideas of the list of players that Dallas would be hesitant to trade down because they are still available?
Throw Vince Young,Ngata and Huff out of the equasion.(Those guys should be gone before the 18th pick)
I got two...Manny Lawson and Winston Justice.
Any others?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure if Wimbley, Carpenter and Lawson are all still available at #18, that the Cowboys wouldn't still trade down a few spots.

I think the others that you mentioned are the only players who would make the Cowboys reconsider trading down - especially Justice.