Trading up for Mcfadden would be foolish

Reaction score
I understand why Jerry Jones covets Darren McFadden so badly. The running back from Arkansas is very special indeed. However, JJ needs to control any & all urges to try to trade up and draft him.

This has become a need league, and our needs lie elsewhere.
We had the #3 Offense & #9 Defense in the NFL last year.
It wasn't our offense that blew the game against the Giants in the playoffs!
With twenty-some seconds left in the first half, the Giants marched down the field & scored a touchdown on a very average secondary. This was just after our offense took like ten minutes off the clock & scored a TD of their own. This had to be totally demoralizing to our offensive players.

Neither of our defenses of the 90s, nor of the 70s ever would have let that drive happen. Why? Two reasons. They both had great pass rushes. They both had great secondaries. Those defenses licked their chops at the chance to just pin their ears back & rush the QB. Even though our defense improved in the area of QB sacks, it was very average when the QB was free to set up and throw without pressure.

So, in order to solve our problem, and get to the Super Bowl this year, we should give up at least both of our first round picks, maybe more, for a RB??!! Wow, that is so original! I never would have thought to go that route. I guess because it's just plain STUPID!!!!

We need at least two more CBs, in addition to any proposed trade for Adam Jones. We also need a SS who can cover, & a NT with the size to command double teams, which will allow Jay Ratliff to move to DE and focus on rushing the passer. Just look at how the Giants whupped our a**, and every other team they faced in the playoffs, to grab the Lombardi Trophy. Their DEFENSE was all over the QBs, and even when the QBs did have time to throw, their receivers were covered because NY had 3-4 excellent CBs & Safeties shadowing their every move.

Besides, we already have a Pro-Bowl running back who just needs a compliment back to rest him & provide a different look to the opposition. Several of these types of RBs will be available at the bottom of the 1st & all through the 2nd rd.

Wade Phillips has brought in an aggressive style of defense that will make us successful, but only if we have the players that can do the job. We are still a few playmakers short of making this defense dominant. We either focus on bringing those players in, or we fail. It's that simple.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
we had the #3 offense that played like crap in our only playoff game last season. Our #9 Defense gave up a game tying td in 40 seconds right before the half. it's not about ranking.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you at all. This is all very logical however we only scored 17 points in that loss to the Giants. As good as Barber is, he doesn't strike fear in defenses and command 8 in the box. Imagine the dilemma a guy like McFadden would create for defenses. McFadden accomplished what he did in arguably the toughest, fastest, most athletic conference in college football without a passing game.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Mcfadden is not going to be a Cowboy. I think that is a given, unless The Raiders or Jets have mental problems We'll Be drafting Someone else and hopfully trading for RW.

Sonny Koufax

Reaction score
I like Marion Barber, but I doubt he ever plays in another Pro Bowl. Although, with the fan vote copunting a third, he could end up like Roy and make it.

Wimbo

Reaction score
That is impossible to determine until 3-4 years down the road. What if McFadden turns out to be the next Walter Payton? Would it be a smart move then? Sure it would. And if he turns out to be the next Ki-Jana Carter, then it will be a dumb move. Somewhere in between those two is the break even point. We will not know for sure until a few years from now.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It Don't Make No Nevermind - We're Not Trading Up For Him.....

End Of Story.

Thank You For Your Time....

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
Either way, today we are going to get better. I certainly will not cry if we do draft Dmac, or if we don't. We are looking at a win win. But to completely rule it out is premature.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
the defense didnt lose either of the two playoff games...poor offense did, and last yr the offense down the stretch was just terrible

simply put with Owens hurt and Romo hand not 100%, we couldnt score enough...we dont have any players other than Owens who can stretch the field...no defense was worried about our RB's going the distance...Barber had a great 1st half and disappeared the 2nd half. We all love him, but he's as big a question mark as a high draft pick really because nobody knows how he will do if he has to carry a bigger load, he's simply never done it. And with his violent, contact oriented style its unlikely he'd be able to play at a high level over 16 games plus a postseason if his work-load increases

Jones has owned this team since 1989...we've used our 1st rd pick on an offensive player just 4 times...Aikman, Smith, Harper and LaFleur..we've drafted a few guys in the 2nd rd, like JuJo, Carter, Kevin Williams, Sherman Williams, Alex Wright...only JuJo was really worth that pick, the others ended up being wastes..we need an influx of youth and speed on offense, we have plenty of talent on defense, and two cornerstone players are coming up for contract extensions (Ware, Newman) and we have to do something about Canty and perhaps Ken Hamlin as well

David

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2053405 said:
the defense didnt lose either of the two playoff games...poor offense did, and last yr the offense down the stretch was just terrible

simply put with Owens hurt and Romo hand not 100%, we couldnt score enough...we dont have any players other than Owens who can stretch the field...no defense was worried about our RB's going the distance...Barber had a great 1st half and disappeared the 2nd half. We all love him, but he's as big a question mark as a high draft pick really because nobody knows how he will do if he has to carry a bigger load, he's simply never done it. And with his violent, contact oriented style its unlikely he'd be able to play at a high level over 16 games plus a postseason if his work-load increases

Jones has owned this team since 1989...we've used our 1st rd pick on an offensive player just 4 times...Aikman, Smith, Harper and LaFleur..we've drafted a few guys in the 2nd rd, like JuJo, Carter, Kevin Williams, Sherman Williams, Alex Wright...only JuJo was really worth that pick, the others ended up being wastes..we need an influx of youth and speed on offense, we have plenty of talent on defense, and two cornerstone players are coming up for contract extensions (Ware, Newman) and we have to do something about Canty and perhaps Ken Hamlin as well

David

After Dmac gets picked by the Raiders, will you change your sig within the hour?

;)

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
If McFadden slips pass the Jet I could see the cowboys trying to move up. I'm just not sure if Oak/Jets pass on him though. Go Cowboys!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Sarge;2053410 said:
After Dmac gets picked by the Raiders, will you change your sig within the hour?

;)

alas, the dream will be dead

new sig will have to wait till tonight though

David

DBoys

Reaction score
I don't think we need to trade up to get a good RB. We do however need a good WR and the crop this year is not very good.

I think it is more important to get RW than DMAC. I also think it is critical to get a 1st/2nd round CB.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2053418 said:
alas, the dream will be dead

new sig will have to wait till tonight though

David

Just messin'................I think you should have a "Sarge told me so" sig for at least a week..................... ;)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Sarge;2053424 said:
Just messin'................I think you should have a "Sarge told me so" sig for at least a week..................... ;)

lol

David

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
DBoys;2053421 said:
I don't think we need to trade up to get a good RB. We do however need a good WR and the crop this year is not very good.

I think it is more important to get RW than DMAC. I also think it is critical to get a 1st/2nd round CB.

How much is Detroit asking for RW?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Walker;2053430 said:
How much is Detroit asking for RW?

If only we knew.............................

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2053405 said:

David
that's impossible cause we were the #3 ranked offense. I mean did you not see the way we turned it up in December?:D