Recap: Training Camp Opening Press conference @ 2pm CDT

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He's just too small to be an every down thumper. He will have to do the role playing bit his whole career because he won't hold up to continuously pounding.
I think, if given an extended opportunity, he could flourish in the right system especially in a West Coast short passing game offense.

There are plenty of smaller players that are special but cannot take a big workload.

He is just not special and I fail to understand why they keep insisting he is.

When I saw him tear off a long run in preseason vs. Arizona nd then end up fumbling the football after he tripped over his own feet like a cartoon character, it was pretty easy to realize he was a joke.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not sure if Garrett was clear enough. Is he a football coach of a football team? I know he likes his football team as compared to other football teams. Lets get ready to run the football as opposed to the ball.

Drives me crazy on how many times he says football :banghead:

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Not sure if Garrett was clear enough. Is he a football coach of a football team? I know he likes his football team as compared to other football teams. Lets get ready to run the football as opposed to the ball.

Drives me crazy on how many times he says football :banghead:

I like it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's just too small to be an every down thumper. He will have to do the role playing bit his whole career because he won't hold up to continuously pounding.
I think, if given an extended opportunity, he could flourish in the right system especially in a West Coast short passing game offense.

He needs to make his presence felt somewhere.

Otherwise get rid of the idea that you need some kind of specialty back on your roster and just acquire another thumper type.

Alexander

Reaction score
You know it is scary, but Adrian Murrell accomplished more in a Cowboy uniform in one year than Dunbar ever has.

Alexander

Reaction score
He needs to make his presence felt somewhere.

Otherwise get rid of the idea that you need some kind of specialty back on your roster and just acquire another thumper type.

He is a shiny object that nobody can figure out how to use.

So we have two things, one of which must be true.

An incompetent staff how to use a talented player. Or an UDFA with some interesting traits that simply is not good enough to trust more.

Plumfool

Reaction score

An incompetent staff how to use a talented player. Or an UDFA with some interesting traits that simply is not good enough to trust more.

Perhaps in a different offense Dunbar would have value.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There's a limit to how many footballs you have on any given play. He's been a guy in his tenure here capable of making plays in space in the running game. But there have been guys like Beasley and Harris here to compete with on that front. And guys in the running game, like Murray last year, that weren't coming off the field. That's not necessarily a knock on Dunbar, other than that he wasn't able to beat out other decent offensive players for snaps. Given his size and his limitations in STs, that's not all that surprising.

Dunbar's looked good to me whenever he's gotten the football. Whether it's been in preseason or in his very limited game action. You've got to keep in in context, but for a RB3, he's a decent player. They've been talking for years about how they want to get him the ball more. I think we'll probably finally see it this season.

Alexander

Reaction score

He went undrafted for a reason. He had things to work on. And there are plenty of players from the same circumstance.

It is not about the offense, it is about the player, after three years immersed in the same system, getting it.

Those players you see that rise from undrafted to star status do the little things.

They practice harder. They do the extra film study. And when they get opportunities, they don't make mistakes.

Dunbar has not. He has fumbled at a high rate to his touches and has yet to show he is worth the praise.

Give me a gamer over a player that can dazzle me in practice.

The fact that the staff can only point to his "potential" only confirms my own observations in games that count.

He is a dime a dozen specialty RB.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Over the top nonsense. Reminds me of the "Kevin Ogletree runs routes as good as Terry Glenn" days.

Then again, Garrett can't evaluate RBs. He preferred Felix Jones over everyone.

So did Parcells. And Kevin Jones was his second in line.

Plumfool

Reaction score
He went undrafted for a reason. He had things to work on. And there are plenty of players from the same circumstance.

It is not about the offense, it is about the player, after three years immersed in the same system, getting it.

Those players you see that rise from undrafted to star status do the little things.

They practice harder. They do the extra film study. And when they get opportunities, they don't make mistakes.

Dunbar has not. He has fumbled at a high rate to his touches and has yet to show he is worth the praise.

Give me a gamer over a player that can dazzle me in practice.

The fact that the staff can only point to his "potential" only confirms my own observations in games that count.

He is a dime a dozen specialty RB.

Made same point. Just more succinctly.

Garrettop

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the united front sitting at that table? 1 message coming from all 3 guys. Like others have mentioned, we fortunately heard much less from Jerry this year, and Stephen's no-nonsense, no-ism-laced speech is a refreshing change from Jerry. Best press conference going back as far as I can remember.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just ended on ESPN.

Said the motto this year is "Ground Zero"

Not sure "Ground Zero" is a good motto considering we're trying to replace the league's leading rusher with Randle and McFadden. Appropriate maybe, but not good.

Aven8

Reaction score

Don't get Catch going on this offense, this thread will be 20 pages in no time!! Lol

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

If this was Flag Football, Dunbar would be a 1st rounder.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the Dunbar topic, here's Sturm's recent article on how we have used him, for anybody who missed it. I think he's pretty much right on on this one.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/2015/07/sturm-a-breakdown-of-the-weapon-lance-dunbar.html/

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

I'm not a Dunbar fan but those are not the only two possibilities. Another possibility is that we're wrong.