Training Camp will be very interesting this year.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Wade Phillips will have a lot of decisions to make with this line up.
I will be very interested to see how Phillips views this roster compared to Parcells. When looking at this I see several battles that are in play, and roster decisions throughout.

QB - Romo is the starter, nothing should happen here.

RB- This could be very interesting. Wade loves to run the football. Will Wade see things the same as Parcells did with Barber and Jones? I am not so sure. Yes I think they will split carries, but who starts, and who gets the majority?

WR - Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, Austin, Stanback, Rector
We know the top 3 are set, but what happens from there? How many can we keep with how Wade lines up the roster? Maybe 2 get cut. That would be a very interesting decision.

O-Line - Colombo, Davis, and Gurode all saw the money and should start, but the left side may be a different story. How will Wade look at Kosier? Yes he played pretty well last year, but I honestly would not be surprised if something happens here. Wade seems to like the mauler straight ahead one on one blockers. Could someone like Proctor or McQuistan prove to be more of what Wade wants, how far have they come? Adams is probably safe here, but obviously there will be a lot of attention paid to his future replacment, maybe next year.

TE - Nothing to see here

FB - this could be very interesting with Hoyte, Polite, Anderson, and Battle battling it out.

DE/DT - This will be very, very interesting in my mind. I think we have all learned now Wade has a much different 3-4 than Parcells. The thing that intrigues me here is both Hatcher and Ratliff fit his penetrating scheme, maybe more than Canty and Spears, While Spears may even be an option inside along with Ferguson and Ratliff has been mentioned there as well. Most of this would be a big no no under Parcells, but this is a different thing now. What will Wade do with these pieces of Ferguson, Spears, Canty, Ratliff, and Hatcher? We may just be surprised.

LB - OH MY will this be interesting. Ware, Spencer, Carpenter, James, Akin, Burnett, Ellis. 7 possible starters in 4 spots, sure we will use them all, but who is considered the starters here, how much difference will there be than how Parcells utilized these players, I think a world of difference. Wade must feel like he has the keys to several luxury vehicles and has to figure out which ones to drive.

FS - Hamlin should start, but could Watkins have made a leap fron last year to this year, I sure hope so? Do we finally say good bye to Davis?

SS - Well we will probably not find out anything about Roy during training camp, but once the season starts how Wade uses Roy will be very interesting, I also expect this will be much different than Parcells.

CB - Newman and Henry will start, not much here other than watching Brown to see if he can take a spot.

FG- Actually this should be very interesting. Could we have actually drafted a kicker that can make the roster? There will be a battle here.

KR/PR - Can Stanback give us something special here? I love this pick and I am very excited to see how this works out.

I really feel this training camp is going to be awesome, I think it will have a much different feel than the previous camps under Parcells and I think it will be very imformative with some possible twists many may not be expecting.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the #3 TE spot is up for grabs (as exciting as that may or may not be)

And I think that Battle is in contention for the #3 RB spot, not a fullback position.

I think fullback will be a 2 man rotation of Anderson and either Polite or Hoyte

Champsheart

Reaction score
stasheroo;1488136 said:
I think the #3 TE spot is up for grabs (as exciting as that may or may not be)

And I think that Battle is in contention for the #3 RB spot, not a fullback position.

I think fullback will be a 2 man rotation of Anderson and either Polite or Hoyte

With numbers at LB, WR I do not think there is any way we can keep 2 FB's, and even possibly 2 kickers.

You could be right about Battle, that would be interesting as well.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Keith Davis will always have a place on this team for his special teams contribution, that is as long as he still produces in that capacity.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Like Jerry said, when it's night and day between your starter and your back up, you've got problems. When you can get competition it raises everyone's play.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if Crayton isn't traded during camp (after we get a good look at Hurd and Stanback) to get some value out of him before he hits FA. Not saying it's probable, just that I wouldn't be shocked.

Reaction score
Two things to watch for:

1. Stanbach becoming involved in the PR game and different offensive packages...

2. Deon Anderson winning the starting FB position. From all accounts this kid is a punishing blocker and has soft hands to catch a few passes out of the backfield... Will be interesting to watch in training camp.

Angus

Reaction score
Except for Battle, you gave pretty short shrift to the UDFA players. Several of them might surprise, including the basketball-playing tight end from Houston.

:)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1488156 said:
Like Jerry said, when it's night and day between your starter and your back up, you've got problems. When you can get competition it raises everyone's play.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if Crayton isn't traded during camp (after we get a good look at Hurd and Stanback) to get some value out of him before he hits FA. Not saying it's probable, just that I wouldn't be shocked.

Good point about Crayton, it wouldn't shock me either. I've seen reports that the team had received some offers for him near draft time.

And if they feel they have young players under longer-term deals, they may trade Crayton before he hits free agency.

I've felt that Rector was a good player who just needed more of a chance.

sago1

Reaction score
That TE sure sounds interesting and he's a big guy.

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
Champsheart;1488124 said:
Wade Phillips will have a lot of decisions to make with this line up.
I will be very interested to see how Phillips views this roster compared to Parcells. When looking at this I see several battles that are in play, and roster decisions throughout.

QB - Romo is the starter, nothing should happen here.
I'll be watching to see if either of the kids (Moore, Baker) get a shot at the #2 job. Also, I'd like to see Stanback log a little practice under center. I'm not saying he'll compete for a job at QB, but he did complete about 54% of his passes at UW the last 2 years, so it wouldn't be out of question for him to actually throw the ball now and then.

RB- This could be very interesting. Wade loves to run the football. Will Wade see things the same as Parcells did with Barber and Jones? I am not so sure. Yes I think they will split carries, but who starts, and who gets the majority?
I'd probably switch MBIII and Jones as far as who's the starter, and who's the 3rd down guy. Jones made some brilliant catches last year, and should be able to exploit defenses in the pattern. MBIII should be more effective than Jones was on 1st and 2nd down, and Jones should be a better change-up once the defense wears down a little bit, and gets used to playing at MBIII's speed.

I'm also looking foward to seeing TT back from injury, and if this Battle kid is any good. We may actually have a good player not make the roster, which hasn't happed at RB since Timmy Newsome beat out James Jones in 1982.

WR - Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, Austin, Stanback, Rector
We know the top 3 are set, but what happens from there? How many can we keep with how Wade lines up the roster? Maybe 2 get cut. That would be a very interesting decision.
One of these guys will probably get hurt, Hurd and Austin will push Crayton for PT, Stanback and Rector have to make an impact somewhere else to make the team. This will be as interesting as it always is, but I honestly thought we'd be all geeked to see what a Jason Hill or a Jacoby Jones could do. As soon as I'm over that let-down, I'll pay more attention to the WR corps.

O-Line - Colombo, Davis, and Gurode all saw the money and should start, but the left side may be a different story. How will Wade look at Kosier? Yes he played pretty well last year, but I honestly would not be surprised if something happens here. Wade seems to like the mauler straight ahead one on one blockers. Could someone like Proctor or McQuistan prove to be more of what Wade wants, how far have they come? Adams is probably safe here, but obviously there will be a lot of attention paid to his future replacment, maybe next year.
Good analysis. It seems like we finally have some competition along the OL. The last couple years, we were looking for 5 guys who could start, and having a hard time finding them. I think we know what the starting 5 will be, but if one of the young guys proves he can start, Kosier or Adams could be benched, or it could cause a reshuffling. Colombo to the left, Davis to RT, etc. Either way, this unit needed an upgrade and got it. Good job, Jerry.

TE - Nothing to see here
I disagree. Every time I look at Fasano, I think, "We could have taken Marcus McNiel." That guy has to step up big time this year. Very little competition behind him, though. Maybe they're not done with this position.

FB - this could be very interesting with Hoyte, Polite, Anderson, and Battle battling it out.
I'll be crossing my fingers, hoping Anderson is better than any of these guys. And I count Battle as an RB. If we can't find a 3rd TE who's worth a crap, maybe an extra RB makes it.

DE/DT - This will be very, very interesting in my mind. I think we have all learned now Wade has a much different 3-4 than Parcells. The thing that intrigues me here is both Hatcher and Ratliff fit his penetrating scheme, maybe more than Canty and Spears, While Spears may even be an option inside along with Ferguson and Ratliff has been mentioned there as well. Most of this would be a big no no under Parcells, but this is a different thing now. What will Wade do with these pieces of Ferguson, Spears, Canty, Ratliff, and Hatcher? We may just be surprised.
Yep. Can't wait to see who the playmakers are when the staff actually asks these guys to make plays.

LB - OH MY will this be interesting. Ware, Spencer, Carpenter, James, Akin, Burnett, Ellis. 7 possible starters in 4 spots, sure we will use them all, but who is considered the starters here, how much difference will there be than how Parcells utilized these players, I think a world of difference. Wade must feel like he has the keys to several luxury vehicles and has to figure out which ones to drive.
I could be wrong, but I think Burnett might be the kind of guy Wade likes in the middle. Heady and quick. I still think Bobby is an OLB. Maybe he'll transition, maybe he won't. But I've still got him ahead of Spencer on my depth chart. And if he plays like he did against Seattle, he won't be giving that spot up anytime soon. Still, I can't wait to see Spencer and Ware with their hand on the ground outside the tackles. That's going to be special.

FS - Hamlin should start, but could Watkins have made a leap fron last year to this year, I sure hope so? Do we finally say good bye to Davis?
Davis could still make the team as a special teams guy, but it gets harder and harder to justify your salary as your years of service go up. And I think he's proved that he's a special teamer and a marginal backup SS. I'm looking forward to seeing the competition at FS, and Abram Elam.

SS - Well we will probably not find out anything about Roy during training camp, but once the season starts how Wade uses Roy will be very interesting, I also expect this will be much different than Parcells.
Every year we hear a bunch of talk about how Roy is going to be used to take advantage of his skill in the box, and it seems like every year, we don't see it. Hopefully, with the best class of FS possibilities we've had since Woodson went down, and the departure of Zimmer, we'll really see a new role for Roy.

CB - Newman and Henry will start, not much here other than watching Brown to see if he can take a spot.
I sure hope so. I sure as heck want an upgrade to Reeves and Jones back there. Is A. Glenn even going to play this year? He sure didn't play much last year.

FG- Actually this should be very interesting. Could we have actually drafted a kicker that can make the roster? There will be a battle here.
I'm just watching Folk to see if he's better than Crosby.

KR/PR - Can Stanback give us something special here? I love this pick and I am very excited to see how this works out.

I really feel this training camp is going to be awesome, I think it will have a much different feel than the previous camps under Parcells and I think it will be very imformative with some possible twists many may not be expecting.

Nice post, and I appreciate the effort, but was TC boring last year? Or the year before? Or 5 years ago? I get excited every year. And with almost no turnover (so far) in the starting 22, I actually think this will be a fairly predictable summer for the 'Boys. The biggest change is going to be in the coaching, but that's harder to follow week to week. I'm gonna have fun trying, though!

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
The thing about our roster, is that we have so many guys that can play a mulitude of positions, that we dont have to carry that many people

Ware, spencer and ellis, both can play OLB and DE. Carpenter can play all 3 lb positions. Hatcher, and Ratiliff can play DE and DT. then at WR we have two that can play QB. (look out for Stanback being the holder, trick plays anyone?) Hamilin can play both the FS and SS. and thats not even talking about the OL

So i really think that this versitilty on our roster, allows us to carry people in places we probably wouldnt have been able to before, because of the players ability to play in so many differnt positions.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ONE thing to think about: Garret will be running the offense. Wade is primarily a D guy, and besides: how much do you tinker with an offense that scored 425 pts?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I can see Davis being moved to SS as our # 2, he'd probably excel there in Wades scheme..

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
i'm just excited about finally GOING to training camp!

hell yea san antonio!!!

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
phillycowboyslover;1488561 said:
i'm just excited about finally GOING to training camp!

hell yea san antonio!!!

lucky bastid..:eek::

meanwhile, I am relegated to going to the Foreskins, ummm, I mean Commanders training camp as I live in D.C. :puke: But I love football so much I can't stay away. To share details when you get back, and get two autographs; one for you and the other for me hah.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1488586 said:
lucky bastid..:eek::

meanwhile, I am relegated to going to the Foreskins, ummm, I mean Commanders training camp as I live in D.C. :puke: But I love football so much I can't stay away. To share details when you get back, and get two autographs; one for you and the other for me hah.

oh, there will be PLENTY of pictures. that is my promise to the CZ.

:D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Good post, Champsheart.

I agree, I think this camp will be even more interesting than usual. With a coach in place for a few years, you know not much will change other than the occasional FA or drafted player beating out a vet. But like you say, anytime you get a new coach, you never know how he'll see players differently than the last one did. Especially with one 34 coach taking over for one with a totally different style.

I especially can't wait to see how the LB situation shakes out.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
flashback;1488265 said:
Every time I look at Fasano, I think, "We could have taken Marcus McNiel."
Every time I look at McNiel I think "time bomb waiting to explode" with his highly suspect back.