Transition tag Amari and move up for Lamb or Jeudy

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Anyone think this is a possibility?

There have been some rumblings from the local media that some in Dallas aren't all in on Amari. They think he quits when the chips are down and that was one of his problems in Oakland.

He's also going to be terrible value.

The thing though is that Dak is a worse QB without him.

Anyways.. Could Dallas be looking to transition tag him and trade him to a team like New England for ammo to move up and select Jeudy or Lamb?

Who is a better fit for Dak? I would think Jeudy since he is such a great route runner and can create separation since Dak isn't good at tight window throws downfield.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
It sure looks like Cooper lacks that fire in the belly that guys like Michael Irvin had. I don't know if "quitting" is the right word for it, but he does seems to fade away in certain games, especially when he is up against top CBs. If the Cowboys believe Cooper doesn't have the competitive fire then why sign him at any price?

In any case, I like Lamb and Jeudy, and either could be a #1 for Dallas. But its going to cost them a lot to move up to get one of those guys and after giving up a 1st round pick for Cooper its going to be a lot to swallow.

I think Dallas will sign Cooper because if they were willing to give up a 1st round pick for him then they will commit a big contract to him as well.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Moving up will always garner a no from me. Besides the draft is loaded at WR. We can get a quality WR in the fourth of this draft.

I still believe the first three picks should be on defense, unless we lose Dak or Cooper outright.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It sure looks like Cooper lacks that fire in the belly that guys like Michael Irvin had. I don't know if "quitting" is the right word for it, but he does seems to fade away in certain games, especially when he is up against top CBs. If the Cowboys believe Cooper doesn't have the competitive fire then why sign him at any price?

In any case, I like Lamb and Jeudy, and either could be a #1 for Dallas. But its going to cost them a lot to move up to get one of those guys and after giving up a 1st round pick for Cooper its going to be a lot to swallow.

I think Dallas will sign Cooper because if they were willing to give up a 1st round pick for him then they will commit a big contract to him as well.

I don't worry so much about him fading away in games because that is a staple for #1 WR's in a Jason Garrett offense.

I also don't know about him lacking fire.. We criticize Dez for showing fire and criticize Cooper for not having enough.

I think you have to be in the building to really know what Cooper is about.

Just from the outside looking in I see a talented and explosive WR that makes our QB a much better QB.

The problem is we need defense and spending money on a WR really isn't a great path to a Superbowl.

If they could pull off a move that gets us some compensation like a 2nd round pick for Cooper and use that to move up for Lamb or Jeudy I think you do it for the salary cap relief alone.

tm1119

Reaction score
2 1st’s + more compensation for moving up all tied in the WR spot? Hell no, that is a terrible way to build a winning football team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
2 1st’s + more compensation for moving up all tied in the WR spot? Hell no, that is a terrible way to build a winning football team.

We don’t have to give up 2 1sts because nobody is going to give us a 1 for Amari anyways.

Getting out of Amari’s contract is the biggest prize when getting rid of him and receiving any compensation is a bonus..

You can negotiate a trade and get rid of him for a 2 but he needs to sign the tag I believe..

We already have enough ammo to move up and go get one of these guys. Amari just gives us more ammo.

So trading Amari, getting a 2 or 3, opening up cap space, and drafting Lamb or Jeudy is a big win going forward for this team..

I think you will start hearing talks about this in the near future because it makes a lot of sense.

I think a 1,2, and maybe a 5 should easily get it done.

tm1119

Reaction score
We don’t have to give up 2 1sts because nobody is going to give us a 1 for Amari anyways.

Getting out of Amari’s contract is the biggest prize when getting rid of him and receiving any compensation is a bonus..

You can negotiate a trade and get rid of him for a 2 but he needs to sign the tag I believe..

We already have enough ammo to move up and go get one of these guys. Amari just gives us more ammo.

So trading Amari, getting a 2 or 3, opening up cap space, and drafting Lamb or Jeudy is a big win going forward for this team..

I think you will start hearing talks about this in the near future because it makes a lot of sense.

I think a 1,2, and maybe a 5 should easily get it done.

I’m counting total picks invested into 1 (arguably not that important) position.

-We invested a 1st round pick into Cooper already.
-Lamb/Jeudy would be another 1st
-Whatever the compensation would be to move up ( probably a 2nd and we’d get a late 3rd at best for Cooper on the tag)
-Gallup was a 3rd

That’s a lot of investment to get to a final result of Lamb, Gallup, Cobb(?), and Jarwin as our receiving options. Again, hell no. It’s a terrible way to build a team and the net result is only an above average position group.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m counting total picks invested into 1 (arguably not that important) position.

-We invested a 1st round pick into Cooper already.
-Lamb/Jeudy would be another 1st
-Whatever the compensation would be to move up ( probably a 2nd and we’d get a late 3rd at best for Cooper on the tag)
-Gallup was a 3rd

That’s a lot of investment to get to a final result of Lamb, Gallup, Cobb(?), and Jarwin as our receiving options. Again, hell no. It’s a terrible way to build a team and the net result is only an above average position group.

I don’t think you can worry about the past.. The time to pay these guys is on the horizon and you have to decide if you want to pay them and give up that cap space..

If Dallas can get compensation for Cooper and dump that salary plus land either Lamb or Jeudy then that is a big win.

If getting rid of Amari gets me Jeudy/Lamb/ and Byron Jones I think that is the way to go.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't worry so much about him fading away in games because that is a staple for #1 WR's in a Jason Garrett offense.

I also don't know about him lacking fire.. We criticize Dez for showing fire and criticize Cooper for not having enough.

I think you have to be in the building to really know what Cooper is about.

Just from the outside looking in I see a talented and explosive WR that makes our QB a much better QB.

The problem is we need defense and spending money on a WR really isn't a great path to a Superbowl.

If they could pull off a move that gets us some compensation like a 2nd round pick for Cooper and use that to move up for Lamb or Jeudy I think you do it for the salary cap relief alone.

I never criticized Dez. I defended him. I think Dez got a bad rap about his side line actions. Ranting on the sideline because you want to win badly is okay in my book and a lot of great players do it. I think Dez got compared to TO and that wasn't fair. Dez was not like TO. Dez's biggest problem at the end of his years in Dallas was his body couldn't cash the checks his mouth was writing.

In any case, I agree using $19 million on defense instead of Cooper is a better way to go.

morasp

Reaction score
Use the non exclusive tag and if someone is stupid enough to give away two ones than move up and get Lamb or Jeudy they are the two that have the most potential to be a number one WR. If not we haven't committed to a long term deal and we can see what he does under the new coaching staff.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Use the non exclusive tag and if someone is stupid enough to give away two ones than move up and get Lamb or Jeudy they are the two that have the most potential to be a number one WR. If not we haven't committed to a long term deal and we can see what he does under the new coaching staff.

Would you trade him for a 2nd if that’s all we could get?

morasp

Reaction score
Would you trade him for a 2nd if that’s all we could get?
Like you said only the Cowboys know for sure and I'm sure they've discussed it. If they think he's not a big game guy than sure. Our first and a two would get us up there somewhere around pick number 10 and the QBs are expected to be popular in round one so you're almost certain to get one of top two WRs or maybe even both of them. Lamb's aggressive style reminds me a little of Deebo Samuel and Jeudy is a very polished route runner. Even if we just waited a little I think Ruggs would absolutely change the way defenses played us. They're saying he may run the forty in the 4.2s.

Last edited:

btcutter

Reaction score
Moving up will always garner a no from me. Besides the draft is loaded at WR. We can get a quality WR in the fourth of this draft.

I still believe the first three picks should be on defense, unless we lose Dak or Cooper outright.

I am never moving up for a WR.
I will move up for a DL or QB and that's it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I am never moving up for a WR.
I will move up for a DL or QB and that's it.

I don't like moving up for a WR either but this is the Cowboys we're talking about here and their dreams of creating the 90's again.

This allows them to keep their #1 WR that they so desperately want and keep their all pro corner instead of handing Byron over to the Eagles or NYG.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Anyone think this is a possibility?

There have been some rumblings from the local media that some in Dallas aren't all in on Amari. They think he quits when the chips are down and that was one of his problems in Oakland.

He's also going to be terrible value.

The thing though is that Dak is a worse QB without him.

Anyways.. Could Dallas be looking to transition tag him and trade him to a team like New England for ammo to move up and select Jeudy or Lamb?

Who is a better fit for Dak? I would think Jeudy since he is such a great route runner and can create separation since Dak isn't good at tight window throws downfield.

I don’t understand how you quit when the chips are down and go for over 1000 yards in a majority of your first few years.

Dak is better with Coop...so which is it?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don’t understand how you quit when the chips are down and go for over 1000 yards in a majority of your first few years.

Dak is better with Coop...so which is it?

This was what all the local media was saying out of no where a week or 2 ago. You can probably google some articles on it..

I personally think our success since Coop got here is dependent on how well he plays and that goes double for Dak.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You can question Cooper's love for the game, but he's not quitter. He played half this season through pain, and he played half of his 2016 season (only one where he didn't break 1,000) injured as well.

“He will never tell you, and he’ll never even talk about it, but that man was out there playing on one foot,” Derek Carr said on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Radio. “He’s out there trying to give it his all, even though he could barely get out there and do it. That’s the kind of guy I want to play with. That’s how I know we’re going to be just fine.”

When 79/1189/8 this year is "not your best" and "playing through pain", and 48/680/7 in Oakland is "barely able to get out there" you've done well for yourself.