Transplants for $$

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Back when Pat Summerall had his transplant done, a thread was started sending him best wishes and all. Into the discussion, I suggested that, given the short time period in which he topped out onto the list of most needy recipients, that it was plausible that preferential treatment could have been given.

Of course, I got hammered for that. I was told in no uncertain terms, that it was not possible for a person to 'buy' their way up to an organ transplant ahead of someone else. I was assured by a few that claimed their expertise in the matter that that was just not done. No way, no how.

Well, I offer this to the naysayers, and remember, never say never: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Q8xtfUAjzUIJ:www.kron.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D278910%26nav%3Dmenu130_14_5+saudi+embassy+pays+for+liver+transplant&hl=en

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ A Los Angeles hospital has halted its liver transplant program after learning doctors improperly arranged a new liver for a man who wasn't among the highest-priority patients.

It means lifesaving transplants could be delayed for 75 people on St. Vincent Medical Center's waiting list.

The case involves a Saudi national who got a new liver in 2003. He had been number 52 on the list that decides the order of transplants based on who is sickest and who has been on the list the longest. Saudi Arabia's embassy paid 339-thousand dollars for the operation -- about 30 percent more than the hospital would normally get from insurance and government programs.

The head of St. Vincent also tells the Los Angeles Times that staffers falsified documents to cover up the alleged wrongdoing.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jackrussell said:
Back when Pat Summerall had his transplant done, a thread was started sending him best wishes and all. Into the discussion, I suggested that, given the short time period in which he topped out onto the list of most needy recipients, that it was plausible that preferential treatment could have been given.

Of course, I got hammered for that. I was told in no uncertain terms, that it was not possible for a person to 'buy' their way up to an organ transplant ahead of someone else. I was assured by a few that claimed their expertise in the matter that that was just not done. No way, no how.

Well, I offer this to the naysayers, and remember, never say never: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Q8xtfUAjzUIJ:www.kron.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D278910%26nav%3Dmenu130_14_5+saudi+embassy+pays+for+liver+transplant&hl=en

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ A Los Angeles hospital has halted its liver transplant program after learning doctors improperly arranged a new liver for a man who wasn't among the highest-priority patients.

It means lifesaving transplants could be delayed for 75 people on St. Vincent Medical Center's waiting list.

The case involves a Saudi national who got a new liver in 2003. He had been number 52 on the list that decides the order of transplants based on who is sickest and who has been on the list the longest. Saudi Arabia's embassy paid 339-thousand dollars for the operation -- about 30 percent more than the hospital would normally get from insurance and government programs.

The head of St. Vincent also tells the Los Angeles Times that staffers falsified documents to cover up the alleged wrongdoing.

Heard that on the news this morning...bad enough the guy is paying his way over others way up the list, but the guy is not even an US citizen.

Shameful.