RELEASED Travis Frederick Is Retiring

blueblood70

Reaction score
With Looney under center, the Cowboys gave up 50+ sacks.

Dak holds the ball to long, but it's been around 30 with Frederick.

Eeesh.
no not really a good stat that was more on dak and the LG position was in flux..Dak got rid of the ball bets he has ever done in 2019 so I expect more of that..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I bet you Looney gets first team snaps in nTC maybe they McGivern 2nd or 3rd team C snaps but he going to battle cwill for LG , no way you had the keys to a rookie who was on IR all year the Center postion with possibly NO OTAs or minicamps, possible no training camp??

.. Dak and Looney were in sync all 2018 you know when we went on a 7 game win streak won the division , a playoff game and I believe zeke won the rushing crown,, Looney was at center,, he may not be mauler at blocker but calling plays for the lone and clean snaps are much more important..
Oh yah..... was that the year where we gave up 60 sacks with looney at center?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If they process this before June 1st:

• frees up $935,000 in immediate cap room
  • Off the books going into the 2021 season

If they designate him a June 1st move:
  • $7M in cap savings (not available until June 1st)
  • Counts $6.065M against 2021 cap

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
no not really a good stat that was more on dak and the LG position was in flux..Dak got rid of the ball bets he has ever done in 2019 so I expect more of that..

No, dak just had much better blocking. Despite what trolls like to say, sacks are a oline stat.

Carson

Reaction score
Yah....lol enjoy!

I like championships not making the playoffs.

Who doesnt? Where did I say I didn’t want to win #6?

Im simply saying we can make moves to survive the season. We still have trades and a draft to get to.

lockster

Reaction score
This blows, nothing like taking a year off to lose ur drive. Just when you think U got Ur line set, something always happens! Offensive line in Dallas have more problems than RB. Can't Believe how many lineman we have lost through the years. If he had signing bonus still left on his contract, they need to go get it! He got paid a lot of money over the last two years. With the training staff in Dallas, there's no need for this, they could get him back to where he needed to go if he only wanted to. He isn't going to get another gig making this much money a year unless he takes over wittens old job and proves to be a Romo behind the Mike, or sells bales of weed like Nate Newton did till he got caught! I bet this time next year, his bench press will be almost half of what it is now, and his body fat way higher. Ticks me off.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I bet you Looney gets first team snaps in nTC maybe they McGivern 2nd or 3rd team C snaps but he going to battle cwill for LG , no way you had the keys to a rookie who was on IR all year the Center postion with possibly NO OTAs or minicamps, possible no training camp??

.. Dak and Looney were in sync all 2018 you know when we went on a 7 game win streak won the division , a playoff game and I believe zeke won the rushing crown,, Looney was at center,, he may not be mauler at blocker but calling plays for the lone and clean snaps are much more important..

We gave up the most sacks in forever with Looney out there at center. Part of the problem is that he isn't very good at identifying defenses and setting up the blocking. I like Looney, but he may be at his best as a backup/fill-in instead of a starter.

I'm sure he'll get his chance, but I won't be surprised if McGovern takes the center job and Williams remains the starter at LG.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who doesnt? Where did I say I didn’t want to win #6?

Im simply saying we can make moves to survive the season. We still have trades and a draft to get to.
McGovern is our only hope to have a legitimate shot to find the next great center. Looney is a joke.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Joe Looney did well at center when Travis Fredrick was out, but you have to think the Cowboys want to get their best five and their 2018 3rd round pick on the field.

LT - Tyron Smith
LG - Connor Williams
C - Connor McGovern
RG - Zack Martin
RT - La’el Collins

Swagger

Reaction score
We had a whole heap of good fortune last season with very few key injuries compared with other teams yet still finished 8-8.

So we just have to jog it in and get on with it.

If Mike McCarthy is as good as some of you guys claim and Prescott is worth circa $40 million a season then this is just a minor bump in the road.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We gave up the most sacks in forever with Looney out there at center. Part of the problem is that he isn't very good at identifying defenses and setting up the blocking. I like Looney, but he may be at his best as a backup/fill-in instead of a starter.

I'm sure he'll get his chance, but I won't be surprised if McGovern takes the center job and Williams remains the starter at LG.
Why do u like looney? You just said why exactly not to like him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Joe Looney did well at center when Travis Fredrick was out, but you have to think the Cowboys want to get their best five and their 2018 3rd round pick on the field.

LT - Tyron Smith
LG - Connor Williams
C - Connor McGovern
RG - Zack Martin
RT - La’el Collins
No he didn’t. Looney was terrible.

Carson

Reaction score
McGovern is our only hope to have a legitimate shot to find the next great center. Looney is a joke.

He could very well win the spot. Which is ideal.

Looney is great depth. That would be ideal as looney is under a one year deal. We have McGovern for a few years

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Well..

The honeymoon is officially over.

We are all flipping thru our phones googling "centers" and. NBA centers keeps popping up.

Whew..

So how does MM deal with this?

This is a serious gash in the ships side.

We were swimming along and now?

Hmm..

Center heads right to the top of the draft.

If not at 17, then where and how soon do we fix this?

My first thought is to look what we have to choose from in the draft and consider trading back out of 17 to try to pickup another draft pick as high up in the #2 Rd as we can find.

That way we keep resources conserved and try to fill other needs at other positions.

I am also considering trading draft picks for 2021 if needed to aggressively address the issue. No reaching but the fire brigade has to show up now.

You guys have to have lots of other thoughts.

Have a shot and let's think this out.

Yes?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jake-hanson?id=32194841-4e66-8143-8a03-3cf5355d3153

Last edited:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Didn't see that coming but kudos to you Travis for recognizing the challenges ahead and the likelihood that you would not be the player you were before the illness. Get well and live your life as you see fit.