RELEASED Travis Frederick Is Retiring

RS12

Reaction score
Unable to post it right now but Broaddus saying Matt Hennessy of Temple is the best center in the draft.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Losing Travis stings, but it was quite evident he wasn't the same player last year. I was surprised to see Looney resigned, now it makes perfect sense. The team was aware of his retirement.
I don't think that is the case at all.

If that were the case they never would have allowed the Giants to flirt with Looney to sign him.

This front office is inept. They were caught with their pants down with Witten on the eve of the draft.

This one just looks better because Frederick is a good fellow and did not leave the team completely
high and dry.

lockster

Reaction score
No offense to Looney, we saw more than enough of his cerebral capabilities at center in 2018. It was a mess. He can physically do the job, but if you have a clue, you should know it is more than that.
Never said he was all pro, but he did a good job, especially getting thrown in there, and he improved as the year went on. Ive watch a bunch of centers that are much worse. Even stepnoski was getting run over the last couple years in Dallas because the NFL outgrew him. Frank Cornish was only serviceable. When Donaldson replaced stepnoski, I thought wow, what a center! Fred beard didn't have a great season himself last year, coming back after a year off. Williams isn't built like an inside guy and he gets run over!

Alexander

Reaction score
Never said he was all pro, but he did a good job, especially getting thrown in there, and he improved as the year went on. Ive watch a bunch of centers that are much worse. Even stepnoski was getting run over the last couple years in Dallas because the NFL outgrew him. Frank Cornish was only serviceable. When Donaldson replaced stepnoski, I thought wow, what a center! Fred beard didn't have a great season himself last year, coming back after a year off. Williams isn't built like an inside guy and he gets run over!
Funny how the narrative changes.

Before today: Frederick did great! He played at a high level despite his challenges!

Today: Well, he was clearly struggling. It was obvious.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The good news is that we have Williams, McGovern and Looney to compete for the two starting spots. The bad news is none of them ever may be on Frederick's peak level.

Even not at his peak last year, one of the reason the blocking improved is because Frederick makes good adjustments based on what he sees. He doesn't get fooled much in making sure everyone is picking up the right man on stunts and blitzes.
No doubt Fredrick had special talent at his position. He will be missed. But let's not forget we've already shown we can make the playoffs without him at C.

CoachD

Reaction score
Unbelievable now our first pick needs to be the best center in the draft!

Alexander

Reaction score
Unable to post it right now but Broaddus saying Matt Hennessy of Temple is the best center in the draft.
I think he is wrong.

Hennessy is good, but he is probably the third best in a perfect draftworld.

visionary

Reaction score
Does he realize year 2 after the disease is typically better?

i said it when he was diagnosed

this disease doesn’t always leave the affected at 100% even years later

self styled forum doctors laughed at this notion

At the elite level of the NFL that 10-15% is the difference being great or below average

apparently he must not be well

jujoboys

Reaction score
That rule really needs to change. Retirement should be treated differently.

It is there to keep teams from cheating the CAP. For Instance, Tampa could have signed Brady to a 5 year contract and loaded up the CAP hits in year 3, 4, and 5 if they felt Brady would retire after 2 years. Give him a $48 million signing bonus with $1 million salaries in 2020 and 2021. Make the salaries in 2022, 2023, and 2024 $25 million each year. His CAP hits would be $10.6 million in 2020 and 2021 and the cap hits would be $34.6 million in 2022, 2023, and 2024. So Brady would retire after 2021 and pocket his $50 million but only have counted a total of $21.2 million against the cap for the 2 years he played.

We just happen to be unfortunate enough to have signed our contract with a player we were not expecting to retire so early due to a unforeseen illness. The Panthers are having to eat $11.8 million of CAP space because Luke Kuechly retired.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Too bad Connor McGovern signed with the Jets. He'd be a great replacement. Also, it would be funny as heck to have 2 OL with the same name

lwehlers

Reaction score
maybe the guard that we drafted last year can be converted to center.

lockster

Reaction score
Funny how the narrative changes.

Before today: Frederick did great! He played at a high level despite his challenges!

Today: Well, he was clearly struggling. It was obvious.
My narrative has never changed, you are smoking something dude! Fred was great before sickness, less than AVG when he came back, several games in, he did ok, ended the year ok. He needed on more off season. Too bad he quit on working for it.

RS12

Reaction score
I think he is wrong.

Hennessy is good, but he is probably the third best in a perfect draftworld.
Question was asked by Alex Marvez to him and Brugler on Twitter. I was hoping to see Bruglers response but didn't. I think he is a better talent evaluator.

Alexander

Reaction score
My narrative has never changed, you are smoking something dude! Fred was great before sickness, less than AVG when he came back, several games in, he did ok, ended the year ok. He needed on more off season. Too bad he quit on working for it.
I was speaking hypothetically.

All offseason so far, give him time.

Suddenly now 70% of an All Pro will be easily replaced and even more our super savvy front office was ready.

Give me a break.