Travis Jones DT, UConn

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Having a great Sr Bowl week. Looks like he could be a day 2 guy. Good size 6'4 , just below 330 with 34 inch arms. Seems very Daron Payne like. Very stout and strong, and pushes the pocket in the passing game. 4.5 sacks last season. Solid athlete. A traditional 1T, but he could also play at the 4i if Quinn wants some Red Bryant looks there

https://www.si.com/college/uconn/football/travis-jones-making-a-name-for-himself-at-the-senior-bowl
He is the ideal interior, player we truly lack. One who is a force against the run and can collapse the pocket. You would think with that length, Quinn would be interested. Right now, he is one of my favorites in rd 2 for the Cowboys.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Dudes a very solid prospect. I’m not sure he’s a 2nd rounder but a solid mid round round target. One of my favorite DTs in the class.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Strengths
  • Plays with leverage at the point of attack whether inside or outside. Keeps eyes in the backfield when inside; moves linemen to either side with strong hands.
  • Played with good leverage, even on the nose, despite average bulk. Hustle defender with a good bull rush inside that can close and get home when quarterbacks leave the pocket.
  • Penetrates through gaps, often forcing running backs to elude him or the back end of the offensive lineman he's pushing before they even reach the line.
  • Has the upper-body strength to rock his opponent back onto his heels.
  • His ability to clog running lanes, however, is a talent highly coveted in the NFL.
Weaknesses
  • Needs to do a better job of being the aggressor and tossing blockers aside.
  • Isn't able to consistently shed blocks and makes plays in the hole.
  • Plays too high at times, and gets carried downfield or put to the ground by better lineman when losing the leverage battle.
  • Good strength, though his marginal arm length limits his ability to grab hold of ballcarriers as they run by.
  • Inconsistent in his ability to separate from blocks, however, making him more of a nuisance than a snap-to-snap terror.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I see more in him than I do Bohanna.

That’s not to say I thought Bohanna should have been a world beater but I didn’t see much from him at Kentucky or much flash as a rookie for a guy that big.

Last edited:

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Someone in the draft room is going to have to pound the table for a guy like this. We just never value these types of players. There’s no real physical presence on that line with the exception of DLaw. That has to change.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Someone in the draft room is going to have to pound the table for a guy like this. We just never value these types of players. There’s no real physical presence on that line with the exception of DLaw. That has to change.

I don't care what anyone else says - if he's there @ 56, I'm turning the pick in within the 1st minute we're on the clock. He makes everyone else's job on the DL easier - everyone would have consistent one-on-one battles. He is a double team eater.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I see more in him than I do Bohanna.

That’s not to say I thought Bohanna should have been a world beater but I didn’t see much from him at Kentucky or much flash as a rookie for a guy that big.
I think the belief with Bohanna was that he would be more effective after getting down to 330. It didnt happen, and unless he can completely reform his body I dont think it will. He needs to add alot of strength. He is just a fat body out there.

Not out of the realm of possibility though. The positive is that he did at least lose the weight. Shows he is willing to put that effort in

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think the belief with Bohanna was that he would be more effective after getting down to 330. It didnt happen, and unless he can completely reform his body I dont think it will. He needs to add alot of strength. He is just a fat body out there.

Not out of the realm of possibility though. The positive is that he did at least lose the weight. Shows he is willing to put that effort in

Bohanna was a 6th round rookie…so realistic expectations would be for him to turn into a rotational player next year or year 3.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Having a great Sr Bowl week. Looks like he could be a day 2 guy. Good size 6'4 , just below 330 with 34 inch arms. Seems very Daron Payne like. Very stout and strong, and pushes the pocket in the passing game. 4.5 sacks last season. Solid athlete. A traditional 1T, but he could also play at the 4i if Quinn wants some Red Bryant looks there

https://www.si.com/college/uconn/football/travis-jones-making-a-name-for-himself-at-the-senior-bowl
The DL issue has never been on the Edge, but rather within the interior. In the run game, we need to do a better job of keeping our linebackers clean and not allow those big lineman to get a hat onto them. Against the pass, we need to push the pocket, force the QB off his spot and move towards our strength on the edges. Give Gregory or DLaw an additional second, they will accumulate more sacks. This NT class appears to have a few good fits for the Cowboys. Now the 3T's we drafted was to make the next step.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
You have to use more draft capital on your DL. Especially on the interior. Using 3rd round picks is just not going to do it. I’m a fan of Osa, but the guys on the interior are 1 dimensional. They don’t hold up well physically in the run game. This isn’t the year to use 1st rounder on a DT. But guys like Jones and Ridgeway physically check a box that we desperately need.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
You have to use more draft capital on your DL. Especially on the interior. Using 3rd round picks is just not going to do it. I’m a fan of Osa, but the guys on the interior are 1 dimensional. They don’t hold up well physically in the run game. This isn’t the year to use 1st rounder on a DT. But guys like Jones and Ridgeway physically check a box that we desperately need.
A really good 1T makes EVERYONE ELSE in the Front 7’s job easier…PERIOD!!!!! I don’t understand why Dallas refuses to grasp this.

Mr_437

Reaction score
A really good 1T makes EVERYONE ELSE in the Front 7’s job easier…PERIOD!!!!! I don’t understand why Dallas refuses to grasp this.
Are you new to this? Jerry doesn't value NTs at all. Stephen literally paid the inconsistent kicker more than the starting NT, SS and FS.

Jones is exactly what the Cowboys need at NT.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Jones is one of my guys this year. I think him and Ridgeway could be good 1T targets in the 3rd.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
We need to stop looking fir rookie dts to save us. That position probably yields the lowest first year results of any position.