Trent Dilfer Is Probably Flabbergasted

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Here’s a guy who was a multi-year starter for the Buccaneers. He actually started over 70 games for Tampa before he landed on the Ravens’ roster. Then, after Banks was benched, he played not great, but well-enough to lead Baltimore on a 11-game winning streak. Within a span of a few months, Dilfer was a Super Bowl winning quarterback!

Shortly afterwards, Brian Billick kicked him so hard to the curb in favor of Elvis Grbac--that Dilfer probably STILL has the bottom of Billick's shoe tattooed to his [censored]. He was probably very upset and frustrated at the very short-term acknowledgement and respect that the franchise, fans and media gave him after he was cut. He may have repeatedly said to himself, “HEY! I led this team to an NFL championship and you’ve forgotten about me already!!!”

Nowadays, whenever he’s watching television, he is probably dumbfounded at all the attention that Quincy Carter and [to a lesser extent] Chad Hutchinson have garnered after they were cut by Dallas. His mind probably centers on one thought…

“Compared to me, what the HECK did either of those two guys EVER do to deserve this unceasing amount of attention…?!?”

I really feel for that guy [not], but he would have a point… wouldn’t he..?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Trent never played for America's Team, tho. Poor thing, maybe if he had, someone would care.

He also suffers from being a total professional (read: boring). The absence of drugs, insubordination, hissy fits, and general whining makes for a dull read.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Trent never played for America's Team, tho. Poor thing, maybe if he had, someone would care.

He also suffers from being a total professional (read: boring). The absence of drugs, insubordination, hissy fits, and general whining makes for a dull read.
That is the veteran QB I have wanted for the last 3 years. Not that I think he is a Troy Aikman, but that he is suck a professional that the team needed that example. I really like the guy.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Hostile said:
That is the veteran QB I have anted for the last 3 years. Not that I think he is a Troy Aikman, but that he is suck a professional that the team needed that example. I really like the guy.

Agreed... he is a character guy... and he has been through alot...

Losing his 5 yo son to heart disease last year...
Being ridiculed by fans and sportswriters...
Being cut from a team you won a SB for...

All of this and he still shows dignity and class... I'm a fan of Trent...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Agreed... he is a character guy... and he has been through alot...

Losing his 5 yo son to heart disease last year...
Being ridiculed by fans and sportswriters...
Being cut from a team you won a SB for...

All of this and he still shows dignity and class... I'm a fan of Trent...
The class he showed after the loss of his son is just amazing. I lost a son, and I can tell you, he handled it way better than I did. Elevated him in my esteem I can tell you and taught me a lot in the process.

As you said he also handled the waiver after the SB well. I wanted him not Banks.

Ken

Reaction score
Hostile said:
That is the veteran QB I have anted for the last 3 years. Not that I think he is a Troy Aikman, but that he is suck a professional that the team needed that example. I really like the guy.

I agree Hostile.

This is a guy I have always rooted for and was glad to see win a Super Bowl.

The guy was blamed for everything in Tampa when they put nothing around him. When they finally did put something around him, he became a pro bowler.

Poor man's Aikman is what I always compared him to.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Ken said:
I agree Hostile.

This is a guy I have always rooted for and was glad to see win a Super Bowl.

The guy was blamed for everything in Tampa when they put nothing around him. When they finally did put something around him, he became a pro bowler.

Poor man's Aikman is what I always compared him to.

Ironically enough Ken, I always felt his career circumstances quite obviously paralleled someone else now on our roster playing the same position. Tampa has been a rough town for certain quarterbacks over the last couple of decades!

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I wanted Dilfer to come in and be the stop gap from Aikman before we started the QC or Hutch era instead JJ went after Banks for some stupid reason when Dilfer was there for the taking. Dilfer was a better QB than Banks in the fact he new how not to lose games. I think he fit well in Bill offense to but that is the past arrg.

Ok you had to dredge all that up again and make me want to go stomp something in.

Thank goodness I have Aikido tonight; I can go hurt someone ;) and feel better

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
“HEY! I led this team to an NFL championship and you’ve forgotten about me already!!!”

everyone knows that it was all about the Defense

Reaction score
jacs said:
“HEY! I led this team to an NFL championship and you’ve forgotten about me already!!!”

everyone knows that it was all about the Defense

Then I would call him the ultimate bus driver. Don't have to win the game, but just don't lose it.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
We should have traded for Dilfer this season. People forget that Dilfer was a top 5 draft pick much like another guy by the name of oh...Phillip Rivers. Dilfer is a pocket passer and he sufferred early in his career because the Bucs could never provide him with protection. When they started improving under Dungy, he became a Pro Bowler. And then when he went to a team with a defense and a running game, he won a Superbowl.

Dilfer has everything you want in QB outside of mobility. He is talented, patient in the pocket, humble and intelligent. He can read defenses and he is extremely unselfish.

It's a tragedy his name has been tarnished so heavily from his Tampa Bay days. That's the only reason why Billick cut him in favor of Grbac because Billick was afraid Dilfer could resort to his former self. In the end, Billick was wrong. Grbac choked in Baltimore and Dilfer played well enough as a backup to earn the starting position the following season.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
More sad than anything else is, we could have signed him that year after Aikman retired and we signed Tony Banks instead, and drafted Carter. Now, who is the fool again?