Trent Williams signed to MEGA deal by Lil' Dan

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
No, he certainly is not. But carry on.

Trent Williams has been one of the better LTs the last three years, but 2012 was bay far his best season and some portion of that can definitely be attributed to the read option. Teams didn't know how to defend against it, which lead to the running game being far more effective and DEs consistently were getting beat by RG3s athleticism even when they would get past Trent because quite frankly, they didn't know whether to crash in at the RB or attack the QB in the open field. Literally everyone on the o-line had a career season that year, and none, including Trent have been able to reach that level since. Even Alfred Morris has seen his total yardage and YPC drop in each season since. You may blame it on RG3, but most would say 2012 was the aberration for all involved. And again, he's still been one of the better LTs, but his best season happened in 2012 at the age of 24. Tyron Smith, has been better than Trent Williams the last two seasons and is just now 24 and won't turn 25 until week 14.

manster4ever

Reaction score
No, he certainly is not. But carry on.

oh HELL no.....I watched your guy last night. Road grader, strong like bull and very effective. But the fact is he doesn't have the lateral quickness and overall game of T.Smith. Tyron can get to the second level and punish people. Williams is VERY good, but simply doesn't have the athleticism of TS. Deal with it.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
oh HELL no.....I watched your guy last night. Road grader, strong like bull and very effective. But the fact is he doesn't have the lateral quickness and overall game of T.Smith. Tyron can get to the second level and punish people. Williams is VERY good, but simply doesn't have the athleticism of TS. Deal with it.

I think they both have very similar physical tools, but Tyron has been more consistent. He entered the league at a younger age and has improved every season, Williams whether due to injuries or scheme has not been as good the last two seasons.

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
Trent hasn't been healthy the last two years, but when healthy(which he's been for the vast majority of his career) he's been money. Even battling knee issues he was better than the vast majority of LTs in the league. I will admit I haven't seen as much of Smith yet, but to claim Smith is definitely better when Trent is a top 3 LT in the game is just some of you guys being homers. Seriously.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
And off marijuana.

Yeah- that would be nice for them, wouldn't it?
I say let him toke like Snoop Lion. Go all the way to the brink, Trent.

Tell me what staaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrsssssssss are made of.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Trent hasn't been healthy the last two years, but when healthy(which he's been for the vast majority of his career) he's been money.

Well, he's only been in the league for 5 years, kinda hard to say he's been healthy the vast majority when you start by saying he's been injured the last 2.

Even battling knee issues he was better than the vast majority of LTs in the league. I will admit I haven't seen as much of Smith yet, but to claim Smith is definitely better when Trent is a top 3 LT in the game is just some of you guys being homers. Seriously.

Again, Smith has been better the last 2 years. In 2012, Trent Williams was definitely better, won't hear me say otherwise. You can even argue that in 2012, he was better than Smith was in 2015, however I would say that level of play was the outliner in his career. He was no where near that good in 2010 and 2011 and was also not nearly as good in 2013 and 2014. What you saw was a guy that has top 5 talent, playing in a system that would make any o-lineman look better, like it did for several guys who aren't even in the league anymore. So Williams, a top 5 or so tackle, looked like he was on par with Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady (Clady has since fallen off and Jason Peters missed that season) and a few others, when he wasn't there yet.

And I'd say he's top 5 now, but even if you ignore injury history and age, most would give a alight edge to Tyron and a good portion would just call them even. Considering Tyron Smith is now the same age as Williams was when he had his best season, no one would take Trent over Tyron.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Tyron gave a HUGE discount, so to me his deal is a non comparision.

Trent got paid what his level of play/age indicates he should get paid (I predicted 5/65 two years ago)

Good deal for a good dude who constantly plays hurt and now has a real o-line coach to take his game to another level. And since we won't have to pay big money for a QB for at least 5 years, I am not concerned about any cap hit with him

Carl23

Reaction score
He is definitely on par with Tyron. I think this is a good signing for both the Skins and Williams. It gives the Skins some stability for the next few years and should allow Williams to get one more big contract in before he's over the hill.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
He is definitely on par with Tyron. I think this is a good signing for both the Skins and Williams. It gives the Skins some stability for the next few years and should allow Williams to get one more big contract in before he's over the hill.

I think Tyron is the better player, but not so much that it is incredibly noticeable.

I think Tyron in baseball parlance would be a 7 WAR player. Trent Williams is a 6-6.5 WAR player.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Trent hasn't been healthy the last two years, but when healthy(which he's been for the vast majority of his career) he's been money. Even battling knee issues he was better than the vast majority of LTs in the league. I will admit I haven't seen as much of Smith yet, but to claim Smith is definitely better when Trent is a top 3 LT in the game is just some of you guys being homers. Seriously.

How exactly when Smith is also in the top 3 of LT's in the game?

I swear sometimes you guys hit your freaking heads with your hatred of other teams.

Trent is a high quality left tackle. I don't think anyone could be upset about having him at LT.

Unless of course your LT is T. Smith.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I think you need to get up to date on Tyron Smith.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Tyron gave a HUGE discount, so to me his deal is a non comparision.

Trent got paid what his level of play/age indicates he should get paid (I predicted 5/65 two years ago)

Good deal for a good dude who constantly plays hurt and now has a real o-line coach to take his game to another level. And since we won't have to pay big money for a QB for at least 5 years, I am not concerned about any cap hit with him

We need to start getting these punks to show some loyalty to the Commander organization and stop thinking of just themselves.