Trevin Wallace, ILB, Kentucky Draft Slotting?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Wallace was one of KingoftheNorth pet cats early in the process. We know he is a 30 day visitor by the Cowboys, but cannot really determine his draft slotting:

PFF-246
Drafttek-128
Pro Football Network-70

Heard Broaddus scout him as a 2nd rd player in the same group as Cooper, Wilson.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think he has all the traits you want in a LB, but not sure if he’s ready to play day 1. Seemed to rely mostly on being big and athletic in college and doesn’t have great instincts. I’d be happy with him in the 3rd, but don’t know if he’s 2nd round worthy.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think he has all the traits you want in a LB, but not sure if he’s ready to play day 1. Seemed to rely mostly on being big and athletic in college and doesn’t have great instincts. I’d be happy with him in the 3rd, but don’t know if he’s 2nd round worthy.
Heard the lack of instincts trait before. Same for Colson. Those type of players scare me and would be real hesitate to take either, certainly not as high as rd 2.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Heard the lack of instincts trait before. Same for Colson. Those type of players scare me and would be real hesitate to take either, certainly not as high as rd 2.
Man, I don’t know about the instincts thing. Sometimes these guys get slapped with a label and it just gets passed along. I favored Colson until I watched more of Wallace. He moves with a sense of urgency and purpose. I saw enough of him properly diagnosing and reacting to be on the Wallace train.

I’m sure there is some tape of him whiffing due to how fast he moves. Agree on being iffy for a round 2 selection, but pending how the board is playing out, rd. 3 would be nice.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Bruce Feldman's writeup on Wallace last August...

11. Trevin Wallace, Kentucky, linebacker

This guy was a huge get for Kentucky out of Jesup, Ga. In 2021, he made the SEC’s All-Freshman team, and last year he posted 54 tackles, 5.5 TFLs, 2.5 sacks and intercepted two passes. The former high school track star — who once jumped 23-4 1/4 inches to break a school record that stood for 44 years and also won the state weightlifting title with a 335-pound power clean — is now up to 242 pounds, but still runs 22 MPH on the GPS and vertical-jumps 38.5 inches. His power clean is now up to 380 and he squats almost 600.

PFF Grades (not the greatest)
DEF 61.1
RUN DEF 61.4
PASS RUSH 64.3
COVERAGE 58.6

For comparison, Payton Wilson (he's so good)
DEF 89.9
RUN DEF 83.7
PASS RUSH 76.8
COVERAGE 90.4

3rd round is where McClay and the scouts tend to take over and Wallace is the high-traits athlete McClay favors.

I get what some people are saying when they question his instincts. He does have an exceptional trigger, so coaches have to find out if he is slow to diagnose plays or just overly reliant on that trigger.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Man, I don’t know about the instincts thing. Sometimes these guys get slapped with a label and it just gets passed along. I favored Colson until I watched more of Wallace. He moves with a sense of urgency and purpose. I saw enough of him properly diagnosing and reacting to be on the Wallace train.

I’m sure there is some tape of him whiffing due to how fast he moves. Agree on being iffy for a round 2 selection, but pending how the board is playing out, rd. 3 would be nice.
In my opinion, Wallace processes faster then I see with Colson, but not on the level as Wilson/Cooper. I agree, 3rd rd at the earliest seems about right.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Bruce Feldman's writeup on Wallace last August...

11. Trevin Wallace, Kentucky, linebacker

This guy was a huge get for Kentucky out of Jesup, Ga. In 2021, he made the SEC’s All-Freshman team, and last year he posted 54 tackles, 5.5 TFLs, 2.5 sacks and intercepted two passes. The former high school track star — who once jumped 23-4 1/4 inches to break a school record that stood for 44 years and also won the state weightlifting title with a 335-pound power clean — is now up to 242 pounds, but still runs 22 MPH on the GPS and vertical-jumps 38.5 inches. His power clean is now up to 380 and he squats almost 600.

PFF Grades (not the greatest)
DEF 61.1
RUN DEF 61.4
PASS RUSH 64.3
COVERAGE 58.6

For comparison, Payton Wilson (he's so good)
DEF 89.9
RUN DEF 83.7
PASS RUSH 76.8
COVERAGE 90.4

3rd round is where McClay and the scouts tend to take over and Wallace is the high-traits athlete McClay favors.

I get what some people are saying when they question his instincts. He does have an exceptional trigger, so coaches have to find out if he is slow to diagnose plays or just overly reliant on that trigger.
Clearly he isn't a mid-day 3 prospect like where many media scouts are projecting. I do have him ahead of Colson who I see as being more of a guesser, but don't see elite instincts, either. We know the Cowboy Scouts love athletic backers and he certainly fits the bill. I agree, 3rd rd seems about right. However, with the lack of depth at the position this yr, he might go higher then where the Cowboys are picking.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We’ve been trying the great athlete without instincts for a decade at LBr and have failed miserably…

I wouldn’t touch this kid until the 5th…the 2nd would be complete insanity.

Aven8

Reaction score
The kid makes a ton of plays but for my money I’m going with Cedric Gray. Unfortunately I don’t believe we’ve even met with him…..

Verdammung

Reaction score
We’ve been trying the great athlete without instincts for a decade at LBr and have failed miserably…

And with the 56th pick of the 2024 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select...

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He definitely checks a lot of the Cowboys' boxes. Top-end athlete who fills a big need.

I think he's very much in play for Dallas at #56. That's probably higher than any big board has him, but we also drafted KJ and Schoonmaker higher than any big board predicted.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

This is a good point......smart scouting and evaluations will get to the bottom of this.

tm1119

Reaction score

I think you’re going a little overboard there. He’s not lost on the field or anything like that. Just needs more coaching/time to get better at diagnosing running lanes. 3rd round is good value on a prospect like that

Carter

Reaction score
The kid makes a ton of plays but for my money I’m going with Cedric Gray. Unfortunately I don’t believe we’ve even met with him…..
He is my favourite LB in this Draft after Cooper.

The guy just produces. He just makes play after play and is durable.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think you’re going a little overboard there. He’s not lost on the field or anything like that. Just needs more coaching/time to get better at diagnosing running lanes. 3rd round is good value on a prospect like that
It’s not just me…it’s basically every scouting report out there.

Instincts is arguably the most important trait for a MLB and we continue to ignore it which is why we have uber athletes like Clark out there that look lost at times.

TheDank

Reaction score
I personally place him as a mid third. Off ball LB isn’t a position of strength in this draft so he could get moved up to late 2 or early 3.

Aven8

Reaction score
He is my favourite LB in this Draft after Cooper.

The guy just produces. He just makes play after play and is durable.
Yep. 3 years of production and has the size Zimm wants.