Trevin Wallace is underrated

nathanlt

Reaction score
I've seen big board mocks that have Trevin Wallace down in the 200's as far as ranking. That seems way out of place from what the film shows. He is a lightning fast blitzer, good in coverage and run support. Overall, he just seems to be a terrific player.... What am I missing, what am I not seeing about him? If the Cowboys get him at pick 174, I'm good with that!!

nathanlt

Reaction score
He lacks eyes and instincts…arguably the most important element of LBr play.

We’ve drafted the super athletes without instincts for a decade now and none of them have been good.
See, I thought his read and react was pretty good... I'll look again for that instinctivness. Thanks!

TheDank

Reaction score
See, I thought his read and react was pretty good... I'll look again for that instinctivness. Thanks!
I don’t think you missed anything. I saw him recognize the play and shoot gaps plenty and didn’t feel like he was lost in coverage. I had a similar reaction to you the first time I watched him after another poster on here posted about him. I’ve seen a couple of mocks with him creeping up to late 2 into the mid 3rd so the dream of getting him in 5 is probably dead.

They’re not as deep of cuts but I think Michael Hall and Cooper Beebe have been severely underrated by the draft community and will go much sooner than they’ve been mocked so far as well.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I've seen big board mocks that have Trevin Wallace down in the 200's as far as ranking. That seems way out of place from what the film shows. He is a lightning fast blitzer, good in coverage and run support. Overall, he just seems to be a terrific player.... What am I missing, what am I not seeing about him? If the Cowboys get him at pick 174, I'm good with that!!

Thank God you don’t have any influence on Will McClay.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Thank God you don’t have any influence on Will McClay.
Will McClay is great, and I don't think anyone should replace him. And hey, watching the highlight reels only won't have evidence of a slow read and react, right? So there's that.

I just genuinely wanted to hear what some people who may have watched Trevin Wallace more than me were saying... nothing more.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Agreed, he is underrated.

I think the posters saying he has bad eyes/instincts are a bit off. He's not elite here like a Payton Wilson, but he can diagnose plays and trigger. I think his ideal poistion would be the second LB (not the Mike) in the current 4-2-5 that everyone is using now, think Dre Greenlaw.

1942willys

Reaction score
A lot of the reviews question his football instincts; sadly I think he is more of an athlete than a player

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agreed, he is underrated.

I think the posters saying he has bad eyes/instincts are a bit off. He's not elite here like a Payton Wilson, but he can diagnose plays and trigger. I think his ideal poistion would be the second LB (not the Mike) in the current 4-2-5 that everyone is using now, think Dre Greenlaw.
Every scouting report I’ve read list his eyes / instincts as a negative.

Thats terrifying IMO considering that’s the type of LBr we’ve been trying for a decade with 0 success.

1942willys

Reaction score

Thats terrifying IMO considering that’s the type of LBr we’ve been trying for a decade with 0 success.
Yeah and the guy that we hit on ends a injury riddled career this offseason

TheDank

Reaction score

They may be right and I’m wrong but online scouting reports are an echo chamber where a bunch of lazy sites and scouts just post what the other “big time scouts” have without watching any tape. I trust my own eyes more than a blurb on a site, but it can also be dependent on what games you watched. I think I watched 2-3 for Trevin.

nathanlt

Reaction score
They may be right and I’m wrong but online scouting reports are an echo chamber where a bunch of lazy sites and scouts just post what the other “big time scouts” have without watching any tape. I trust my own eyes more than a blurb on a site, but it can also be dependent on what games you watched. I think I watched 2-3 for Trevin.
So, based on your first hand account of actually watching the games.... does he seem like his read and react is pretty good? Or does he get washed out a lot? The highlight reel obviously showed his burst and ability to support in the run game. It also showed an interception that he had.

I'm genuinely interested in what your eyes tell you about his read and react.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’m referencing the analysts that do this for a living professionally + what I’ve watched…but to each their own.

1942willys

Reaction score
the Mark One Eyeball can lie as well
The old saying is this
when twenty people in a row tell you that you are drunk, its time to borrow a quarter and lay down in the gutter

TheDank

Reaction score
I’m referencing the analysts that do this for a living professionally + what I’ve watched…but to each their own.
Plenty of people do things for a living but still suck at them. Taco Charlton still technically plays football for a living and Mel Kiper bet his career on Jimmy Clausen being a franchise QB.

TheDank

Reaction score
So, based on your first hand account of actually watching the games.... does he seem like his read and react is pretty good? Or does he get washed out a lot? The highlight reel obviously showed his burst and ability to support in the run game. It also showed an interception that he had.

I'm genuinely interested in what your eyes tell you about his read and react.
You could always get caddy’s cut ups on patreon if you wanted some film but even just on YouTube his whole game against FL is there. That was a good example of him overall. First play, reads, trusts his eyes, shoots the gap. A few plays later he does hesitate too much on a third and long and gets caught up in the wash for a long gain. Later on same drive does a fantastic job of picking up a TE in coverage.

He’s up and down a bit, but he does see things and react well. You can tell he watches tape and has a decent feel for what teams are going to do to him. I think he needs to learn to trust his eyes/knowledge more and not hesitate as often, but there’s plenty of tape of him seeing it and hitting it. There’s occasional lapses, but it’s not constant or consistent imo.

He’s not Luke Kuechly but he’s not lost out there either. I’d bet with time and good coaching he gains confidence and you see more of the boom plays than busted assignments. NFL is another level of complexity though so I’d predict some early struggles depending on his assignment. This is also a guy who is a third or fourth rounder not a 1 or 2 for me.

nathanlt

Reaction score
You could always get caddy’s cut ups on patreon if you wanted some film but even just on YouTube his whole game against FL is there. That was a good example of him overall. First play, reads, trusts his eyes, shoots the gap. A few plays later he does hesitate too much on a third and long and gets caught up in the wash for a long gain. Later on same drive does a fantastic job of picking up a TE in coverage.

He’s up and down a bit, but he does see things and react well. You can tell he watches tape and has a decent feel for what teams are going to do to him. I think he needs to learn to trust his eyes/knowledge more and not hesitate as often, but there’s plenty of tape of him seeing it and hitting it. There’s occasional lapses, but it’s not constant or consistent imo.

He’s not Luke Kuechly but he’s not lost out there either. I’d bet with time and good coaching he gains confidence and you see more of the boom plays than busted assignments. NFL is another level of complexity though so I’d predict some early struggles depending on his assignment. This is also a guy who is a third or fourth rounder not a 1 or 2 for me.
Great, thanks! I was hoping for a pick 174 for him, nothing crazy. In general trading down and multiplying top 100 picks... I don't think it is an earthquake to choose him around pick #100 either.