Troy Aikman: Doug wanted Hurts & Lurie wanted Wents

Fmart322

Reaction score
Interesting...

I think Carson Wentz career in Philly are definitely numbered. If his salary cap hit was a bit more team friendly I would be 100% certain he would be done in Philly.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/troy-aikman-doug-

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie’s decision to fire coach Doug Pederson may have stemmed from a difference of opinion about who should be the team’s starting quarterback going forward.

Pederson thinks Jalen Hurts gives the Eagles the best chance to win, and Lurie wants to salvage Carson Wentz, according to Troy Aikman, who said on Michael Irvin’s podcast that he spoke to Pederson after Pederson was fired.

I reached out to Doug Pederson yesterday when I heard the news,” Aikman said. “What I gathered it came down to was a difference of opinion as to how they’re moving forward at the quarterback position, is what I sensed. Jeff Lurie, the owner, has paid a lot of money to Carson Wentz, and they’re on the hook with him, they can’t get out of that contract right away. It’s my belief that Doug Pederson felt that Jalen Hurts is probably the quarterback going forward. And how does that mesh?”

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-brian-johnson-quarterbacks-20210127.html

The Eagles are expected to hire Florida offensive coordinator Brian Johnson as their quarterbacks coach, a league source confirmed Wednesday.

Johnson’s most noteworthy charge during his coaching career is Dak Prescott. Johnson was Prescott’s position coach at Mississippi State from 2014-15 and helped develop the Cowboys quarterback, who has become a quality starter since going in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL draft.

Johnson will start the job with a strong connection with Hurts. Johnson played high school football in Baytown, Texas, when Hurts father, Averion, was an assistant coach there.

“I’ve known Jalen since he was 4,” Johnson said.

C42

Reaction score
People actually believe Hurts is better than Wentz? Neither were good this past season lol. If anything, Hurts proved the problem was never the QB.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Philly has made this a problem with the difference of opinion between the owner and coach.
Shouldn't have been.
Wentz is on a big contract, can't be cut due to that. Hurts was a rookie last year, he has no leverage to ask for a trade.

All they had to do was:
Sit both down together and tell them there's going to be a competition next year in camp and pre-season for the starter's job. That they have to earn the job. That as the owner, or coach (whoever does the talking here, or both if you like) they want what's best for the Eagles football team, and would hope that's also what the players want. (If either one doesn't heartily agree, that solves your problem right there, as far as who will be the starter, at least).

Whoever wins, the job is his. Will the other accept the backup role? If so, the problem is also over. If not, tell them the team will make every effort to trade them, no guarantees a team will take them, but hopefully we can work a deal.

If no deal can be done, act like a man and accept it....