Recap: Troy Aikman Show 1/5/24 Ticket FM: Jimmy ROH - Old Coach Came Back, DET/DAL- Coaches More Aggressive

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/

Jimmy Induction
  • It meant a lot to Jimmy. It was everything I expected. It was good to see him and Jerry together and feel that their differences are officially in past which is good for all of us. I wouldn't be in the HOF, nor Emmitt and Michael, if not for Jimmy and way he constructed those teams and what he meant for us.
  • To see him now compared to him as a Coach is completely different. He enjoys each and every minute he has which is not the Coach we played for. When he got in the HOF it was with a few others so there wasn't that moment when fans could really celebrate him, but this time they got to show him what he meant to them.
  • I think ROH meant more but not less than HOF. I thought ROH would be an afterthought after the HOF, and pale in comparison. But that wasn't the case, it was something that was still real important to him. Honestly, more important to him than anyone I've talked to who has a chance to get in or has got in. I compare it to when I came to Dallas for Cotton Bowl and we practiced at Texas Stadium. I remember coming on field and looking up and seeing the names -- Roger Staubach, Bob Lilly, Tony Dorsett, etc. Something to be said for a young kid today who walks out on field and has same experience with modern players on those walls.
  • Not every Jimmy talk always went well. I compare it to your parents and the side eye... here we go again. People always ask me though what made him so great. It was #1 great evaluator of talent. #2 knew how to push buttons, and NEVER did it the same way, always had something different. When he gave that speech to fans, he was giving it to his players as much as the fans. I hadn't seen that side of him in a while. It was like we had old Coach Johnson. He prides himself on motivating people. He had a way of doing it and getting people's attention and I have never seen a coach who could do it better. I have various organizations reach out to me over the years for head coach recommendations, and I always tell them that person MUST be able to sit in front of 53 people and command the room. Probably even harder now with the salaries. But you must earn the players respct and get their attention.
Detroit Game
  • Haven't kept up with the league's reaction because getting ready for next game, but at end of ballgame, do you play aggressively and put a team away, or do you play more conservative and run out the clock? Challenging decisions.
  • With advent of analytics, our sport has changed. Coaches are greenlighted now to do things they NEVER would in past. Think back when Belichick went for it on 4th against Colts backed up on his 40-yard line and he gets skewered. But now that's common practice and media/fans accept it. Dallas did throw it on the down before that and completed it. If you complete the pass, no one thinks anything of it. If it's incomplete, and Dak has to understand and keeping the clock going too, people remember. And it gives Detroit an opportunity. I'm sure Mike would look back and acknowledge not greatest sequence of events.
  • There was the tripping call that was called on Dallas, but I'm also told there could have been a holding call called on Dallas.
  • On other side, wasn't surprised that Campbell would go for it. I thought they would kick the XP after ball went back, but they didn't. It seems Skipper had been checking in for short yardage all game and referee just assumed he was again. Was trying to get Decker eligible without alerting the Cowboys which is not unusual. Probably all worked out way it should have with Dallas winning. But no matter what, there would have been a lot of arguments.
Next Week's MNF Game (Saturday, Texans vs Colts)
  • Very impressed with CJ Stroud. Saw early HOU/JAX game and found myself watching him more than anyone. I remember telling people this guy is really something. I'd never seen him play in college and it was my first exposure, he was the real deal. There have been Ohio State QBs who struggled but he looks real coached. Has some background fundamentals at college level. Really good feet, manages pocket well, good feel for coverage and doesn't get fooled much, accurate.. hard to believe he's a rookie. Looking at Texas, rookie head coach and QB, first year offensive play caller, and tied for fewest turnovers and have 2nd most big passes in league, and on verge of making Playoffs. Nothing like that ever happens with that many first year people. It's very impressive.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Troy is 100% spot on with the Jimmy Speech during his ROH induction. When he went to the ".... and to the millions of haters, we love you too!" the crowd errupted and it got me pumped! Micah and them boys would be eating up his words if he was in locker room telling them stuff like that. He just knew how to push buttons and get people excited, whether it be his players in private, or something in public like the three inch headlines. Wish we had someone like that. Doesn't even have to be the Coach, I'll take QB or GM, just someone who knows how to lead like that.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
I would have asked him why ESPN did not show the bogus tripping call or the audio of 70 being announced as eligible

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I would have asked him why ESPN did not show the bogus tripping call or the audio of 70 being announced as eligible
As a broadcaster, yes. But even watching Irvin's take, or Nate Newton's podcast... those 90's Boys, different breed. They just don't complain and whine about refs and calls like today's team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a broadcaster, yes. But even watching Irvin's take, or Nate Newton's podcast... those 90's Boys, different breed. They just don't complain and whine about refs and calls like today's team.
There were bad calls back in those days. But not on the level of today. It's hard to believe that as technology as got so much better over the years, it seems officiating is getting worse at the same rate.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/

Jimmy Induction
  • It meant a lot to Jimmy. It was everything I expected. It was good to see him and Jerry together and feel that their differences are officially in past which is good for all of us. I wouldn't be in the HOF, nor Emmitt and Michael, if not for Jimmy and way he constructed those teams and what he meant for us.
  • To see him now compared to him as a Coach is completely different. He enjoys each and every minute he has which is not the Coach we played for. When he got in the HOF it was with a few others so there wasn't that moment when fans could really celebrate him, but this time they got to show him what he meant to them.
  • I think ROH meant more but not less than HOF. I thought ROH would be an afterthought after the HOF, and pale in comparison. But that wasn't the case, it was something that was still real important to him. Honestly, more important to him than anyone I've talked to who has a chance to get in or has got in. I compare it to when I came to Dallas for Cotton Bowl and we practiced at Texas Stadium. I remember coming on field and looking up and seeing the names -- Roger Staubach, Bob Lilly, Tony Dorsett, etc. Something to be said for a young kid today who walks out on field and has same experience with modern players on those walls.
  • Not every Jimmy talk always went well. I compare it to your parents and the side eye... here we go again. People always ask me though what made him so great. It was #1 great evaluator of talent. #2 knew how to push buttons, and NEVER did it the same way, always had something different. When he gave that speech to fans, he was giving it to his players as much as the fans. I hadn't seen that side of him in a while. It was like we had old Coach Johnson. He prides himself on motivating people. He had a way of doing it and getting people's attention and I have never seen a coach who could do it better. I have various organizations reach out to me over the years for head coach recommendations, and I always tell them that person MUST be able to sit in front of 53 people and command the room. Probably even harder now with the salaries. But you must earn the players respct and get their attention.
Detroit Game
  • Haven't kept up with the league's reaction because getting ready for next game, but at end of ballgame, do you play aggressively and put a team away, or do you play more conservative and run out the clock? Challenging decisions.
  • With advent of analytics, our sport has changed. Coaches are greenlighted now to do things they NEVER would in past. Think back when Belichick went for it on 4th against Colts backed up on his 40-yard line and he gets skewered. But now that's common practice and media/fans accept it. Dallas did throw it on the down before that and completed it. If you complete the pass, no one thinks anything of it. If it's incomplete, and Dak has to understand and keeping the clock going too, people remember. And it gives Detroit an opportunity. I'm sure Mike would look back and acknowledge not greatest sequence of events.
  • There was the tripping call that was called on Dallas, but I'm also told there could have been a holding call called on Dallas.
  • On other side, wasn't surprised that Campbell would go for it. I thought they would kick the XP after ball went back, but they didn't. It seems Skipper had been checking in for short yardage all game and referee just assumed he was again. Was trying to get Decker eligible without alerting the Cowboys which is not unusual. Probably all worked out way it should have with Dallas winning. But no matter what, there would have been a lot of arguments.
Next Week's MNF Game (Saturday, Texans vs Colts)
  • Very impressed with CJ Stroud. Saw early HOU/JAX game and found myself watching him more than anyone. I remember telling people this guy is really something. I'd never seen him play in college and it was my first exposure, he was the real deal. There have been Ohio State QBs who struggled but he looks real coached. Has some background fundamentals at college level. Really good feet, manages pocket well, good feel for coverage and doesn't get fooled much, accurate.. hard to believe he's a rookie. Looking at Texas, rookie head coach and QB, first year offensive play caller, and tied for fewest turnovers and have 2nd most big passes in league, and on verge of making Playoffs. Nothing like that ever happens with that many first year people. It's very impressive.
Thanks for the recap! Great job.

Creeper

Reaction score
My first reaction to seeing the replay of the tripping penalty was it could have been holding on Hendershot. But when I saw it from another angle in full speed, I changed my mind. Hendershot turned him outside but I don't think he held him. It was actually really quick in at live speed. That is a judgement. The tripping is indisputable. Hendershot did not trip anyone or attempt to trip anyone. Even if they call offsetting penalties it favors Dallas and puts them in a position to run another minute off the clock. Calling no penalty gives Dallas a 2nd and 3 from the 22. From there I think Dallas gets the 1st down and ends the game. at worst they run a another minute off the clock before they kick off.

Aikman is right, Dak has to be more aware in that situation. He cannot throw a pass away like that. He has to at least try to get back to the LOS. The last thing he wants to do it stop the clock. If he was throwing a safe pass over the middle to an open receiver he thought would catch it and maybe run for the first down, or at least get close, I would be okay with that. But the low percentage deep pass they chose was a huge mistake in my opinion. I'd have to watch the play again but I thought Dak was not under severe pressure and I thought he had room to at least move up it get back to the LOS. If I recall, I don't think it was a deep drop on that play. A deep drop and sack may have been the only play worse than the one they ran.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My first reaction to seeing the replay of the tripping penalty was it could have been holding on Hendershot. But when I saw it from another angle in full speed, I changed my mind. Hendershot turned him outside but I don't think he held him. It was actually really quick in at live speed. That is a judgement. The tripping is indisputable. Hendershot did not trip anyone or attempt to trip anyone. Even if they call offsetting penalties it favors Dallas and puts them in a position to run another minute off the clock. Calling no penalty gives Dallas a 2nd and 3 from the 22. From there I think Dallas gets the 1st down and ends the game. at worst they run a another minute off the clock before they kick off.

Aikman is right, Dak has to be more aware in that situation. He cannot throw a pass away like that. He has to at least try to get back to the LOS. The last thing he wants to do it stop the clock. If he was throwing a safe pass over the middle to an open receiver he thought would catch it and maybe run for the first down, or at least get close, I would be okay with that. But the low percentage deep pass they chose was a huge mistake in my opinion. I'd have to watch the play again but I thought Dak was not under severe pressure and I thought he had room to at least move up it get back to the LOS. If I recall, I don't think it was a deep drop on that play. A deep drop and sack may have been the only play worse than the one they ran.
I think that's on the coaches as well. He needs to be reminded that if the pass isn't there, run and slide. Don't waste the down.

I wouldn't have minded using a play there with a delayed draw built in. Look for the quick pass, then hand it off if the pass is not there.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think that's on the coaches as well. He needs to be reminded that if the pass isn't there, run and slide. Don't waste the down.

I wouldn't have minded using a play there with a delayed draw built in. Look for the quick pass, then hand it off if the pass is not there.

Yeah, even if veteran, I would always put that stuff in their head. Listening to McCarthy's press conference he said there was a communication issue on him to Dak but no more details. I assumed it was that Dak got the wrong play, but it could have been what you're talking about. Maybe didn't remind Dak what to do? I jost know it was blown somewhere. McCarthy did admit that the Detroit defense came out how he wanted for the play he called. Something happened with Dak - either called wrong play or made a brain dead decision. Aikman bringing that up makes me feel some of it is on Dak.