Recap: Troy Aikman Show 12/14 Ticket FM - This team feels different this year, Slow referees & Buffalo

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/
  • I was unaware I had growing support for calling out slow referee reviews in games. The league has taken over with communication with officials and is a crutch. No one is willing to make a decision until they get confirmation from NY. It slows things up. How many times do you see a penalty only for the referee to say there was no penalty? I think it has penalized the officials and hearing the same from people who talk to them. Also, so many good officials have left the league for network jobs. They're paid more by the networks and that shouldn't be the case.
  • I think Tommy Devito is a fantastic story. Straight out of central casting with the family coming. I visited Tommy and he has a great story. Local kid, wins games, gives the team real life which they needed. Anyone's guess what his story will look like going forward.
  • Good teams win a lot of games and win at home. That's why they have the streak, 15 in a row. I have liked Dallas for a while but this team this year feels a little different to me. I don't know if everyone else feels that, but I sense the players do. Rests with them if they can close out the Division, and Philadelphia has to stumble.
  • I think it's all of the above on why they are different - coaching, QB play, etc. They weren't explosive at beginning of the year but back now. Dak is playing well. I think Dan Quinn, young players, good veteran players... and biggest thing on how they have played is it feels to me that they enjoy being around each other and playing together, and that's a big thing. You can't will that to happen. We had that on my teams too. It's a big part of teams that are successful. Rarely do you have Super Bowl winners who don't have that characteristic. Feels like this team has it more than other teams I've observed. Credit there goes to the players, staff and Jerry and Will McClay because you have to bring in the right people. I always feel like Jason Garrett did that, and it has continued. When you get around these players, you find they are good people, and have good chemistry. They may very well stumble this month, but the teams that are bonded and unified tend to handle it better. Every team has a bump in the road. This team has overcome them so far.
  • I think Dak's strengths are not only on the field, but what separates him are intangibles. Dak has been through a lot in his personal life, and not lost on anybody, but everyone in that locker room has their story as well, and their hardships. It's a melting pot in an NFL locker room. How do you get everyone on the same page? I think Dak has been able to communicate that and lead by example. Dak is about winning and not every QB in the NFL past and present has been about that. When your leader and spokesman who takes all criticism, and also speaks when things going well, but only interested in winning, and not statistics. He's a great person, leader, and represents city and locker room well. Players want to play for him, it's obvious they respect and like him.
  • (Asked Troy how do you think locker room feels about their kickers right now) Brandon Aubrey is loved right now, no doubt. I don't know what his range is yet. Looked like the balls last game were still high. What a weapon that becomes. Philadelphia had it with Jake Eliot and Dallas has it now, and that confidence that can come away with points anywhere on the field. Special Teams usually off on their own their own meetings, they don't have position meetings going on rest of day. Mike Saxon, our punter, used to leave camp and go home 3-4 hours. Some of these guys just lift weights in their free time and get jacked up. It's a pretty good job until game day and you better make the kick. No one really wants to talk to them when game is on the line. They live in their own world. I don't know how they manage the emotions and pressures of that job. As a QB, you're back under center whereas these guys may not get another chance the entire game. Imagine it's mental gymnastics.
  • I think Buffalo game will be tight. Buffalo is very inconsistent. Offensively they are not sharp. Defensively they have had injuries and not quite the unit as other years. But they are capable of putting it all together and Josh Allen is terrific. Great crowd, great environment, and they rally around their team. I didn't know the game was forecast for 20 mph winds but that affects a lot of things and probably benefits Dallas because they can run it. Has big implications on NFC. I have the Detroit/Dallas game, that game could be for a lot by time it rolls around.
  • (Thanked for his yearly participation in the Children's Cancer Fund, kids enjoy meeting him.) Those kids are the true tough and heroic ones. We use those terms in sports but these kids and their parents are going through a lot. Until we find a cure, I'll continue to be a part of it. Roger Staubach brought me in to be a co-chair with him. He stepped down last year. I did same for Dak. Dak is a co-chair with me now.

Scotman

Reaction score
  • I was unaware I had growing support for calling out slow referee reviews in games. The league has taken over with communication with officials and is a crutch. No one is willing to make a decision until they get confirmation from NY. It slows things up. How many times do you see a penalty only for the referee to say there was no penalty? I think it has penalized the officials and hearing the same from people who talk to them. Also, so many good officials have left the league for network jobs. They're paid more by the networks and that shouldn't be the case.
  • I think Tommy Devito is a fantastic story. Straight out of central casting with the family coming. I visited Tommy and he has a great story. Local kid, wins games, gives the team real life which they needed. Anyone's guess what his story will look like going forward.
  • Good teams win a lot of games and win at home. That's why they have the streak, 15 in a row. I have liked Dallas for a while but this team this year feels a little different to me. I don't know if everyone else feels that, but I sense the players do. Rests with them if they can close out the Division, and Philadelphia has to stumble.
  • I think it's all of the above on why they are different - coaching, QB play, etc. They weren't explosive at beginning of the year but back now. Dak is playing well. I think Dan Quinn, young players, good veteran players... and biggest thing on how they have played is it feels to me that they enjoy being around each other and playing together, and that's a big thing. You can't will that to happen. We had that on my teams too. It's a big part of teams that are successful. Rarely do you have Super Bowl winners who don't have that characteristic. Feels like this team has it more than other teams I've observed. Credit there goes to the players, staff and Jerry and Will McClay because you have to bring in the right people. I always feel like Jason Garrett did that, and it has continued. When you get around these players, you find they are good people, and have good chemistry. They may very well stumble this month, but the teams that are bonded and unified tend to handle it better. Every team has a bump in the road. This team has overcome them so far.
  • I think Dak's strengths are not only on the field, but what separates him are intangibles. Dak has been through a lot in his personal life, and not lost on anybody, but everyone in that locker room has their story as well, and their hardships. It's a melting pot in an NFL locker room. How do you get everyone on the same page? I think Dak has been able to communicate that and lead by example. Dak is about winning and not every QB in the NFL past and present has been about that. When your leader and spokesman who takes all criticism, and also speaks when things going well, but only interested in winning, and not statistics. He's a great person, leader, and represents city and locker room well. Players want to play for him, it's obvious they respect and like him.
  • (Asked Troy how do you think locker room feels about their kickers right now) Brandon Aubrey is loved right now, no doubt. I don't know what his range is yet. Looked like the balls last game were still high. What a weapon that becomes. Philadelphia had it with Jake Eliot and Dallas has it now, and that confidence that can come away with points anywhere on the field. Special Teams usually off on their own their own meetings, they don't have position meetings going on rest of day. Mike Saxon, our punter, used to leave camp and go home 3-4 hours. Some of these guys just lift weights in their free time and get jacked up. It's a pretty good job until game day and you better make the kick. No one really wants to talk to them when game is on the line. They live in their own world. I don't know how they manage the emotions and pressures of that job. As a QB, you're back under center whereas these guys may not get another chance the entire game. Imagine it's mental gymnastics.
  • I think Buffalo game will be tight. Buffalo is very inconsistent. Offensively they are not sharp. Defensively they have had injuries and not quite the unit as other years. But they are capable of putting it all together and Josh Allen is terrific. Great crowd, great environment, and they rally around their team. I didn't know the game was forecast for 20 mph winds but that affects a lot of things and probably benefits Dallas because they can run it. Has big implications on NFC. I have the Detroit/Dallas game, that game could be for a lot by time it rolls around.
  • (Thanked for his yearly participation in the Children's Cancer Fund, kids enjoy meeting him.) Those kids are the true tough and heroic ones. We use those terms in sports but these kids and their parents are going through a lot. Until we find a cure, I'll continue to be a part of it. Roger Staubach brought me in to be a co-chair with him. He stepped down last year. I did same for Dak. Dak is a co-chair with me now.
Thank you SO much for posting this. Brilliant read and I missed the interview.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the recap!!!!!!! Great job.
  • I was unaware I had growing support for calling out slow referee reviews in games.
The way the game is slowed down now is insane. When TV viewers can see a replay immediately and can see exactly what happened then the refs should also. Put a ref in the booth and lets move on. These big game delays are completely unnecessary. Booth reviews should take but a minute not several minutes only for them to announce what the viewers knew immediately.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

The way the game is slowed down now is insane. When TV viewers can see a replay immediately and can see exactly what happened then the refs should also. Put a ref in the booth and lets move on. These big game delays are completely unnecessary. Booth reviews should take but a minute not several minutes only for them to announce what the viewers knew immediately.
IF they wanted to fix or at least address the issues, they could. The fact they allow such to continue, tells you they don't.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yes. One “head ref” who’s accountable, highly paid, and will explain calls to the press should be able to sit in a booth with hi def monitors and rule immediately on obvious calls.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Think the Stadiums even see it first now with those giant screens in the modern arenas. LOL

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Thanks for the recap!

JBS

Reaction score
Is Troy suggesting that the league officials are in contact with the on field officials in regards to the two penalty flags that were picked up? This is the first I’ve heard of this. I’ve never seen the league intervene on a penalty being called. Of course the expedited review has been in place for a while now but that hasn’t been applied to penalties

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'm all for a ref in the booth, but I'm also for whatever it takes to get it right. If that slows down the game, I'd rather have a right call than a quick game.

rambo2

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. A great read.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman for Commissioner. :thumbup:
giphy.gif

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'm all for a ref in the booth, but I'm also for whatever it takes to get it right. If that slows down the game, I'd rather have a right call than a quick game.
I think you can mostly get both. Sure there are some sequences of events that involve multiple rules, etc. that would take some time to work thru. The vast majority though should be quick.

I think you should have a panel of 3 officials in a booth with all the camera views. They have a clock to make their vote. Majority rules. For example, a simple question of whether the LG held on a play to the right and should it be picked up because it had no bearing on the play. Quick & easy. Did a player commit an unsportsmanlike conduct on the same play that wasn't called on the field? Maybe they identify & decide on that within the specified time or not. If not, they buzz the field to hold the ball but they again have a clock within to make their ruling.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Slow reviews don't bother me.

Stupid calls by refs really irritate me.

Give me slow over stupid...

Troy and Joe Buck were anxious for half-time this week...Buck referenced cold meatballs...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think you can mostly get both. Sure there are some sequences of events that involve multiple rules, etc. that would take some time to work thru. The vast majority though should be quick.

I think you should have a panel of 3 officials in a booth with all the camera views. They have a clock to make their vote. Majority rules. For example, a simple question of whether the LG held on a play to the right and should it be picked up because it had no bearing on the play. Quick & easy. Did a player commit an unsportsmanlike conduct on the same play that wasn't called on the field? Maybe they identify & decide on that within the specified time or not. If not, they buzz the field to hold the ball but they again have a clock within to make their ruling.
I agree that they could take some measures to make it faster. I just care more about them getting it right.

quickccc

Reaction score

Thanks for Sharing,...

I think Troy and Jason were great teammates .. i think I may leave his comments on JG at that. ....
.. :popcorn: