Recap: Troy Aikman Show 12/21 Ticket FM-

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Tried to recap this live yesterday but got tied up. Here ya go. #8's weekly insightful experienced pull no punches take:

https://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/
  • No surprise that feelings for team have changed. Happens around league. We knew this was toughest part of schedule. Similar to what Philadelphia just went through and they are reeling. Another tough one this week with Miami, and we call the Detroit game. Hopefully they can get it turned around.
  • The formula to compete against Dallas is already known. Buffalo did nothing novel. No one in league picked anything up. Dallas pass rush is so dominant you cannot get in a situation where you are just dropping back and throwing the football. The league understands this and have to be able to run the football. But you also have to have a defense that can hold their offense down. Gets taken away pretty quickly if you let Dallas offense score.
  • That's what San Francisco has done. They understand this. Is Miami capable of playing that type of game? Yes. And with Mike McDaniels being from San Francisco, he understands it as well as anyone. So expect same type of stuff and question if Dallas offense can run them out of it, or they're in trouble.
  • Mike McDaniel is amazing what he has done. No one in coaching circles even thought he would get the job. He had been with Shanahan since Mike. A lot of what San Fran had done up to that point is because McDaniel. Now you see it in Miami, they do similar things, but different personnel so they go about it differently. He's been every bit as creative as he was with 49ers. Fun to watch. His personality is obviously unique compared to other coaches. But what's obvious to me is he has a connection with his players and that's the key. They respect him and play hard, and he has reached them. We unfortunately haven't covered the Dolphins since I joined ESPN but whenever I have a chance to watch them I do because I enjoy the way they play the game.
  • (Is Hard Knocks distracting?) We had a crew one week in Dallas. Seven days to Sunday, we were playing Vikings. It was before Hard Knocks. I don't remember it being very intrusive. But I know in visiting with coaches/players, in training camp, it is a distraction. Most coaches/players would rather not be on Hard Knocks and have every word filmed. But it's what they have to deal with nowadays. It's an extension of social media and fan access. I think it's good for the game. People have enjoyed watching them. Last one I saw was the Jets. But yes, it is a different atmosphere for players and coaches and I would guess many of them feel it is a violation of their domain. It is what it is. When you're told you will be a part of it, I think the ones that make it work are the ones that embrace it. Nothing they can do.
  • (Last 10 Super Bowl Champions, only 1 team had a losing record away. Dallas is 3-4 with 2 road games.) When you play at home, everything that happens positive is exaggerated because of crowd. And when on road, negative things are exaggerated because the crowd is against you. I don't know if it's a mindset but you have to understand that when things aren't going well, they're not as bad as they seem. I thought Jimmy Johnson always did a good job about it, including his Miami days. He was good at quieting the crowd, you against the world, and getting the team in right state of mind.
  • It's just harder to win on road. And combine that with good teams.... Buffalo, we know what they're capable of and their backs were against walls. Of course Philadelphia and SF. The one that may haunt them is Arizona. But BUF, PHI and SF are three tough opponents and another one coming. Would you like a better showing in Buffalo? Sure, but it's part of it. A lot of it is the teams they played. If they played them at home they would have a chance, but those were good teams. The worry is where they will be positioned in postseason, and can they play better on road against good opponents?
  • SF and BAL are the two #1 teams. The MVP vote always happens in season, and I feel they should wait for the Playoffs. If I were voting, I would vote for Purdy. I think Christian McCaffrey has been a huge part of their success, but for a position that handles the ball as much as a QB does, I find it hard not to go his direction. And of course, Lamar Jackson, people are mentioning him as well, but I would guess Brock Purdy is going to win and would liken it a lot to what happened to Kurt Warner, an unknown coming right out of the gate and taking his team far. It's incredible. I've heard from people Brock is a system QB, but I haven't heard it from ANY former QBs. People who haven't played the position take for granted some of the throws he has made that make the difference. All QBs know that Team matters. I can't recall a game where two teams appeared so evenly matched going in. Both teams pride themselves in being the most physical team.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Facts. Jerry paid PUDGY Romo...let that sink in. Never. Forget.
Not nearly as much as he paid Dak, who is essentially a carbon copy of Romo when comparing statistics and playoff accomplishments.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
  • Mike McDaniel is amazing what he has done. No one in coaching circles even thought he would get the job. He had been with Shanahan since Mike. A lot of what San Fran had done up to that point is because McDaniel. Now you see it in Miami, they do similar things, but different personnel so they go about it differently. He's been every bit as creative as he was with 49ers. Fun to watch. His personality is obviously unique compared to other coaches. But what's obvious to me is he has a connection with his players and that's the key. They respect him and play hard, and he has reached them. We unfortunately haven't covered the Dolphins since I joined ESPN but whenever I have a chance to watch them I do because I enjoy the way they play the game.
A) Thanks for the bullet points. I'd say most of us appreciate that.

B). Bolded above: I've been watching Hard Knocks. McDaniel is definitely different. Not really the type of guy you'd picture as head coaching material, but obviously the guy is doing something right down there in Miami. With any luck, I'm watching an episode of them talking about a loss on Tuesday. lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
Tried to recap this live yesterday but got tied up. Here ya go. #8's weekly insightful experienced pull no punches take:

https://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/
  • No surprise that feelings for team have changed. Happens around league. We knew this was toughest part of schedule. Similar to what Philadelphia just went through and they are reeling. Another tough one this week with Miami, and we call the Detroit game. Hopefully they can get it turned around.
  • The formula to compete against Dallas is already known. Buffalo did nothing novel. No one in league picked anything up. Dallas pass rush is so dominant you cannot get in a situation where you are just dropping back and throwing the football. The league understands this and have to be able to run the football. But you also have to have a defense that can hold their offense down. Gets taken away pretty quickly if you let Dallas offense score.
  • That's what San Francisco has done. They understand this. Is Miami capable of playing that type of game? Yes. And with Mike McDaniels being from San Francisco, he understands it as well as anyone. So expect same type of stuff and question if Dallas offense can run them out of it, or they're in trouble.
  • (Is Hard Knocks distracting?) We had a crew one week in Dallas. Seven days to Sunday, we were playing Vikings. It was before Hard Knocks. I don't remember it being very intrusive. But I know in visiting with coaches/players, in training camp, it is a distraction. Most coaches/players would rather not be on Hard Knocks and have every word filmed. But it's what they have to deal with nowadays. It's an extension of social media and fan access. I think it's good for the game. People have enjoyed watching them. Last one I saw was the Jets. But yes, it is a different atmosphere for players and coaches and I would guess many of them feel it is a violation of their domain. It is what it is. When you're told you will be a part of it, I think the ones that make it work are the ones that embrace it. Nothing they can do.
  • (Last 10 Super Bowl Champions, only 1 team had a losing record away. Dallas is 3-4 with 2 road games.) When you play at home, everything that happens positive is exaggerated because of crowd. And when on road, negative things are exaggerated because the crowd is against you. I don't know if it's a mindset but you have to understand that when things aren't going well, they're not as bad as they seem. I thought Jimmy Johnson always did a good job about it, including his Miami days. He was good at quieting the crowd, you against the world, and getting the team in right state of mind.
  • It's just harder to win on road. And combine that with good teams.... Buffalo, we know what they're capable of and their backs were against walls. Of course Philadelphia and SF. The one that may haunt them is Arizona. But BUF, PHI and SF are three tough opponents and another one coming. Would you like a better showing in Buffalo? Sure, but it's part of it. A lot of it is the teams they played. If they played them at home they would have a chance, but those were good teams. The worry is where they will be positioned in postseason, and can they play better on road against good opponents?
  • SF and BAL are the two #1 teams. The MVP vote always happens in season, and I feel they should wait for the Playoffs. If I were voting, I would vote for Purdy. I think Christian McCaffrey has been a huge part of their success, but for a position that handles the ball as much as a QB does, I find it hard not to go his direction. And of course, Lamar Jackson, people are mentioning him as well, but I would guess Brock Purdy is going to win and would liken it a lot to what happened to Kurt Warner, an unknown coming right out of the gate and taking his team far. It's incredible. I've heard from people Brock is a system QB, but I haven't heard it from ANY former QBs. People who haven't played the position take for granted some of the throws he has made that make the difference. All QBs know that Team matters. I can't recall a game where two teams appeared so evenly matched going in. Both teams pride themselves in being the most physical team.
Thanks!
That was great stuff. Just so spot on

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not nearly as much as he paid Dak, who is essentially a carbon copy of Romo when comparing statistics and playoff accomplishments.
Which is amazing for Romo, given that numbers have gone up across the board every year, yet Romo (who started a decade earlier) has the same numbers.
A 95 QB rating in 2006 equates to a 106 or so in 2023
Much easier now...and it was easier for QBs in the Romo era than it was for those in the Aikman era...etc

DripTooHard

Reaction score

This is worth a watch in reference to Six Days to Sunday referenced by Troy. I watched it back in 1995.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is amazing for Romo, given that numbers have gone up across the board every year, yet Romo (who started a decade earlier) has the same numbers.
A 95 QB rating in 2006 equates to a 106 or so in 2023
Much easier now...and it was easier for QBs in the Romo era than it was for those in the Aikman era...etc
Would you say football in general is "easier " these days?

Watching old school football man that was rough on everyone.