Recap: Troy Aikman Show 12/7/23 Ticket FM - Philly and SF Matchups, Dak Possible MVP, Coach Mac Missing Game

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/
  • I think the bigger point if Coach McCarthy were to miss is he is the offensive playcaller. I'm interested what the contingency plans are if that happens, but from what I've heard he will be on the sidelines. This is a big game with implications.
  • I've been impressed with Philadelphia running through their gauntlet of games that has been as tough as you can have, starting with Miami in Week 7. You had to believe they would lose one of those games and they didn't.
  • I'm sure Philly is licking their wounds from San Francisco, and think something to be said when you lose a game. It hardens you and gets you focused. And you are usually a better team with more of an edge. Had Philadelphia been able to win last week, takes a little bit of weight off the game because they could afford to lose one.
  • I still think Philly is really good. I know how San Francisco handled Dallas. But you still have to do it. It's a week-to-week league. No guarantees that SF will continue to play at that level or not have key injuries, so Philadelphia, and Dallas too, are as good as anyone in football.
  • I don't care for these power rankings, but many have Dallas outside the Top 5 which is surprising to me.
  • I'm curious how this game shakes out and how Dallas is able to perform with the understanding that they are about to enter their stretch of schedule that Philadelphia just wound down.
  • Dak is doing everything asked from a QB. Confidence, chemistry with receivers. And you want it at this point of the season. The reason I've always been a big fan of his is the intangibles. How his teammates enjoy playing with him. The work he puts in, the leadership, all of that matters. He has had stretches where he played great in his career, and he had stretches where he didn't play well, but that's true of all great QBs. You just have to keep fighting through it and he has done that. If he keeps it up he could very well find himself as the league MVP which would be pretty awesome.
  • I think part of Hurts problems are developing comfort level with his new OC. They lost both coordinators! Shane Steichen probably didn't get enough credit what he meant for their success. Ran ball early in year but didn't pass well and then it changed. But that's beauty of Philadelphia, they can play either way.
  • All same things I say about Dak, you can say about Hurts. Philly loves playing for him. Great leader too. This is a great matchup.
  • (Radio Host asked Troy what would happen if Head of Security pushed someone on 90's Team like Charles Haley) It wouldn't have been as diplomatic as what you saw last week. Physical, violent intense game, things can happen. I was impressed with way both teams addressed it. I'm with Shanahan, the tradeoff didn't seem right. Lose a great player like Greenlaw for Dom?
  • I don't see anyone challenging PHI, SF, DAL and maybe DET in NFC. Teams get on runs, it can happen. Green Bay starting one and feeling good. They are a young team so could be interesting. It's fun that Dallas is in thick of things. That one bye now though I think puts everyone on level footing. Even though people say teams have won it before with out it, I still think it's really important to have home and the bye week.
  • Problem with Dallas in years past is they couldn't match intensity of San Francisco. This year though I think they can play that style and so can Philadelphia and Detroit. How that shakes out will be fun to watch and there will be some incredible ball games.
  • Watching tape, looks like Jordan Love is starting to figure things out. More comfortable, more accurate, more confident, we have them on Monday Night. They are youngest team in NFL, which doesn't bode well for rest of NFC North.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Troy always seems to have a reserved, clear-eyed take on things...in contrast to some of his more excitable, hyperbolic media colleagues.

Can't disagree with any of the above bullet-points.
I have no idea what you're talking about. :grin:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My goodness.......thanks for posting this

He nailed it about Hurts and his new OC. Many ( myself included ) have said something about the Eagles offense has been off this year. Same talent, seems they are not as hungry or all not on the same page.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Troy is being nice and politically correct when talking about Hurts and the eagles offense.
He knows Hurts although he’s a great athlete and person an NFL QB he’s not. A good leader umm maybe, I find that hard to believe.
I don’t need a tv or radio personality to form my opinion on things I see with my own eyes about a game I grew up playing and know

CCBoy

Reaction score
  • I think the bigger point if Coach McCarthy were to miss is he is the offensive playcaller. I'm interested what the contingency plans are if that happens, but from what I've heard he will be on the sidelines. This is a big game with implications.
  • I've been impressed with Philadelphia running through their gauntlet of games that has been as tough as you can have, starting with Miami in Week 7. You had to believe they would lose one of those games and they didn't.
  • I'm sure Philly is licking their wounds from San Francisco, and think something to be said when you lose a game. It hardens you and gets you focused. And you are usually a better team with more of an edge. Had Philadelphia been able to win last week, takes a little bit of weight off the game because they could afford to lose one.
  • I still think Philly is really good. I know how San Francisco handled Dallas. But you still have to do it. It's a week-to-week league. No guarantees that SF will continue to play at that level or not have key injuries, so Philadelphia, and Dallas too, are as good as anyone in football.
  • I don't care for these power rankings, but many have Dallas outside the Top 5 which is surprising to me.
  • I'm curious how this game shakes out and how Dallas is able to perform with the understanding that they are about to enter their stretch of schedule that Philadelphia just wound down.
  • Dak is doing everything asked from a QB. Confidence, chemistry with receivers. And you want it at this point of the season. The reason I've always been a big fan of his is the intangibles. How his teammates enjoy playing with him. The work he puts in, the leadership, all of that matters. He has had stretches where he played great in his career, and he had stretches where he didn't play well, but that's true of all great QBs. You just have to keep fighting through it and he has done that. If he keeps it up he could very well find himself as the league MVP which would be pretty awesome.
  • I think part of Hurts problems are developing comfort level with his new OC. They lost both coordinators! Shane Steichen probably didn't get enough credit what he meant for their success. Ran ball early in year but didn't pass well and then it changed. But that's beauty of Philadelphia, they can play either way.
  • All same things I say about Dak, you can say about Hurts. Philly loves playing for him. Great leader too. This is a great matchup.
  • (Radio Host asked Troy what would happen if Head of Security pushed someone on 90's Team like Charles Haley) It wouldn't have been as diplomatic as what you saw last week. Physical, violent intense game, things can happen. I was impressed with way both teams addressed it. I'm with Shanahan, the tradeoff didn't seem right. Lose a great player like Greenlaw for Dom?
  • I don't see anyone challenging PHI, SF, DAL and maybe DET in NFC. Teams get on runs, it can happen. Green Bay starting one and feeling good. They are a young team so could be interesting. It's fun that Dallas is in thick of things. That one bye now though I think puts everyone on level footing. Even though people say teams have won it before with out it, I still think it's really important to have home and the bye week.
  • Problem with Dallas in years past is they couldn't match intensity of San Francisco. This year though I think they can play that style and so can Philadelphia and Detroit. How that shakes out will be fun to watch and there will be some incredible ball games.
  • Watching tape, looks like Jordan Love is starting to figure things out. More comfortable, more accurate, more confident, we have them on Monday Night. They are youngest team in NFL, which doesn't bode well for rest of NFC North.
Good summary...it does carry metal.

NFC

Philadelphia 10-2
Dallas 9-3
Detroit 9-3
San Francisco 9-3

AFC

Miami 9-3
Baltimore 9-3
Jacksonville 8-4
Kansas City 8-4

Those teams will adapt individually over the next 5 games. That has to be seen although and not insulted concerning which!

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Troy is being nice and politically correct when talking about Hurts and the eagles offense.
He knows Hurts although he’s a great athlete and person an NFL QB he’s not. A good leader umm maybe, I find that hard to believe.
I don’t need a tv or radio personality to form my opinion on things I see with my own eyes about a game I grew up playing and know
So you think a team can reach the Super Bowl with a guy who's "not an NFL QB."

I think it's safe to say that Troy does not in fact secretly agree you and isn't just being "nice and politically correct."

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
So you think a team can reach the Super Bowl with a guy who's "not an NFL QB."

I think it's safe to say that Troy does not in fact secretly agree you and isn't just being "nice and politically correct."
Bhendri blinded by his Eagles hate. Give into the dark side Bhendri.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Another good recap! Thanks, Vaquero!