True order of Cowboys QBs

kskboys

Reaction score
And where's the cutoff? Does Morton count? He was a very good QB. Do short termers count?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, Morton makes the list somewhere

Regardless of order...
Man, the legacy at QB in Dallas is real strong

JustChip

Reaction score
Meredith was better than White. Really not close. He's prolly #2 on your list.

Absolutely. And better than Romo. Meredith QBed an expansion team to the NFC Championship game in 6 years. People also don't realize or simply forget that the QBs called the plays at that time - none of the personnel grouping and set specialization we have now. For those who never saw it, Meredith to Bullet Bob Hayes was a thing of beauty.

Frankly, I would put Aikman above Romo, too. And that's not based solely on the fact that Troy won 3 Super Bowls, although those certainly play a part.

kskboys

Reaction score
Absolutely. And better than Romo. Meredith QBed an expansion team to the NFC Championship game in 6 years. People also don't realize or simply forget that the QBs called the plays at that time - none of the personnel grouping and set specialization we have now. For those who never saw it, Meredith to Bullet Bob Hayes was a thing of beauty.

Frankly, I would put Aikman above Romo, too. And that's not based solely on the fact that Troy won 3 Super Bowls, although those certainly play a part.
Romo and White would be real close.

JustChip

Reaction score
Morton would prolly be right there w/ them. Most don't realize that he was a very good QB.

For whatever reason, I just never saw Morton in the same light as Meredith or Staubach. He was certainly was a strong-armed and gifted passer, but I just never felt like he had the "it" factor.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I think Meredith is under rated because he played so long ago and never won a championship but that guy was a warrior and really took a beating . He came up short but got us there .

JustChip

Reaction score
I think Meredith is under rated because he played so long ago and never won a championship but that guy was a warrior and really took a beating . He came up short but got us there .

Also because most fans today never saw him play. They bow down to the holy grail of stats to determine QB rankings. Stats are certainly germane, but they are not the be all, end all and do not translate between eras.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Also because most fans today never saw him play. They bow down to the holy grail of stats to determine QB rankings. Stats are certainly germane, but they are not the be all, end all and do not translate between eras.

Watching players have a shootout like Mahomes and Goff the other week in enclosed stadiums cant really compare to what it took of a man to play in the Ice Bowl . Don Meredith played in a time where the QB was basically a big Game Animal in open season . It took a different kind of man to do that job there was no protection from the league like there is now .

JustChip

Reaction score
Watching players have a shootout like Mahomes and Goff the other week in enclosed stadiums cant really compare to what it took of a man to play in the Ice Bowl . Don Meredith played in a time where the QB was basically a big Game Animal in open season . It took a different kind of man to do that job there was no protection from the league like there is now .

Exactly. The Ice Bowl wouldn't be played today. Lance Rentzel talked about the fact that Meredith's jaw was frozen and couldn't clearly annunciate the play call in the huddle and snap count at the line.

I'm not a fan of this video game football we have today. The Chiefs and Rams are nothing more than a higher level of Big 12 brand football. I still believe defense ultimately wins out in the playoffs, particularly outside in inclement weather. Rams won't face the later, but it might well be an issue for KC.

Blackrain

Reaction score
1. Staubach
2. Romo
3. Aikman
4. White
5. Meredith
6. Prescott

:grin:

Im not sure what our criteria is in ranking these players . Passing , Stats, Rushing, Super Bowls , Winning , Hall Of Fame , Pro Bowls, longevity , availability , durability , Value to our Franchise Versatility Im going with ALL OF THE ABOVE.

One thing is before you rank them you had to see all of them play in the moment or you are not really qualified . I saw Meredith play but my better memories were of him in the booth with Howard and Frank

Ranking the players I saw at an age where I watched and understood football

1. Roger Staubach
2. Troy Aikman
3. Danny White because he was also our punter and gave us versatility and an extra roster spot
4. Craig Morton . Took 2 different teams to SB at opposite end of his career . Pretty special guy to do that
5. Tony Romo Great Passer close to Aikman in that area
6. Dak Prescott Story yet to be written

Blackrain

Reaction score
Exactly. The Ice Bowl wouldn't be played today. Lance Rentzel talked about the fact that Meredith's jaw was frozen and couldn't clearly annunciate the play call in the huddle and snap count at the line.

I'm not a fan of this video game football we have today. The Chiefs and Rams are nothing more than a higher level of Big 12 brand football. I still believe defense ultimately wins out in the playoffs, particularly outside in inclement weather. Rams won't face the later, but it might well be an issue for KC.

I have watched that game over many times and although I was too young to understand how special the game was in the moment the players that survived that game hold a special place in my heart. What a group of men !!

sean10mm

Reaction score
If you compare the QBs to the other top QBs when they played, I'd rank it like this:

1) Staubach - #1 with a bullet. He was basically a football killbot like Aaron Rodgers, but way more clutch and without the prima donna backbiter persona. He put the Cowboys on the NFL map. I don't think it's particularly close, honestly.
2) Aikman - You can't argue with 3 rings, and his passing efficiency in the 3 Super Bowl runs was simply INSANE. Practically every game was a 100+ passer rating, it was legitimately insane by 1990s standards. His regular season passing was overshadowed by guys like Favre and Young, but you really have to split hairs to try to tear down a Hall of Famer with 3 rings.

3-5) Then it's everyone else. To me Romo, White and Meredith are all guys who were unfairly vilified by garbage Cowboys fans for "only" being very good instead of Hall of Fame caliber. Many Super Bowls have been won with worse players than any of these 3, and it can't all be put on them.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Normally, I'd rank Aikman above Romo (how can you not rank a guy with 3 Super Bowl rings above a guy with just 2 playoff wins?), but they are in such different circumstances that it's very difficult to do a fair analysis. For a good portion of his career, Aikman was absolutely spoiled. He had Emmitt, Irvin, Jimmy as coach, the best offensive line in football, and a top-notch defense - but even more importantly, the rest of the league sucked. Other than the Niners, there just wasn't a true rival to Dallas between 1992-1995. Romo never had that luxury; there were always teams in the NFL much better than Dallas when he was playing (Patriots, Steelers, Seahawks, Rodgers' Packers, etc.)

Put Aikman in Romo's shoes and he might only have 2 playoff wins, too.

kskboys

Reaction score
For whatever reason, I just never saw Morton in the same light as Meredith or Staubach. He was certainly was a strong-armed and gifted passer, but I just never felt like he had the "it" factor.
Oh, no, he was comparable to White and Romo, not Staubach or Meredith.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Oh, no, he was comparable to White and Romo, not Staubach or Meredith.

He played 17 years took 2 teams to SBs even threw 5 TDs in a game . He is kind of an overlooked guy in the big scheme of things but has some accomplishments Romo and White didn't achieve . Very hard to compare these guys of different eras .

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I ranked Romo above Aikman because we know that he won 3 rings but what did he do after free agency completely disassembled the super teams that Jimmy assembled? I understand that it is a team game but Aikman didn't elevate those late 90s teams.

Romo made some mediocre teams competitive. He was running for his life behind patchwork OLs until they finally started building it up. He propped up garrot and made his sorry scheme work but he will never get the full credit he deserves. I've always wondered what Romo could've done with the teams that Staubach and Aikman had. I believe that they would've won as many if not more titles.

You guys are correct when you say that Meredith is underrated because of how long ago he played. I am only 38 so I didn't even get to see Rodger play. Danny White was the first guy I can remember...