Trust plan gives players option after getting cut

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There will be about 1200 cuts before August 31st deadline to trim rosters to 53 players. There will be something more than a pink slip to walk away from at the end of their NFL careers.

The Trust is a multi- pronged benefits program created out of the 2011 collective bargaining agreement which offers players with two or more credited years in the NFL a scholarship to continue their education, health screenings and gym memberships.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...a-plan-b-when-careers-end-suddenly/ar-AAG1AvG

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While the average NFL players salary is about 2 million a year that number is skewed by by the enormous numbers paid to the top players. The majority of players earn the league minimum which this season will be $378,000 for a rookie up to $473,000 for a 5th year player.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The trust came into play in 2013 after the league and union negotiated a number of benefits designed to better the retirements and recognize the efforts of the thousands of NFL retirees.

The fact is that when you leave the NFL , there are no avenues out there where most players can apply that skill set and keep on working.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The story said that the average length of a NFL career is about 4 years. And average earnings for those is about 2 million for length of their career. Thats not enough to secure you for remainder of your life.

Engineers are coming out of college making up to 200 grand a year one of the tops coming out of college for a non medical profession . And they can earn at or well above that level rest of their life.

I always hear fans complaining about what some players make but most make minimum for an average of 4 years. Then what?

We must not have a highly skilled professional fan base on this site if 300+ grand for 4 years sets them up for life. Lol

DcFootball4

Reaction score
The bigger issue is what line of work will they be qualified for after their NFL careers.

Wouldn't that be a good reason to finish college though before entering the draft? Then they would have their career after football and a fat bank account.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be a good reason to finish college though before entering the draft? Then they would have their career after football and a fat bank account.
In an idea situation , yes. But you probably should come out when your draft slot is optimized.

Flamma

Reaction score
While the average NFL players salary is about 2 million a year that number is skewed by by the enormous numbers paid to the top players.

That's why it's better to use median salary. Which is around 770k a year. That's not an average. It means that the same amount of players make more and less than that number.

The bigger issue is what line of work will they be qualified for after their NFL careers.

I don't see it as a big issue. It's a no brainer. Either finish out your college or you don't. Either way many of them may need to find a job similar to everyone else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How is that the NFL's problem? Should McDonald's also be responsible for the career prospects of the guy making fries?
Obviously the players union has taken an interest in players after their careers are over.

It’s not the NFL’s problem but most careers are not subject to less than an average 5 years. These guys need to find a career beyond the NFL.

If McDonalds only had the “ guy making fries” limited to a 4.3 year career then yes, I might expect them to assist him in his next career.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's why it's better to use median salary. Which is around 770k a year. That's not an average. It means that the same amount of players make more and less than that number.

I don't see it as a big issue. It's a no brainer. Either finish out your college or you don't. Either way many of them may need to find a job similar to everyone else.
I’m trying to think of other careers coming out of college with an average shelf life of 4.3 years?

It is highly unusual. I think it’s appropriate to have an assistance program in place. Obviously the league and players union agrees.

John813

Reaction score
The story said that the average length of a NFL career is about 4 years. And average earnings for those is about 2 million for length of their career. Thats not enough to secure you for remainder of your life.

Engineers are coming out of college making up to 200 grand a year one of the tops coming out of college for a non medical profession . And they can earn at or well above that level rest of their life.

I always hear fans complaining about what some players make but most make minimum for an average of 4 years. Then what?

We must not have a highly skilled professional fan base on this site if 300+ grand for 4 years sets them up for life. Lol

Say what?

200k per year without your professional engineers license?
What type of engineering profession offers 200k out the gate?
I know some that went into oil/gas companies that paid close to 90-100k out the gate. Not out in the field, but working for Chevron/Shell in the office.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Say what?

200k per year without your professional engineers license?
What type of engineering profession offers 200k out the gate?
I know some that went into oil/gas companies that paid close to 90-100k out the gate. Not out in the field, but working for Chevron/Shell in the office.
I said up to 200. That definitely would be the highest end. Usually 100-150. Yes, chemical/ petroleum engineers.

ghst187

Reaction score
But how many still keep playing football, just because you don’t stick with NFL doesn’t mean you can’t get paid to play football, there’s Canadian, Europe, etc....semi-pro....coaching....
The guys with half a brain have options plus a huge head start on life if they made two million the first few years out of college.