Trying not to get caught up in the hype.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Hey, everyone is giving their picks, I have great confidence that Dallas scouting department has done their homework if last year is any indication. Here's hoping that we pick up a good kicker in FA. I think filling the O-line with future starters is a really smart way to go.

Here's players I've picked mostly because they sound like they can handle the pressure of a Parcells environment. Hard working, character guys. I'm a fan of multiplying picks if we do as well as we did last year.

Trade down with any of Indy, Pitt or Seattle for the pair of 1st and second rounders.

Bottom of the first.
D'Qwell Jackson ILB, move him to OLB

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 231 | 40-Time: 4.65

Official Bio

Strengths:
Incredibly instinctive and smart football player who is like an extra coach on the field...Is a pretty good natural athlete and has a burst...Makes plays sideline-to-sideline and has good range...Is a sure tackler...Very solid in coverage...Has a lot of experience...Possesses great intangibles and has a fire in his belly that drives him to be the best...Extremely productive and is always around the ball.

Weaknesses:
Lacks ideal size...Doesn't have great timed speed...Struggles to shed blockers...Can be engulfed and handled by players who are much bigger than he is...Could stand to hit the weights and get stronger...Is not a lights-out hitter...Might need to be in the right scheme to succeed at the next level.

Notes:
Could move to OLB at the pro level...One of the premier linebackers in college football as a senior...Physically he doesn't have everything you look for but his production and intangibles more than make up for his lack of ideal measurables.

Middle Second
Charles Spencer OG
, keep him as a eventual replacement, for Larry Allen.
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 330 | 40-Time: 5.15

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has great size and a large frame...Is an excellent athlete...Moves well and has good feet for a man of his dimensions...Is extremely strong and powerful...An outstanding run blocker...Shows flashes of dominance at times...Versatile with experience at both left guard and left tackle...Has a defensive players attitude and mindset...A team leader and hard worker...Still improving and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Needs to work on his technique and master the nuances of a single position...Did not have a great senior season when he was moved to tackle and struggled with speed rushers...Dealt with knee and shoulder injuries early in his career...Raw and needs development since he doesn't have a lot of experience on offense.

Notes:
Played defensive tackle his first two seasons at Pitt...Moved to the offensive side of the ball as a junior and really took to it...Could project to either guard or right tackle at the next level...Has the tools you look for and a lot of potential.

Late Second
Davin Joseph OG,
use him as a possible replacement as well.
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 312 | 40-Time: 5.12

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has a wide frame and long arms...Is a pretty good athlete and moves well inside at guard...Tough and very strong...Packs quite an initial punch...Aggressive and plays with a nasty demeanor on the field...Smart and very technically sound...Is effective as both a run and pass blocker...A hard worker with excellent intangibles who wants to improve...Has a lot of experience against top competition.

Weaknesses:
Lacks great height...Footwork is only average...Becomes much less effective and doesn't look nearly as athletic when asked to move outside...Can do a better job of getting to the second level...Can improve his conditioning to help increase stamina...Struggled a little when he was moved to left tackle as a senior.

Notes:
Could possibly see some time at tackle but is a much better fit at guard...Has been overshadowed throughout his career but has consistently graded out very high for one of the better offensive lines in the nation...Should start very early on

If Safety is not filled, I'm not against Pat Watkins, but Roman Harper S will be a good player, he certainly puts forth the effort. A good pick, probable backup who could really develop in a year or two, pick him in the later rounds.

Roman Harper S
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 200 | 40-Time: 4.60

Official Bio

Strengths:
Smart and possesses great instincts...A leader who is like an extra coach on the field...Tough and very physical...Supports the run well...A playmaker who is always around the ball...Has a lot of experience...Versatile and has played both free and strong safety...Intangibles are off the charts and coaches are sure to love him...Consistent and you know what you will get from him each and every week.

Weaknesses:
Lacks outstanding measurables in terms of size, speed and athleticism...Is only average in coverage...Lacks fluid hips and doesn't have great range...Doesn't have the physical tools to recover from mistakes...Lacks explosiveness and won't make the spectacular play...Stock may have been elevated by his college press clippings...Won't get much better and doesn't have a lot of upside.

Notes:
The type who does everything well but nothing great...Makes everyone around him better...May not be the biggest or fastest guy out there but he is a true football player...Every good team has a player like this on their squad.

Hey, I think that Dallas should get some offensive lineman who can come in as backups and push the rest of the O-line to step it up or get shipped out. The O-line of the early 90's was the model, if we can get close to that again, we'll be doing great! The key is to find guys who are willing to work. These 2 OG's seem like the kind we need.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I like Spencer.
I think he could actually start for us at RT and move inside to G later.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
Strengths:
Incredibly instinctive and smart football player who is like an extra coach on the field...Is a pretty good natural athlete and has a burst...Makes plays sideline-to-sideline and has good range...Is a sure tackler...Very solid in coverage...

sounds like a MLB in the 3-4 to me, except for the part about struggling shedding blocks, but that was one of Burnett's weaknesses coming out of college too

this guy needs his 3-down lineman to control blockers to let him run around

wick

Reaction score
nathanlt said:
D'Qwell Jackson ILB, move him to OLB

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 231 | 40-Time: 4.65

Parcells will not draft undersized linebackers. Jackson is simply not an option for the Cowboys.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Dqwell came in at 6-0 228 at Senior Bowl. Just don't see us going for that small a LB.

We draft 2 Guards day 1 I'm mad.

I like the Harper pick.

jeff

Reaction score
TO QUICKDRAW: I wouldn't disagree with any of your statements (especially no true Cowboy fan would want TO), except Vince Young. He might not be prototypical, but he's going to be the real deal. Maybe most like a faster, bigger Steve McNair in his prime.

Anyway, I'm not so familiar with Jackson. Love Spencer if he's available in the second, which I can't see. If you're looking for lineman, why not take McNeal or some big roadgrader for the right side?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Nors said:
Dqwell came in at 6-0 228 at Senior Bowl. Just don't see us going for that small a LB.

We draft 2 Guards day 1 I'm mad.

I like the Harper pick.
I'm afraid I have to agree. Guy is way to small - maybe if his weight was around 260 then maybe height wouldn't matter.

One guard is enough in the first 3 rounds - remember we still have good prospects already we could use at guard. Gurode didn't look half bad against Carolina when JJ ripped off a couple hundred yards on the ground.

nathanlt

Reaction score
My point is that one of the guys will end up being a backup at both guard and tackle, and with an outside shot of being a starting tackle. The other guard can replace Larry Allen when the time comes.

Maybe the outside LB is too small. I sure like his work ethic, character and intangibles. I seem to remember that Dat was too small as well.

I'll still be able to sleep at night if "my guys" aren't picked!

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure BP would prefer a 6-3/250 ILB who is faster than Jackson and has been in his system for 3 years already at UVA (Parham).

Or maybe Carpenter who goes 255 and is also faster than Jakcson.

Jackson will end up at SS or ILB in a Tampa 2 somewhere 20-30 yards downfield 1/3 of the time.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
nathanlt said:
My point is that one of the guys will end up being a backup at both guard and tackle, and with an outside shot of being a starting tackle. The other guard can replace Larry Allen when the time comes.

Maybe the outside LB is too small. I sure like his work ethic, character and intangibles. I seem to remember that Dat was too small as well.

I'll still be able to sleep at night if "my guys" aren't picked!

Yes, all was fine and dandy with Dat hiding behind 4 DL.

He lasted 4 games in a 3-4.

wood28

Reaction score
why you want undersized LB when you can draft Lawson or Carpenter in 1st and Parham in 3rd :confused:

nathanlt

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure BP would prefer a 6-3/250 ILB who is faster than Jackson and has been in his system for 3 years already at UVA (Parham).

Jackson will end up at SS or ILB in a Tampa 2 somewhere 20-30 yards downfield 1/3 of the time.

I think it's more of a philosophy thing. I prefer a guy with devotion and work ethic over a guy with measurables and unrealized potential. The reason is that Parcells demands that kind of mindset from his players. Now, I won't feel bad if Dallas ends up with one of the marquee names with a lot of hype surrounding him, but I think multiplying picks for setting the future at O-line is the way to go.

Ending up with a solid player at LB who is a perfect fit for the team and 2 solid and developing offensive lineman is better than a premier LB, and only one pick in the second round.

We'll see what happens.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:

Parham's a good ILB but he's not very fast.

Tex

Reaction score
nathanlt said:
I think it's more of a philosophy thing. I prefer a guy with devotion and work ethic over a guy with measurables and unrealized potential. The reason is that Parcells demands that kind of mindset from his players. Now, I won't feel bad if Dallas ends up with one of the marquee names with a lot of hype surrounding him, but I think multiplying picks for setting the future at O-line is the way to go.

Ending up with a solid player at LB who is a perfect fit for the team and 2 solid and developing offensive lineman is better than a premier LB, and only one pick in the second round.

We'll see what happens.

except he doesnt even come close to fitting the type of linebacker needed in our defense. We need BIG bodies. And he doesnt come close to fitting the mold of as 3-4 LB. Maybe in JJ's 4-3 defense that featured small fast LB's but not in Parcells 3-4.

Tex

Rush 2112

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Parham's a good ILB but he's not very fast.

Parham is faster than James and he ran a 4.7.

I see Parham listed at 4.55.....we'll see how accurate that is soon.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Parham is faster than James and he ran a 4.7.

I see Parham listed at 4.55.....we'll see how accurate that is soon.

I'd love to see him post 4.6 or better. That 4.55 was coming out of high school, and as I understand it he has lost some speed due to a back problem a while ago. As you say, we'll see. I hope you're right. As a UVA alumn and huge fan, I have nothing but high hopes for Kai.