Trying to be objective, which playoff teams do you think have longer odds for SB than us?

_sturt_

Reaction score
I ask because I see posted on ESPN a ranking that has us only besting Philly in their power ranking.

Now, it's not precisely the same question--"which teams have longer odds" and "how would you rank the playoff teams," of course. The latter would seemingly be focused on the body of work for the season, while the question I've asked is more about evaluating each team as you see them right now in view of their chances to win 2-3 games against the best teams in their conferences.

So, are the Eagles the only team less likely to make it to SB Sunday than us?

I'll let others offer their takes, and chime in later with my own.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I ask because I see posted on ESPN a ranking that has us only besting Philly in their power ranking.

Now, it's not precisely the same question--"which teams have longer odds" and "how would you rank the playoff teams," of course. The latter would seemingly be focused on the body of work for the season, while the question I've asked is more about evaluating each team as you see them right now in view of their chances to win 2-3 games against the best teams in their conferences.

I think that’s pretty accurate. Since we swept Phil obviously we should be ahead of them but I’d argue they might be playing better than us now.

In the AFC hard to place us ahead of Colts or Texans. Maybe the Ravens.

But no way I could place us above the 10th out of 12 teams in playoffs until we see how we do against Seattle.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Here's what Vegas thinks. Seems about right. The last five champs were 1 seeds.

New Orleans Saints 5/2
Kansas City Chiefs 9/2
Los Angeles Rams 5/1
New England Patriots 6/1
Chicago Bears 8/1
Baltimore Ravens 14/1
Los Angeles Chargers 16/1
Dallas Cowboys 25/1
Houston Texans 25/1
Seattle Seahawks 25/1
Indianapolis Colts 25/1
Philadelphia Eagles 25/1

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

DFWJC

Reaction score

Like you said, the Espn ranking is NOT the same as playoff odds...due to home fields and general path to the title.

For example, ESPN may rank Dallas slightly lower than Seattle, but the game is in Dallas...and Dallas is favored slightly as a result. If the game was in Seattle, Dallas would be underdogs

JJHLH1

Reaction score
We are underdogs to do much in the playoffs. Which is never a bad position to be in.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rams may have the best chance if that D starts playing better. They have all the parts,as do the Saints.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’d say us, Philly and the Ravens have the worst chance at winning.

Rayman70

Reaction score
watch out for the colts in the afc. I think they could shock the world and make it to the AFC title game. If that happens, Luck should be the MVP and comeback player of the year. Chiefs vs Colts in the AFC Championship? Rams vs Saints? If we beat Seattle...we have to play the Rams.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
We can play our more tightened game plan this week against Seattle. Try to eek out a lower scoring game like 20-17, something like that. But next week, and from there forward, we will need to gamble and take huge risks to advance this team. Dak will have to be the Dak he was against the Giants and we will need to have him throw the football. light it up some, even if there are mistakes. We will not be going into NO and holding them to just 10 points again, in playoff game in their home field. If we win that game? It will be a shootout, so we need to just cut loose and go for it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I have a different take on how we should face Seattle. We need to run a spread offense...shock the defense out of the gate. Run a ton of 4,5 wides...split Jarwin out wide,make the defense account for him. THEN UNLEASH ZEKE UNDERNEATH.Lots of draws,screens..stuff like that. You beat an aggressive style of defense like Seattles with draws,screens and spreading them out and making them defend everyone. We have to unload the kitchen sink on them from start to finish.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
i have no opinion, every year this crap is pulled and sometimes no one sees the dark horse. thats why they just pick everyone.

Rayman70

Reaction score
if we play a conservative close game, we will lose via a phony call by the ref. I hate the idea of playing this game safe. We need to be the aggressor early on and often.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Looks about right. Funny thing is that a few weeks ago I would have said our defense was going to be the catalyst for this team in the playoffs. Now the offense is playing better and the defense has been getting gashed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Looks about right. Funny thing is that a few weeks ago I would have said our defense was going to be the catalyst for this team in the playoffs. Now the offense is playing better and the defense has been getting gashed.
we will be ready...no worries. THIS GAME SATURDAY is why we hired Kris Richard.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I would say the Seattle, Ravens, Philly and the texans are 4 teams I would put behind the Cowboys with odds of winning. The bears and us are about equal. Seattle has no shot because they play us :), I don't think the Ravens offense is good enough to win it all this year (no rookie QB ever has), I just hate philly so I am going with that and the Texans, I don't think their OL can hold up enough against the better teams to win 4 games in a row. I think the Colts are on the up swing, as long as Luck plays like he has been playing most of this year. I think we have a shot if we get the Dak that played the last game. If we get the Dak that has been playing most of the year, I don't like our chances.

75boyz

Reaction score
I would say the Seattle, Ravens, Philly and the texans are 4 teams I would put behind the Cowboys with odds of winning. The bears and us are about equal. Seattle has no shot because they play us :), I don't think the Ravens offense is good enough to win it all this year (no rookie QB ever has), I just hate philly so I am going with that and the Texans, I don't think their OL can hold up enough against the better teams to win 4 games in a row. I think the Colts are on the up swing, as long as Luck plays like he has been playing most of this year. I think we have a shot if we get the Dak that played the last game. If we get the Dak that has been playing most of the year, I don't like our chances.

It's weird, I watched Louis Riddick on NFL Live yesterday and kinda agree with him.

The Bears defense I watched is playing at a close to elite level. I think that might get them to the Final dance. Trubisky can do just enough to keep opposing defenses honest. Kinda like Dak. I think Baltimore's defense is second to the Bears. Jackson may or may not get hurt in the open field with his running so that is a real gamble/risk .
I think Dallas's defense is third to those 2 but have not looked as good in the past 3 games as in all the previous regular season games.
Very weird, but good overall defenses do usually play well, home or away.
And Chicago, Baltimore and Dallas QBs aren't exactly HOF caliber either...
Gonna be interesting for sure.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have the Cowboys at the 6th spot, right behind PHL. But they're very close and they have the toughest road starting off in CHI. However, if they can win in CHI, they can go back to the Big Dance. And PHL has the better QB for the playoffs.

I think CHI is going to regret beating MIN and helping PHL into the playoffs. PHL is easily the edgiest team in the playoffs and easiest to motivate.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That offense played better in one game, Nate, against a mediocre defense and gave up 35 on D.

And what was a plus, tackling, has fallen off and this is not really an opportunistic D.

The Cowboys chances in the playoffs come down to one thing for me, Zeke. If he can get loose and keep the DC's on edge, the Cowboys can stay with any NFC team. But, that must happen. Stop Zeke and stop the Cowboys.