Trying to remember this online bank card service

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I screwed up. I signed up for the trial period of an online streaming service. I decided it wasn't for me, so I was going to shut it off before the trial was over. However, the dirtbags didn't honor the agreement. I didn't get the 30-day trial. They went ahead and charged my card immediately. Now they don't even have any phone customer service. The only way I'm getting my money back is via my bank's anti-fraud department.

I don't want to let this happen again. I had heard of a service where you can create a virtual bank card and top it up with whatever money you want. For example, maybe you want to buy a guitar for $700, and so you top up your virtual Visa or Mastercard and pay for it with that one. Then you leave the card not topped up unless you have another purchase. That way if someone steals your card info somehow, they can't go charging a bunch of stuff on it.

I want to use this for any free trials. I'll show enough money on the card for the first payment, and then defund it. That way if they promised me a 14-day trial, and they decide it's a swell idea to go ahead and charge me on day 2, it won't work.

I forget the name of the service. It sounds like exactly what I need so that I don't have to buy Visa gift cards from WalMart, which might not even work anyway. It seems like a good way to protect yourself.

Creeper

Reaction score
I screwed up. I signed up for the trial period of an online streaming service. I decided it wasn't for me, so I was going to shut it off before the trial was over. However, the dirtbags didn't honor the agreement. I didn't get the 30-day trial. They went ahead and charged my card immediately. Now they don't even have any phone customer service. The only way I'm getting my money back is via my bank's anti-fraud department.

I don't want to let this happen again. I had heard of a service where you can create a virtual bank card and top it up with whatever money you want. For example, maybe you want to buy a guitar for $700, and so you top up your virtual Visa or Mastercard and pay for it with that one. Then you leave the card not topped up unless you have another purchase. That way if someone steals your card info somehow, they can't go charging a bunch of stuff on it.

I want to use this for any free trials. I'll show enough money on the card for the first payment, and then defund it. That way if they promised me a 14-day trial, and they decide it's a swell idea to go ahead and charge me on day 2, it won't work.

I forget the name of the service. It sounds like exactly what I need so that I don't have to buy Visa gift cards from WalMart, which might not even work anyway. It seems like a good way to protect yourself.

Citbank Mastercard used to have a service something like that but I don't know if anyone used it. You would get a 1 time credit card number to give to the vendor each time you made an online purchase. You would never use your actual credit card number. If someone stole the 1 time number it would be useless, like an expired credit card.

But typically all the major card issuers will reverse any charge you dispute. In this case if you dispute the charge and say it was unauthorized they will reverse it and investigate. Most times the vendors will not contest the dispute and just go along with the banks decisions. The card issuers can stop allowing a vendor to use their cards and that would be the death of any online vendor.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You could always just by a prepaid credit card.
For subscriptions I normally use Google Play
I buy so much each month in google play cards add it to my google play account.
That is how I pay my HBOMAX service. Youtube ad free and I have used it to pay for Paramount plus and Peacock,

If I go a length of time so that Disney has some new seasons of shows I like or just new shows that might interest me....I buy a prepaid credit card as I could not get theirs to work via google play,

Anytime I decide I want to buy items online i get the price with tax.shipping and get a prepaid card to pay for it.

I do not use a credit card and I never use my debit card, Not just online purchases but for other stuff as well.

My wife has had multiple troubles with people stealing her card info...I never have. I do have a debit card that comes with the bank account but again I never use it,

Too many people use the cards for everything, just handing it to strangers all the time in various different scenarios, too many people out there willing to steal your info and use it, No need to make it easier forthem

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a side not I just had to sign up for the 30 free trial for amazon prime to watch the one cowboys game.
I had no way to go around it as I am in a facility that has a block on most VPNs and sites that you could find the free game streams.

So signed up for it and just minutes after the game I removed the card info from my account. They had not gotten around to charging it and they were also not showing an area for me to cancel the service.
So I took the card info out
A couple days later I am getting emails saying I need to update my payment info, Also when I go on amazon it pops up saying i need to update payment info,
They will do this for a bit and just get tired and let it go, I did not wait for them to let me "cancel anytime" after they charge me

You could also do a paypal account. You could just keep enough money in it for these things I think you can transfer money from credit cards and debit cards to paypal

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
online shopping I only use prepaid cards
It is less headache