Video: Tua cleared for all football activity

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They say there is a chance he could get out of the top 5 and even get past San Diego. If that happens Dallas better move up.

I hope Dallas is at least considering Tua or Herbert instead of signing away our chances at winning a Super Bowl and caving to Dak’s demands.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They say there is a chance he could get out of the top 5 and even get past San Diego. If that happens Dallas better move up.

I hope Dallas is at least considering Tua or Herbert instead of signing away our chances at winning a Super Bowl and caving to Dak’s demands.

Aren’t you tired oh hating on Dak? You do it everyday. You must be insane because Dak is going to be your QB no matter how often you hate on him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Aren’t you tired oh hating on Dak? You do it everyday. You must be insane because Dak is going to be your QB no matter how often you hate on him.

I'm a Cowboys fan and not a Dak only fan and signing Dak to a big contract makes things difficult for the Cowboys and their Superbowl hopes whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

I'll shut up about Dallas not signing Dak when they actually commit to him and give him his contract.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan and not a Dak only fan and signing Dak to a big contract makes things difficult for the Cowboys and their Superbowl hopes whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

I'll shut up about Dallas not signing Dak when they actually commit to him and give him his contract.
And then you ***** and moan about Dak being overpaid no matter how he performs. So you’re not only an NFL scout but also a cap guru? Then tell us how the current offer is going to prohibit the team from making key acquisitions under the proposed new CBA.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And then you ***** and moan about Dak being overpaid no matter how he performs. So you’re not only an NFL scout but also a cap guru? Then tell us how the current offer is going to prohibit the team from making key acquisitions under the proposed new CBA.

No QB taking up 14% of the cap or more has won a championship.

The average % of SB winning QBs is 7.4%

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Like I said show me how a Dak contract is going to prevent the team from acquiring key players under the new CBA. Then show me how his contract is going to take up 14% under the new CBA.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Like I said show me how a Dak contract is going to prevent the team from acquiring key players under the new CBA. Then show me how his contract is going to take up 14% under the new CBA.

There is no new CBA.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

14% is a totally arbitrary cutoff, and correlation does not equal causation. The ~$12m difference between 14% next year ($28m) and 20% ($40m) is one solid player. Neither the Cowboys or any other team is made more or less a Super Bowl contender b/c they can or can't afford Darius Slay. Guys at that price range just aren't real difference makers.

Is the Chiefs window closed once they sign Mahomes? Texans and Watson?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
SF made the Super Bowl this year with Jimmy G on a big deal.

New England went to the Super Bowl the previous three times with Brady on a big deal.

Foles and Goff were both playing on cheap contracts, but Matt Ryan got his star money when the Falcons made the Super Bowl.

The year before that, you had Peyton Manning playing on a high-priced deal (and totally sucking FWIW).

I don't buy this notion at all that the only way to win a SB is to have a quarterback playing on a rookie contract. It's the most significant cost savings in the sport, but it's not the only way to skin the cat either.

And if you're only looking at QB cost savings on a rookie contract to justify the Tua pick, you also need to look at the cost savings of having vets replaced by 3+ first rounders, 3+ second rounders, and a couple 3rd rounders that you'd have to use for Tua's trade bait, cause that's going to be substantial on its own.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't buy this notion at all that the only way to win a SB is to have a quarterback playing on a rookie contract. It's the most significant cost savings in the sport, but it's not the only way to skin the cat either.

And if you're only looking at QB cost savings on a rookie contract to justify the Tua pick, you also need to look at the cost savings of having vets replaced by 3+ first rounders, 3+ second rounders, and a couple 3rd rounders that you'd have to use for Tua's trade bait, cause that's going to be substantial on its own.

I didn't say that but it clearly does help.

I said no QB has won a Superbowl with the QB taking up 14% or more of the teams cap space and that the average QB that wins it is taking up 7.4%.

You can not buy that notion but it's a fact.

My thought is that if i'm going to bet on my guy being an outlier that can win while taking up almost 20% of my cap is I would at least like him to be a truly elite QB and not a guy that couldn't do much of anything on his rookie deal with what many would call one of the most talented rosters in football.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I didn't say that but it clearly does help.

I said no QB has won a Superbowl with the QB taking up 14% or more of the teams cap space and that the average QB that wins it is taking up 7.4%.

You can not buy that notion but it's a fact.

My thought is that if i'm going to bet on my guy being an outlier I would at least like him to be a truly elite QB and not a guy that couldn't do much of anything on his rookie deal with what many would call one of the most talented rosters in football.

The sample size for that is so small that I'm not going to take it as definitive. There's only been 8 Super Bowl winners since the rookie wage scale started, and 3 of those were by the same team. Again, as soon as you include the conference champions that made the big dance but didn't win it and increase your sample by a few teams, that data point goes out the window. It's basically a cherry-picked factoid used to trash Dak.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The sample size for that is so small that I'm not going to take it as definitive. There's only been 8 Super Bowl winners since the rookie wage scale started, and 3 of those were by the same team. Again, as soon as you include the conference champions that made the big dance but didn't win it and increase your sample by a few teams, that data point goes out the window.

It goes back almost 30 years. Steve Young is one of the highest at 13% and he played on an all time great team.

I don't include conference champions because they didn't win the Superbowl.. I care about Superbowl winning teams. Not 2nd place.

IF you want to factor in 2nd place finishes then be my guest but I don't care to finish in 2nd or what their formula was to get there.

tm1119

Reaction score
This board is barely tolerable already...can we keep this mouth breather Dak discussion to the Fan Zone please? There’s enough of it there, no need for it to spill over to the draft zone.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New England went to the Super Bowl the previous three times with Brady on a big deal.
Foles and Goff were both playing on cheap contracts, but Matt Ryan got his star money when the Falcons made the Super Bowl.
The year before that, you had Peyton Manning playing on a high-priced deal (and totally sucking FWIW).

I believe Brady played on a team friendly deal and certainly NOT what he could have demanded based on his success.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score

SF had an elite defense and NE has always had a really good defense as well. If we could get that here then yeah you don’t need a cheaper QB to make the Super Bowl.