Turkey Day Mock (Bring on the boo birds)

The Realist

Reaction score
Gone in free agency - Spears, Hatcher, Hurd.

Resgin - Austin, Sensabaugh, Bowen (maybe)

Redo contract - Ratliff (way below market value)

1) Tyson Alualu 6-2/295 DE Cal - Plays all 3 DL positions in Cal's 3-4 D. Mainly at LDE. 3-4 DE who actually gets to the QB and makes plays on RB's. Married with 2 kids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72KQ_NzX8NU

2) Traded for 3 and 4

3a) Javier Arenas 5-9/198 PR/KR/CB Alabama

3b) Kyle Calloway 6-7/315 RT Iowa

4) Traded for 4 and 5

4a) Robert Johnson 6-2/202 FS Utah

4b) Eric Decker WR 6-3/215 WR Minnesota

5) Alfred Kenny 6-2/300 C WSU

6) Marshall Newhouse 6-3/320 G TCU

7)Will Barker 6-7 320 RT Virginia (Started 44+ straight games at RT)

Shady12

Reaction score
A little homeriffic here, but if they take a DE in the first couple rounds I want Lamarr Houston from Texas. 6'2" 300, a beast. Right now he's the most underrated prospect out there. First season at DT after spinning down from tailback to DE to DT. Disruptive and has the speed/quickness to play either DT or 4-3 DE in the NFL.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
No way we are drafting 8 guys this year. I hope we just draft 3 to 4 high quality players. We did our quantity last draft. How about we do some quality.

The Realist

Reaction score
Shady12;3104848 said:
A little homeriffic here, but if they take a DE in the first couple rounds I want Lamarr Houston from Texas. 6'2" 300, a beast. Right now he's the most underrated prospect out there. First season at DT after spinning down from tailback to DE to DT. Disruptive and has the speed/quickness to play either DT or 4-3 DE in the NFL.

I'm a fan of his as well.

I've had him in several of my mocks.

No way we are drafting 8 guys this year. I hope we just draft 3 to 4 high quality players. We did our quantity last draft. How about we do some quality.

We lose guys in FA every year.

On top of that you get rid of the garbage at the bottom of the roster.

Duke Preston, McQuistan, Watkins, Proctor

Guys we've drafted 4-7: James, MBIII, Choice, Ratliff, Crayton

Just because you are drafting them mid-late doesn't mean it's just a quantity draft.

The Realist

Reaction score
1) Tyson Alualu 6-2/295 DE Cal - Plays all 3 DL positions in Cal's 3-4 D. Mainly at LDE. 3-4 DE who actually gets to the QB and makes plays on RB's. Married with 2 kids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72KQ_NzX8NU

2) Traded for 3 and 4

4) Traded for 4 and 5

4b) Chris Scott OG/OT Tennessee

6) Taylor Price 6-1/210 WR Ohio

DFWJC

Reaction score
Trading a 4 for a 4 and 5 sounds like a nice deal. I have a twenty dollar bill if you'll give me 30 in return...deal? lol...jsut doggin' you.

I'd prefer to not trade down and add picks this year. I'd like top quality vs okay quality and quantity if possible.

The Realist

Reaction score
DFWJC;3106725 said:
Trading a 4 for a 4 and 5 sounds like a nice deal. I have a twenty dollar bill if you'll give me 30 in return...deal? lol...jsut doggin' you.

I'd prefer to not trade down and add picks this year. I'd like top quality vs okay quality and quantity if possible.

Staying put or moving up doesn't assure quality.

Trading down and acquiring more picks assures that you mitigate your risk.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Realist;3106726 said:
Staying put or moving up doesn't assure quality.

Trading down and acquiring more picks assures that you mitigate your risk.

True...nothing is assured.

But on average, the quality does decrease as get further into the draft. I guess the situation should dictate what you do--if a stud player is staring you in the face, then grab him...but if it looks like the value does not change much by dropping a few slots, by all mean take the extra picks. We have gotten a bit too cute in the past and have passed up future pro bowlers just to get an extra warm body.

The Realist

Reaction score
DFWJC;3106764 said:
True...nothing is assured.

But on average, the quality does decrease as get further into the draft. I guess the situation should dictate what you do--if a stud player is staring you in the face, then grab him...but if it looks like the value does not change much by dropping a few slots, by all mean take the extra picks. We have gotten a bit too cute in the past and have passed up future pro bowlers just to get an extra warm body.

I agree that we have gotten too cute in the past......

However I think that was during the Jones/Lacewell era and when Parcells had too much of a say and overruled scouts (Rogers, Peterman, Al Johnson, Skyler, Zuriel Smith, CB from UGA we took in 4).

Our depth in the 90's SB era is what caused us to be so dominant.

We owned people in all 3 phases....O, D and ST's.

Up and coming players in spots 40-53 goes a long, long way.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The Realist;3104243 said:
Gone in free agency - Spears, Hatcher, Hurd.

Resgin - Austin, Sensabaugh, Bowen (maybe)

Redo contract - Ratliff (way below market value)

2) Traded for 3 and 4

4) Traded for 4 and 5

4b) Eric Decker WR 6-3/215 WR Minnesota

6) Marshall Newhouse 6-3/320 G TCU

Spears or Hatcher might walk but not both.
No OT's in the 1st two rounds = Fail....

RS12

Reaction score
Why do people want to keep trading down in what is likely to be a very strong draft with all junior eligibles entering to beat a rookie cap in 2011? I dont get it. Get all you can at the top this year.