Turpin on a Pass play?

exciter

Reaction score
He's going to have to score multiple tds or break multiple long ones or he won't be in Dallas next year.
Not sure I’d go that far, they’re not really paying him anything in the grand scheme of things. Will depend on how optimistic they are that they can develop his route running. I just get a giggle from the idea that a player who’s been out of college since 2018 and was fairly average in college is going to come in a be some sort of super double secret weapon just because he runs 1/10 of a second faster than other, in a league where even the slow players are fast!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The beloved once a game, we know what's coming for 5 yards jet sweep is getting old. Can you all think of a reason why we wouldn't want to add this speed threat to our passing game?

Do they feel he's not ready, or him keeping the defense honest might hurt this teams success?? Please help me to understand. Let's stop waiting for guys to come back, and use the weapon that you do have!!!

He hasn't been called on yet.

We'll bring him in when we're down and need a spark. But I think the Cowboys understand he'll be limited due to his size.

I think he could be deadly, if there was a way to keep a 149 pound WR healthy in the NFL. But unfortunately there is not. It's difficult enough for guys who are 180 lbs. That's even considered smaller size for the NFL at pretty much all positions. Being 150ish gives you an advantage on some levels. But on the other hand, it could get you hurt.

The Cowboys have proven one thing. That is, if they are going to bring in younger, less experience players, they are intent on easing them in and not putting to much pressure on them early on.

I like that philosophy because WR is one of those positions that you really have to work to bring up to speed at the NFL level. Whereas in college, guys like Fehoko can get by on their raw athleticism.

Turpin is a 4.3 runner, Hill 4.29, Turpin is plenty fast. I do agree that anyone expecting him to be a key player this year is asking a lot but he is a WR who can make plays deep

I think he's a player who can beat you short, then rack up some YAC and really hurt you. But I can also see him fooling you short and then getting up field to get deep. His height is a huge disadvantage, especially in the redzone. Not to mention his weight is also a risk factor if you play him on those middle routes, where he's likely to have some success.

I just can't see him playing an entire game.

The Cowboys have proven to be a team that's content on staying with the shorter to medium range passes and haven't really established a deep game. That's what Amari Cooper was good for.

I still like our chances, even when Dak gets back. The Bucs have been making everyone's QB look stupid. And even Brady himself isn't looking all that great.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The beloved once a game, we know what's coming for 5 yards jet sweep is getting old. Can you all think of a reason why we wouldn't want to add this speed threat to our passing game?

Do they feel he's not ready, or him keeping the defense honest might hurt this teams success?? Please help me to understand. Let's stop waiting for guys to come back, and use the weapon that you do have!!!

Short guys are not the greatest deep threats, and Turpin was 4.5 in his 40. He's quick and has moves, he's not fast.

Pollard is taller, significantly thicker, and faster. He's always been the obvious guy to get matched up on a LB and sent deep, and still is.

Have we *ever* even *sent* Pollar deep, let alone targeted him deep?

GINeric

Reaction score
Short guys are not the greatest deep threats, and Turpin was 4.5 in his 40. He's quick and has moves, he's not fast.

Pollard is taller, significantly thicker, and faster. He's always been the obvious guy to get matched up on a LB and sent deep, and still is.

Have we *ever* even *sent* Pollar deep, let alone targeted him deep?

You said short guys are not the greatest deep threats???

Well I believe, Tyrik Hill, Steve Smith, DeSean Jackson, Gary Clark, Dante Hall and Wes Welker would probably all disagree agree with you.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Turpin is the size of a middle schooler. Him just running straight down the field isn’t necessarily going to open things up. If he doesn’t require a double team you just put the numbers more in favor of the defense to cover the other receivers by losing one of each and he isn’t likely coming down with a 50/50 ball. Plus with Rush even if he is able to get behind his man it’s going to be tough to hit him deep unless he gets the ball out real quick. So I think people are overestimating a little what just sending him on a go route will do. But, I am 100% onboard with this team needing to find a way to open things up and it was incredibly evident in week 1. I’m just not sure Turpin is the ideal guy but sure, give it a shot. I’d lean more towards Simi, but it’s gotta be someone. Please make it someone…

IMO Turpin is a guy that you just use in space around the LOS where he is a mismatch and try to get positive yards after the catch. Jet sweeps (not sure why so much negativity towards these in this thread), bubble screens and just dumping the ball off to him short and letting him try to use his elusiveness. I think he is a one to three touch per game player max but could be a nice weapon for us in that role.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You said short guys are not the greatest deep threats???

Well I believe, Tyrik Hill, Steve Smith, DeSean Jackson, Gary Clark, Dante Hall and Wes Welker would probably all disagree agree with you.

"Your general rule has exceptions, therefore it it totally false."

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He's going to have to score multiple tds or break multiple long ones or he won't be in Dallas next year.

Nah. Turpin is getting paid under a million a year for the next 3 years. If he's a good punt returner, we probably keep him for the entire contract. Anything else is gravy.

We have specifically drafted returners multiple times. Jerry will spend a roster spot on it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jet sweeps (not sure why so much negativity towards these in this thread), bubble screens and just dumping the ball off to him short and letting him try to use his elusiveness. I think he is a one to three touch per game player max but could be a nice weapon for us in that role.

I like jet sweeps as an option for the QB in combination with a draw option, and I like multiple simultaneous run threats in more than one direction at once. Put uncertainty in the mind of the defense. Take the option that looks most likely to work based on what you see in the defense.

But Pollard seems like the obvious choice for that as a legitimate RB.